black
    2000 trans am ws6

replacing stock speakers. what ones??

im replacing the door speakers and also the back seat speakers.. i was wondering what the best speakers would be to put in their place. what is the max rms allowed from the stock system. i was looking at speakers that have 35 max rms. is that acceptable?? thanx.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Of course that's acceptable....the wont be getting that much though, probably 20-25wRMS - so you are fine. Do you have Monsoon? That may effect what you do with rears depending on if you're gonna add a sub... Do you have an aftermarket HU? Try searching some -- or, even looking at the threads immediately below this one - as this has been discussed quite often recently.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

i do have the monsoon but i dont have anything else aftermarket.. i want to keep everything stock accept for the speakers.. any recomendations on what would be the best fit?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Best without running any new wires, modifying any speakers, etc....easiest most simple replacement - Infinity 62.7i's....no question about it IMO.

If not, you can purchase nearly any coaxial speaker and do one of the following on a Camaro:

-modify the speaker to act as 'components' (not easy on all speakers...may not want to cut apart new speakers)

-run wires to it from an aftermarket HU (you don't have one though)

-amp them separately (don't think you are interested in that)

-use just the woofer wires in the doors on your new coaxials (full signal, but less power)

-purchase a component set and mount the tweeter at the location of your choice (may not want the extra work, not completely worth it running it off of Monsoon amp, IMO -- and wouldn't be able to use the crossover supplied running off of the Monsoon amp, but that shouldn't cause any problems anyway, as the crossovers already in existence are probably close enough).

EDIT: crap......all of that was assuming a Camaro - you have several more options with your system, the above hold for the most part -- but a component set would allow you to retain the separate tweeter location, should you wish to do that.

=============================================

For the sails -- if you want bass still, I would recommend the eu700s -- actually, I have a write-up for them and that's how I found this site -- someone showed me that a writeup already existed, so...I wasted my time I guess. You can see more info at the sticky at the top of this page, or my link: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639901

black
    2000 trans am ws6

awesome.. thanx for the info..

black
    2000 trans am ws6

whats the difference between dual 2 and dual 4?? all i have is the stock monsoon amp and thats the way i would like to keep it.. what would be the more ideal speaker?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 6sw00 View Post
    whats the difference between dual 2 and dual 4?? all i have is the stock monsoon amp and thats the way i would like to keep it.. what would be the more ideal speaker?
    For the eu700s in the sails?

You want the dual 4 ohms, D4. Reason is because Pontiac Monsoon setups have dual 4 ohm subs in the sails, and this acts as a direct replacement.

Camaros have SVC 2 ohm subs, so with D4 subs the VC's are wired in parallel to achieve the 2 ohm impedance the amp likes to "see" -- keep in mind on the Pontiac version though, each voice coil is wired to a separate channel on the amp; so it actually likes to see a 4 ohm impedance in that sense.

If you were asking the difference between dual 2 and dual 4 ohms physically, it would be the impedance of each voice coil (there are 4 terminals unlike typical 2-terminal speakers). So, dual 2 ohm speakers have 2 voicecoils, each with an impedance of 2 ohms, and likewise for dual 4 ohm speakers. Dual 2 ohm speakers can be wired to achieve 2*2 (4 ohms total) or 2/2 (1 ohm) - either double of half (same idea for dual 4 ohms).

....hopefully one of those answers the question you asked

EDIT: VC = Voice Coil if you were unsure
    Last edited by fredmr85; 04-05-2007 at 01:24 AM.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

lol.. it is a very confusing topic if you dont know all about it.. but it did help me out.. again.. thanx for the info..

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

You might want to consider making your own speaker baffles to replace the plastic ones. Go to Page 4 of my Sound Domain site to read why.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

black
    2000 trans am ws6

interesting...

Thread Information