Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

white
    1998 Trans Am

replacing stock speakers

well since i got my trans am the speakers have been blown.. ive been fixing other things on my car but now its time to replace some speakers.. i love the sound of my exhaust, but i do like music too.. so with the back speakers i went with memphis car audio PR62V2 and for the fronts one series up with the MC6202.. both 6 1/2 inch speakers.. paired with a memphis audio 250 watt mid range amp and a pioneer head unit, this should sound great.. also with the whole system being memphis, i get a 2 year free replacement warranty.. looking at possibly some subs too.. not sure if i want to get a box from subthump with the holes cut to hold the t-tops or just a single 10 in the hollow compartment in the rear.. still trying to decide on this.. either way, its sure to sound great

Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

I am needing to replace my driver's side speaker that sits in the back seat area. Any suggestions on where to order? I was thinking ebay as I have had good luck with electronics on there. I only need the one and not a set or a system so I thought it would be a better option than paying full retail at an electronics store. Also, I bought a 10 in alpine type R for the hollow space in the trunk hull. The magnet was too big to fit in the custom box I bought but I shaved the box down to make it fit. I would go with a ten inch in the hollow space. With all the glass in the rear a solid ten will do the trick.

white
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SactownHuskers View Post
    I am needing to replace my driver's side speaker that sits in the back seat area. Any suggestions on where to order? I was thinking ebay as I have had good luck with electronics on there. I only need the one and not a set or a system so I thought it would be a better option than paying full retail at an electronics store. Also, I bought a 10 in alpine type R for the hollow space in the trunk hull. The magnet was too big to fit in the custom box I bought but I shaved the box down to make it fit. I would go with a ten inch in the hollow space. With all the glass in the rear a solid ten will do the trick.
    If you can't find a local dealer with prices you like, you can always try onlinecarstereo.com. They have some good stuff on there for pretty cheap

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Thanks man. Do you by chance know what the size is for the speakers in the back seat? I believe it'd be something like 6 in. but can't find the exact specs and haven't dug it out yet.
    Half cocked, Full Throttle!
    2001 Black Trans Am WS6 M6
    1986 383 Stroker Red Chevrolet Camaro
    2006 Blue Kawasaki ZX6R 636

white
    1998 Trans Am

The front door and the rears are both 6 1\2 and there are speakers in the very back of the hatch too. Not sure the size of those. Soimething like 3 inch with a tweeter. But I wouldn't worry about those

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Yep. I figured 6.5. I've heard Memphis speakers are good bang for the buck. Any other suggestions on brands?

white
    1998 Trans Am

well i just bought memphis for my back speakers and got the pair for $98 bucks.. i think thats a good deal.. they have redone their line of products and have a great product for the price.. as for other brands, you are going to get what you pay for.. kicker, alpine, infinity all make good products.. i would say go to a local shop and hear some of the brands in person and then make a decision based on what sounds good for you.. onlinescarstereo has good deals, but unless you are going to install them, you are still going to have to pay to have them installed.. i got lucky and we have a new audio shop here in town and they have great prices.. i can do the work myself, but for warranty sake, i will let them install everything..

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Sounds good. Thanks for the help. Need to get my speaker installed stat. Sounds horrible and drives me nuts.

white
    1998 Trans Am

yeah i know what you mean.. but i would suggest getting a pair, not just replacing 1 speaker.. especially if 1 is stock and you buy an aftermarket speaker. it will not sound right at all

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Ok. I'm kind've an Alpine guy so I might go with these: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS6...Brand%7cAlpine

white
    1998 Trans Am

i believe those will sound good.. alpine makes good stuff.. but once you replace the rears with those, you will want to replace the front ones as well. it will give you alot better sound having aftermarket speakers all the way around

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

Tried a copy and paste to "onlinecarstereo.com." and the its listed as under construction??

white
    1998 Trans Am

no.. i just went to it.. www.onlinecarstereo.com

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

Your right it worked when I hit your link but not when I copied. Oh well. Thanks.

white
    1998 Trans Am

lol.. sometimes you have to type the www part in there

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Ok. I am going with the Alpine component system that has tweeters and woofers for the front door and the back seat speakers. Question now is will my Monsoon head unit be capable of connecting to/powering my alpine ten inch sub or will i have to buy an after market head unit for that?

white
    1998 Trans Am

so this is what my door speakers and sail panel speakers look like.. pretty shot huh?

white
    1998 Trans Am

new memphis audio 6 1/2 inch with cross over.. much better material..and yes the my cat approves..lol

and the same size but 1 series below the fronts.. no cross over..

white
    1998 Trans Am