Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Replacing the center and rear speakers

This is a discussion on Replacing the center and rear speakers within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; You could just remove the factory speakers and replace them with new one. The only thing to check on is ...

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

You could just remove the factory speakers and replace them with new one. The only thing to check on is whether or not the sail speakers are 2 or 4 ohm and single or double input.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Thanks. I'm pretty sure all of the factory speakers for the Monsoon system are 2 ohm. I've already had 4 ohm MB Quart speakers installed in the doors and they sound great. I had them professionally installed though, so they may have done something different.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    You could just remove the factory speakers and replace them with new one. The only thing to check on is whether or not the sail speakers are 2 or 4 ohm and single or double input.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Some were 4 some were 2 and it differed between camaro and firebird.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Hmmm...perhaps mine are 4 ohm then, seeing as I've got those 4 ohm aftermarkets working fine in the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Some were 4 some were 2 and it differed between camaro and firebird.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Hmmm...perhaps mine are 4 ohm then, seeing as I've got those 4 ohm aftermarkets working fine in the doors.
    Nope. The subs are 2 ohm in our cars.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Nope. The subs are 2 ohm in our cars.
    Okay, thanks Dena. What about the rears? And I assume the door speakers are 4 ohm?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Okay, thanks Dena. What about the rears? And I assume the door speakers are 4 ohm?
    2 ohm mids and 4 ohm tweeters mounted coaxially in the door. 4 ohm in the hatch.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

2 ohm mids and 4 ohm tweeters mounted coaxially in the door. 4 ohm in the hatch.
    What series of Kicker mids are you running? I may go with that as MB Quart doesn't offer any mid range subs.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

What series of Kicker mids are you running? I may go with that as MB Quart doesn't offer any mid range subs.
    I've got the Kicker CVT65, 2 ohm.

Oh, and wanted to add that 4 ohm for the doors is fine. But, the mid are powered off the amp at 2 ohm and the tweeters off the HU at 4 ohm.

I have completely separate tweeters.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I've got the Kicker CVT65, 2 ohm.

Oh, and wanted to add that 4 ohm for the doors is fine. But, the mid are powered off the amp at 2 ohm and the tweeters off the HU at 4 ohm.

I have completely separate tweeters.
    Is it this one?
    http://www.kicker.com/comp_vt

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yup, the CVT65's

They were recommended to me by the guys at Sound man out here in Santa Clarita. They do nothing but car stereos. They did the custom tweeter pods for me and installed the speakers in the doors too. Shoot, I was happily surprised to find out they were still around because they did my entire Kenwood sound system in my 69 1/2 Chevelle back in 1990.

But, while I have the Kickers, I have not had them installed yet. I went to do it myself and realized that I couldn't just bolt them up like I could the stockers or the rears. I just haven't gotten around to making that appointment for them to install them for me. It takes me forever to take care of things like this it seems these days

But, one of the guys there has a super nice stock 2001 Camaro and he had me sit in his car and his system sounded great. Just like us, in that car, he has the stock Monsoon HU and amp. He apparently shows that car. He also has a 79 Camaro and that one is a thumper from hell! Totally custom and could rock a block party

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Yup, the CVT65's

They were recommended to me by the guys at Sound man out here in Santa Clarita. They do nothing but car stereos. They did the custom tweeter pods for me and installed the speakers in the doors too. Shoot, I was happily surprised to find out they were still around because they did my entire Kenwood sound system in my 69 1/2 Chevelle back in 1990.

But, while I have the Kickers, I have not had them installed yet. I went to do it myself and realized that I couldn't just bolt them up like I could the stockers or the rears. I just haven't gotten around to making that appointment for them to install them for me. It takes me forever to take care of things like this it seems these days

But, one of the guys there has a super nice stock 2001 Camaro and he had me sit in his car and his system sounded great. Just like us, in that car, he has the stock Monsoon HU and amp. He apparently shows that car. He also has a 79 Camaro and that one is a thumper from hell! Totally custom and could rock a block party
    That's great to know it still sounds great with the factory HU and amp. I was thinking I could just buy both the mids and rear 4s and it would be a simple swap. That's not the case, huh?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That's great to know it still sounds great with the factory HU and amp. I was thinking I could just buy both the mids and rear 4s and it would be a simple swap. That's not the case, huh?
    Ha! that's what I thought too

The rears are easy. But, I opened the box on the kickers, took out my subs, was ready to go and then realized that they would not just bolt up. There would have to be a little fabrication involved and I was not up for the job

So, I hooked the stockers back up and just kind of let it be. But, then the stock subs started making noise and sounded like crap. So, I need to get my butt in gear and get these kickers installed. I'm not going to mess it myself. These days... I prefer to pay someone to go through the headache

Also, if you do the subs yourself, just remember when removing them to hold onto the clips cause they slip and fall and you can't always retrieve them

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Ha! that's what I thought too

The rears are easy. But, I opened the box on the kickers, took out my subs, was ready to go and then realized that they would not just bolt up. There would have to be a little fabrication involved and I was not up for the job

So, I hooked the stockers back up and just kind of let it be. But, then the stock subs started making noise and sounded like crap. So, I need to get my butt in gear and get these kickers installed. I'm not going to mess it myself. These days... I prefer to pay someone to go through the headache

Also, if you do the subs yourself, just remember when removing them to hold onto the clips cause they slip and fall and you can't always retrieve them
    If there's gonna be any fabrication that needs to be done, I'll just have someone install them for me. If you say the 4s are easy, I'll probably do those myself. You said you have put after markets in for the rears already?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yeah. The rears are a piece of cake. You need to drill out the rivets. That is the only pain in the butt.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Yeah. The rears are a piece of cake. You need to drill out the rivets. That is the only pain in the butt.
    I'll take a look at that this evening when I get home. Thanks again Dena!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I'll take a look at that this evening when I get home. Thanks again Dena!
    No problem. Just passing along the info I got here when I needed it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information