Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Replacing the center and rear speakers

I've already replaced both door speakers that went out on me and had the set of MB Quart Reference Series 6.5s I've had sitting around put in them. But, now I'm looking at swapping out the center and rears too. I spoke with a local car stereo store and they suggested Kenwoods and I went by there and listened to a set of 6.5s they had on display and liked the sound. Mind you, I'm not looking for the end all supreme in sound for the car as I rarely drive it. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck as I know these other factory Delcos will go out on me. I can get the pair of these Kenwoods for $120 and a pair of Kenwood 4s for the rear for around $80 from them.

The sales guy did tell me alot of folks with our cars only install the center panel speakers and reroute the wiring from the rears to the centers to give them more juice and simply do away with the two 4s in the rear.

One other drawback (I know) is I'd really prefer to keep the factory head unit.

What have you guys done or do you have any suggestions?
    Last edited by SiggyZ; 10-21-2009 at 04:54 PM.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

The centers are subs.

Using the hook ups from the rear in the center with 6.5s is brought up a lot here though as the better idea.

No 4's sound very good imo

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    The centers are subs.

Using the hook ups from the rear in the center with 6.5s is brought up a lot here though as the better idea.

No 4's sound very good imo
    Thanks Dena. That's what I may end up doing. I wanted to see if the sales guy knew what he was talking about first. The guys there are usually pretty knowledgeable on the industry. I might even look into an amp to help push them since I'd really rather stay with the factory head unit.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I just had a close listen to the center subs in my car and they aren't even running right now. That's strange. I suppose it doesn't matter, seeing as I'll be replacing them soon with the Kenwoods.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

They really don't make much sound anyway. They kind of thump a little. Mine are a bit blown. They are starting to make that annoying vibrating noise.

But, I have a set of Kickers I'm going to put in there someday. I have to tweak it a little bit. I did buy some 4" Polk's to replace the rears, but, honestly... I pretty much keep my fade more up front anyway. They don't do much. My front speakers are way better.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

They really don't make much sound anyway. They kind of thump a little. Mine are a bit blown. They are starting to make that annoying vibrating noise.

But, I have a set of Kickers I'm going to put in there someday. I have to tweak it a little bit. I did buy some 4" Polk's to replace the rears, but, honestly... I pretty much keep my fade more up front anyway. They don't do much. My front speakers are way better.
    Perhaps mine are blown too. I couldn't even see any movement out of them when I checked a bit ago. The MB Quarts I have in the doors are pretty good aftermarket speakers and they put out some great sound.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

A better way to tell is to feel them.

I can't really hear mine either unless they start that crackling thing. But, if I take the cover off, I can feel them.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

A better way to tell is to feel them.

I can't really hear mine either unless they start that crackling thing. But, if I take the cover off, I can feel them.
    If they're working and you can't see them move much at all, but doubt they've been doing much good since brand new.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    If they're working and you can't see them move much at all, but doubt they've been doing much good since brand new.
    Well, that may seem logical, but at least with my stock Monsoon subs... it's not the case. Even with the bass all the way up, I couldn't 'see' them move. But, when I touched them, I felt them vibrate even though I really couldn't hear them all that well.

That is why I originally bought the kickers, because I didn't feel the stock subs worked good enough. I bought them before the stock subs started making that noise

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Well, that may seem logical, but at least with my stock Monsoon subs... it's not the case. Even with the bass all the way up, I couldn't 'see' them move. But, when I touched them, I felt them vibrate even though I really couldn't hear them all that well.

That is why I originally bought the kickers, because I didn't feel the stock subs worked good enough. I bought them before the stock subs started making that noise
    In other words, they suck pond water. Are you gonna reroute the signal and not use the two rear 4" speakers once you have the Kickers installed?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

In other words, they suck pond water. Are you gonna reroute the signal and not use the two rear 4" speakers once you have the Kickers installed?
    Yeah, I personally think they suck

No, my kickers are 6.5's to use in the sail panels.

I had thought about putting two 10's in the back, but, lets face it... my car is still kind of a grocery getter and I need that space

Although, I may end up putting at least one back there where the CD changer goes and if I did do that, yes, I would reroute the rear wires to the centers and stick a couple of good speakers in there

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Yeah, I personally think they suck

No, my kickers are 6.5's to use in the sail panels.

I had thought about putting two 10's in the back, but, lets face it... my car is still kind of a grocery getter and I need that space

Although, I may end up putting at least one back there where the CD changer goes and if I did do that, yes, I would reroute the rear wires to the centers and stick a couple of good speakers in there
    No, I mean't will you be disabling the two rear 4s when you install the 6.5 Kickers in the sail panels?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

No, I mean't will you be disabling the two rear 4s when you install the 6.5 Kickers in the sail panels?
    Probably not. The subs won't make that huge a difference. They are just little subs after all. The rears give a little 'depth' I guess you could call it. Not a great sound on their own. But, in conjunction with the other 6, it's doable.

No need to delete them all together just because I am upgrading the center subs imo

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Probably not. The subs won't make that huge a difference. They are just little subs after all. The rears give a little 'depth' I guess you could call it. Not a great sound on their own. But, in conjunction with the other 6, it's doable.

No need to delete them all together just because I am upgrading the center subs imo
    Maybe I should instead get a good set of aftermarket subs to replace those factory ones in the sail panels and also upgrade the factory 4's to some better speakers as well?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Maybe I should instead get a good set of aftermarket subs to replace those factory ones in the sail panels and also upgrade the factory 4's to some better speakers as well?
    I would do that first. But, that's just me. I like some bass and just two sets of Coaxials doesn't cut if for me. Some like it fine though. However, like I said, if I was to put in a couple of 10's in the back, then I'd go with two.

I also want to keep the stock HU. Well, if someone would make a really nice 1.5 DIN I would probably upgrade... But, there really aren't any worth it to me.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I would do that first. But, that's just me. I like some bass and just two sets of Coaxials doesn't cut if for me. Some like it fine though. However, like I said, if I was to put in a couple of 10's in the back, then I'd go with two.

I also want to keep the stock HU. Well, if someone would make a really nice 1.5 DIN I would probably upgrade... But, there really aren't any worth it to me.
    That's what I'd rather do too and I want to keep the factory head unit also. The sales guy told me by keeping the factory head unit, I won't get the best performance from simply swapping out the factory speakers for new ones, but the MB Quarts in the doors sound great as and they didn't even use the crossovers that came with each speaker. Maybe get a better amp and use that over the factory amp? I've got the Monsoon system too and I remember it was rated at 500 peak watts.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I don't know much about amps. And, don't really remember what I've read about bypassing the stock amp

But, others here do and would have a better idea than I.

I'm not really looking for a kick ass stereo these days. If I was, the whole Monsoon system would be gone. That I do know.

I just want a good sounding system that when I want it loud, it still has a good sound to it. But, I don't drive around with it blaring like I used to back in the day

I did have custom tweeter pods made for my front speakers though. I think that sounds better. They are up top of the doors.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I don't know much about amps. And, don't really remember what I've read about bypassing the stock amp

But, others here do and would have a better idea than I.

I'm not really looking for a kick ass stereo these days. If I was, the whole Monsoon system would be gone. That I do know.

I just want a good sounding system that when I want it loud, it still has a good sound to it. But, I don't drive around with it blaring like I used to back in the day

I did have custom tweeter pods made for my front speakers though. I think that sounds better. They are up top of the doors.
    That's exactly what I'm looking for too. I good sounding system with better/more reliable speakers. A good bang for the buck.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Replacing the sail speakers with a 6 1/2 sub and the rear 4" with new will make a difference. If you check the rear you might be able to stick in a 5 1/4 with minimal adjustments. If you just want some better sound quality this will help. Then you will be able to add an amp later on if you want more.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Would that require any rewiring or adjusting anywhere or could I just pull the factory speakers out and replace them with new ones and be done with it?

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Replacing the sail speakers with a 6 1/2 sub and the rear 4" with new will make a difference. If you check the rear you might be able to stick in a 5 1/4 with minimal adjustments. If you just want some better sound quality this will help. Then you will be able to add an amp later on if you want more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information