black
    1998 ram air m6 ws6

Replacement speakers

I'm on my second set of sail panel speakers,and these are rattling again.I have a 98 ram air with the monsoon system.Does anyone know of a better replacement speaker that is compatible with the monsoon amp?

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

FYI: speaker damage occurs more frequently from under-power (amp) at given volume than quality of speaker. perhaps it is time to look into subs/amp (even in sail panels) to get the low end response you are tying to get from the monsoon amp and speakers. Maybe look into the stealth box for a 10" sub as an alternative to sail speakers.

black
    1998 ram air m6 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    FYI: speaker damage occurs more frequently from under-power (amp) at given volume than quality of speaker. perhaps it is time to look into subs/amp (even in sail panels) to get the low end response you are tying to get from the monsoon amp and speakers. Maybe look into the stealth box for a 10" sub as an alternative to sail speakers.
    Just looking for a quality replacement speaker,I don't want any boxes or subs in my t/a. I'd love to do it,but really don't want them in there.
    What you refer to is called clipping.It's when you turn up the volume too loud and actually cause the signal from the amp to clip (or distort),thus causing the speaker to recieve a signal that is not in a true wave form.This would destory the speaker and does in alot of systems.Anybody know what the monsoon amp produces per channel @ 4 ohms? I was just wondering if anyone had already replaced these with a different speaker and had any good results.Thanks for the help!

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

cool--you already understand what i'm getting at...i think you would be better off leaving 6.5 mids if not something bigger in the sail panels with a larger amp. for bass response as opposed to another set of speakers on the monsoon amp. i had the monsoon system and was very dissatisfied...luckily i was already planning on replacing it with the system i had in my grand prix previously. You can see my current system in the 'post your system' thread. I understand wanting the 'stealth' look without sacrificing space for a pricey new system. I have used stock speakers on quality ams with great results in the past. Stock speakers will sound good, but not last as long under more power. Maybe a quality set of mid-bass 6.5 drivers in the stock sail panel holes on a good 150x2 RMS amp hidden would be a satisfactory solution. I just don't think simply replacing sail speakers with more expensive options will yield results. These will get ruined by the underpowered amp as well. If you are happy with the performance of the rest of the system, reinforce your low frequency response with a hidden amplifier and speakers for $400-up--you will be happy and not have to replace abused speakers/amps.

Thread Information