Black
    1995 Firebird

Question Remote start on a....manual?

I can't even begin to fathom how to do this. I talked to a local automotive electronics shop and they said the only setup they knew of was pretty pointless as you had to park the car, turn it off, "remote start it", then get out and turn it off.....and then the next time it will be fine to "remote start". Sounds pointless and I don't get how it will still not cause the car to start driving on its own if in gear. I had a friend say I would have to leave the car in neutral, but I like the security of leaving it in gear as I don't trust my e-brake to hold the car. There has to be a way to bypass the clutch untill I take it over right? What are your thoughts? Thanks

@#$% You I'm from TEXAS Rojerlockless's Avatar

ASC# 285 Born Oct 26 2001
    2002 Collectors EDTA

someone on the forum here has done it but he also said DON'T LEAVE IT IN GEAR because if you remote start it the car has enough torque to start in gear and it will proceed to drive it''self in first gear down the street... lol

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

There are kits out there that will automatically put it in neutral when you use the remote start.

Some sort of clutch disable switch...

Quote Originally Posted by Rojerlockless View Post
    someone on the forum here has done it but he also said DON'T LEAVE IT IN GEAR because if you remote start it the car has enough torque to start in gear and it will proceed to drive it''self in first gear down the street... lol
    that has actualy happened. a woman leaned on her keys while in her pocket and her car drove down the street into a neighbors house

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    There are kits out there that will automatically put it in neutral when you use the remote start.

Some sort of clutch disable switch...
    So I park the car, ebrake and its in gear, and when I go to remote start it it puts the car in neutral???

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird Phoenix View Post
    So I park the car, ebrake and its in gear, and when I go to remote start it it puts the car in neutral???
    Engages the clutch or something like that.
    Not sure if or how it works on all kinds of clutches.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney2677 View Post
    that has actualy happened. a woman leaned on her keys while in her pocket and her car drove down the street into a neighbors house
    seen a video a few years back like that - an older lambo on a small stage at a car show - they hit the button and the lambo hits a tree!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Engages the clutch or something like that.
    Not sure if or how it works on all kinds of clutches.
    That doesn't sound feasible. You'd have to have a pretty strong motor to push the clutch down. And how would the system know what gear the transmission is in so that it can push the stick into neutral??

LOL even if there was way to have it take out of gear to start the car what happens if your brake is not on LOL your car will go driving down the streat as well not worth even thinging about oh yea if you remote start and something happen your insurance will not cover the accident because it is IIleagle to have remote start on a stick

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

there are kits. I believe autoloc sells it (or one of its partners...maybe steller?) It somehow knows when the car is in gear and if so, it simply won't try to start the car. So, you'd have to leave the car in neutral when planning on remote starting it.

Black
    2005 GTO

Seems like I have read some where someone used a normal kit on there manual. If I remember correct the only thing stoping it from working is the clutch pedal switch. If its not depressed the car will not start. Not exactly sure how he did it but I would imagine you could either just bypass the switch(which its there for safety reasons like others have stated, if you leave it in gear it could roll away) or tape it down so its always depressed.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Many manual trans cars have a neutral sensing switch that is used for the computer. IDK if the T56 has one or not.

The kit would have to tap into something like that to prevent starting in gear.

I can't imagine what kind of hydraulic/mechanical contraption would be installed to manually activate the clutch remotely or move the stick into neutral. Especially something that would be totally out of the way of the driver.

As far as bypassing the clutch switch, very easy to do. Common off-roading mod. My 4x4 pickup is a 5 speed and I have a rocker switch that bypasses the clutch interlock so that I can start it in gear on hills. Rolling backwards while waiting those milliseconds for the clutch to engage sux, and the tires are guaranteed to spin possibly spinning you sideways on the hill

Much better to put it in low range and start it in gear.

I would think a kit like that would be an open invitation to shyster lawyers everywhere.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by CJREX; 02-03-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

T56 has a neutral saftey sensor on it.

Only reason I know is I had to get it replaced.

Thread Information