Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Reducing Monsoon distortion?

This is a discussion on Reducing Monsoon distortion? within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; My monsoon amp is located right behind the spare tire of my car....

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

My monsoon amp is located right behind the spare tire of my car.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

as long as you have a coupe, (maybe even a convertible,) your amp should be located a few inches forward of your spare tire. This is the removable panel in the passenger-side hatch area.

you don't need to do anything special to wire in a new headunit. I bought the $6.99 wiring harness from Wal-Mart that even came with the antenna adapter.

The mounting kit is a whole other story though... the Wal-Mart (scoche,) sticks out like 3 inches from the dash... I hate it... I'm leaning towards the ones from humount.com...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

oh and it seems that a few members on here believe (I can't confirm this,) that you can simply wire the RCA output of a headunit straight to the speaker-level inputs on the monsoon amplifier.

the benefit is that you wont have the internal amplifier of the headunit itself causing distortion... since normally the monsoon amp takes the speaker-level input, it will just be amplifying a bad signal... with the RCAs you shouldn't have to worry about distortion... other than the monsoon amp being overworked, that is

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

RCA level outputs can distort just as badly as speaker level outputs. I use an O-scope to set my amplifier's gain levels and part of setting up the system is determining when the RCA outputs begin to clip the output signal. My Alpine HU's volume control goes up to 35 but I can only turn it up to 30 before the signal begins to clip.

If you don't like the way most dash kits make the HU stick out of the dash you can always use the Metra 99-3009 flush mount dash kit. Thats what I used to mount my Alpine HU and then dressed it up with a custom trim ring made by Mike over at F-Body Audio.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bene
    My monsoon amp is located right behind the spare tire of my car.
    Thanks, that's more weight that can come out of back there. I'll be looking for it tommorow. Is that location on the Firebird or Camero?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by sidonsbones
    Thanks, that's more weight that can come out of back there. I'll be looking for it tommorow. Is that location on the Firebird or Camero?
    I've never seen the POS Monsoon amp behind the spare in a T/A or a Camaro. It's always been above the rear wheel on the passenger side. It's mounted on a plastic plate and is on the fender side of that plate.

black
    2001 ss camaro

bill

qpen the spare tire compartment,look or feel in the direction of the front of the car,that square black box with wires coming out of it shuld be your amp,or it is on my 01 ss

black
    2001 ss camaro

bill

my spare is on the right side,just behind the rear tire,the amp is not behind the tire but as i said in the direction of the front of the car,and i think it is almost on top of the right rear tire

Torque Junky

Blue on White & Dark Blue
    70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

Cool, good to know that the HU can be wired up without any trouble. I've ordered a Pioneer DEH-P4800MP (and wheel control converter) from Crutchfield, it includes the trim ring to fit the 1.5 din slot. Will let you folks know how it goes.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal
    RCA level outputs can distort just as badly as speaker level outputs. I use an O-scope to set my amplifier's gain levels and part of setting up the system is determining when the RCA outputs begin to clip the output signal. My Alpine HU's volume control goes up to 35 but I can only turn it up to 30 before the signal begins to clip.

If you don't like the way most dash kits make the HU stick out of the dash you can always use the Metra 99-3009 flush mount dash kit. Thats what I used to mount my Alpine HU and then dressed it up with a custom trim ring made by Mike over at F-Body Audio.
    Click for full size

good lord! I need that mounting kit!! I'm thinkin of going with humount.com... but I wasn't sure if they sold the mounting kit and plate all for $40 or what...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information