Thread: Recommend?

red
    1996 Z28 SS

Recommend?

Hey guys I am finally back in a Camaro just got 1996 Z28 SS Convertible. Now I have been out of the stereo game for a few years now so I have no clue what is on the market. Doing research now but would love to get some opinions.

What I want: For now I just want to replace the 2 front and 2 sail speakers as well as the stock HU.

HU:Price dosent really matter to much though not some crazy amount. Thinking 200-400. Want Satelite rdy as well as MP3/CD.

Mids/tweets:Want really good quality sound. Would like to get some good bass out of them since I will be waiting on installing Subs for a while. I really do want quality sound though. Price: Same as above not crazy amount, but would rather spend a bit more here to get the quality Im looking for.

Amp?

So thats where I am at now. Eventually I will be throwing a Sub or 2 in but want to do some other things to the car first.

Thanks for the help

Joe

Black
    01 Trans Am

I've got an eclipse h/u in mine and replaced all the factory speakers with focals, unbelievable sound. I also put an eclipse sub in the hole in the back on the drivers side. All powered by an eclipse amp.

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

I have a Kenwood Exchelon HU right now, but I think I would go with one of the new Pioneers if I could now.

Hifonics Amps are pretty much the thing. Don't buy the RF's/Sony/JVC/Alpines from Circuit city...overpriced for the power you get. Hifonics makes the best amp's for the buck, and they look better than most installed.

I have Alpine S series component sets in the front doors. They are a direct bolt up. Even the tweeter is easily installed if your car came with a decent tweet. (I've heard your speaker grill is not removable from the front in your car so be careful not to break it trying during your install).

In the rear I have S series 6x9's shoehorned in the grills under the hatch (these barely fit, and you will have to be crafty to get them in there, but they will go. The Drivers side was the problem fit for me, but I wanted to put them in there so the stock grill would go back on them) I didn't put anything in those back seat panels. There isn't enough room for a "sub" in there anyhow. The speakers that are in there are puny excuses for subs. If you are going to the trouble of putting all that in you might as well get a sub and put it in the drivers side void. Subthump.com sells a box already made for a 10 in there. I have a Alpine S series 10incher in there as well. My amps are on a rack on the back wall of the car. I can still put my tops in the t-top holder.

Quote Originally Posted by morikk
    Hey guys I am finally back in a Camaro just got 1996 Z28 SS Convertible. Now I have been out of the stereo game for a few years now so I have no clue what is on the market. Doing research now but would love to get some opinions.

What I want: For now I just want to replace the 2 front and 2 sail speakers as well as the stock HU.

HU:Price dosent really matter to much though not some crazy amount. Thinking 200-400. Want Satelite rdy as well as MP3/CD.

Mids/tweets:Want really good quality sound. Would like to get some good bass out of them since I will be waiting on installing Subs for a while. I really do want quality sound though. Price: Same as above not crazy amount, but would rather spend a bit more here to get the quality Im looking for.

Amp?

So thats where I am at now. Eventually I will be throwing a Sub or 2 in but want to do some other things to the car first.

Thanks for the help

Joe

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Alpine makes great h/u i know here in chicago the police put the kibash on the fold out head units. all of them are illegal

i am gonna go mb quart for mids and highs all of their stuff is top notch!!!

for my subs im going with jl audio 12's with a jl audio 1000 amp.

a company makes a special enclosure for the camaros and t/a where you can still securly store you t-tops in the well. i cannot wait. i dont want the stealth boxes at all.
    Whisper Lid/SLP HarmonicBalancer/MAFTranslator/DiabloTuner A-Pillar Gauges (Aem Uego A/F,Trans Temp, D-Pic)Magnaflow CB w/CME Tips/ Eibach Pro Kit/ Brembo Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/ H.I.D.Kit

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SSNAKEATER23
    Alpine makes great h/u i know here in chicago the police put the kibash on the fold out head units. all of them are illegal

i am gonna go mb quart for mids and highs all of their stuff is top notch!!!

for my subs im going with jl audio 12's with a jl audio 1000 amp.

a company makes a special enclosure for the camaros and t/a where you can still securly store you t-tops in the well. i cannot wait. i dont want the stealth boxes at all.
    If you are going to retain the ability to put your T-tops in the trunk, the largest subs you can get back there are 10's. If you keep the spare tire you can only put one, but if you get rid of it you can put two back there.

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Before: After: T-tops Stored Safe and Secure

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

www.subthump.com will answer all you size questions.

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

just to clear things up....you can fit 12's back there too.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

with a converible you have to be carefull to not go too deep with rear speaker magnets otherwise they will hit the top mechanism when the top is lowered. i have alpine s series 2 ways in the rear and they sound much better than the infinitys that are in the doors.

red
    1996 Z28 SS

update

Ok after two full days of doing research (I am a definite car stereo novice) I think I have found close to what I am looking for.

My car-1996 Camaro Z28 SS Convertible

What im looking for-Right now I just want a good set of 6.5 components up front with a good HU and amp to power the comps. I plan on replacing the stock Rear speakers as well as adding a Sub at a later time.

K this is what I have found so far.

Components-Focal 165V2 6.5s
    HU-Pioneer DEH-P780MP
    Amp-Phoenix Gold OCTANE-R 8.0:4 (75 W x 4)@4ohm

I am pretty sure the speakers and HU are good, but Im not sure about that amp. It seems really under priced for its power.

One other question I have is the Focal's. Does anyone know if I will have any problems mounting them in the door panel? Depth/Width problem?

Thank you all for any comments or sugestions.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by sidonsbones
    Hifonics Amps are pretty much the thing. Don't buy the RF's/Sony/JVC/Alpines from Circuit city...overpriced for the power you get. Hifonics makes the best amp's for the buck, and they look better than most installed.
    Only buy a Hifonics amp if you want a pile of crap sitting in your garage after months of dealing with return/RMA/extra shipping costs.

The OLD ONES are a notoriously good value/buy, but anything ending with 5 is pure junk. I had a 1605D and no matter what I did, it would pick up interference from my fuel pump. We're talking a STOCK fuel pump, nothing special. I have had about 6 other amps hooked up, and tested several different ones during the troubleshooting process... no other amp made the same interference sound.

basically shoddy/cheap components are what you get when you purchase a (new) Hifonics amplifier.

If you want the real deal, a solid performer, do like I did and get the nINE.1 from Elemental Designs... I've never had a single regret, and it easily puts out more power because of their very conservative ratings... they claim 1200WRMS at 12.5v, and you can expect more like 1400-1500 with the engine running.

same price too... you can get a nINE.1 for $250-315, depending on what deals are going on...

Thread Information