Radio not working..wiring?

This is a discussion on Radio not working..wiring? within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; So I bought my dual xdvd 8181 a few years ago. IT's relatively new, had it installed by a local ...

Black
    2001 WS6

Radio not working..wiring?

So I bought my dual xdvd 8181 a few years ago. IT's relatively new, had it installed by a local shop, audio express. It's worked perfectly its whole life. Just the other day when I was leavign work, the head unit didnt turn on. Ironically enough, my aftermarket gauge in my gauge pod stopped working as well. This is also while my wipers werent working. So yesterday I pulled all the fuses, made sure they were all good. My wiper fuse had blown the other day in colorado and i replaced it. I tore the dash apart, took out the head unit, made sure that fuse was good, checked the wiring, and it was good. I started poking around underneath the driver's side footwell with all the wires there, and magically enough, my wipers came back on. I took the car to where I had the stuff installed. They quick took it around, and one of the techs quick just took the head unit out without taking the dash apart. He said the deck was toast, and because i was getting 12v to both sides of the headunit. My amp isnt getting power either. It doesnt make sense. Could it be a short somewhere? could it be wiring? I dont want to go off what the shop said because they just assume say its dead and try to sell me on a new one. I heard alot of bad things about that shop after I had my radio installed there. Any thoughts?

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

If the headunit doesn't turn on your amp won't either. Who hooked up the gauge? I never heard of getting 12v to both sides of the headunit. Could be a loose ground wire somewhere.

Black
    2001 WS6

is there anyone that will repair head units?

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Yes there are places. Depending on how old the unit is or how much it is worth it might be better to get a new one.

Black
    2001 WS6

its only from 2007

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Try another shop. How do you know the headunit is dead? Could just be a wiring issue and whoever checked it at the shop just wasn't able to find the real problem.

Black
    2001 WS6

All they did was pull it out, check the power and the fuse. And since i wasnt paying, they didnt bother to check wiring. when i pulled the headunit out, meaning tearing the dash apart like they should have done, i found that one of the wires was unhooked, although, even when i hooked it up nothing happend, so i might try to find a way of seeing if im able to hook the radio up to something to see if it can get power. like test it on my own. any ideas how i would do that?

white
    1999 Camaro Z-28

What do they mean they're getting twelve volts out of both sides?

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    All they did was pull it out, check the power and the fuse. And since i wasnt paying, they didnt bother to check wiring. when i pulled the headunit out, meaning tearing the dash apart like they should have done, i found that one of the wires was unhooked, although, even when i hooked it up nothing happend, so i might try to find a way of seeing if im able to hook the radio up to something to see if it can get power. like test it on my own. any ideas how i would do that?
    Just hook up the power wires to the battery. There should be two a constant and switched. Touch them to positve on the battery. Then put the ground wire to metal. That should power it up.

Black
    2001 WS6

ok ill try that, i know one's power, one's ignition. I'll do that and let u guys know

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

yellow on your headunit is constant and the red is switched....just temporarily twist those together and touch them to your battery terminal while touching the black wire (ground) to a ground source....will tell you if the headunit is good or not...then if its good then u have a wiring issue in the harness they made for your aftermakret deck

Thread Information