Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

Radio doesnt work but CD player does....

I just bought an 03 Viper and the CD player works, but the radio does not. The old owner said that it worked before he took out the battery but when he put it in, it didnt work. I just got home with the car so tomorrow I am going to check the fuse. Has anyone had any problems with their car regarding this issue? I appreciate it.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

No offense but that's a chrysler for ya, I had a problem like that in a RAM and I just changed it out for an factory 6 disk found on ebay. Took the old one apart but never found anything wrong.
    I had nothing but problems on the electrical system on my 02 ram. in fact I had nothing but problems with every system on that truck except the motor it's self. Even the paint had problems lol.

White
    1995 Camaro Z28

Is your antenna connected?

Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by manarth5103 View Post
    Is your antenna connected?
    That is what I'm hearing the most, so I have to check where it plugs into the back of the head unit.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I would lean towards it being an antenna issue too.

Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

Im hoping thats what it is...I cant really tell right now because I painted the battery tray in the back of the car and have to wait till it cures. Fingers crossed tho.

Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

Well I am extremely confused. I pulled the radio today out of my car and looked under the passenger side glove box to see where the antenna runs up to the windshield. Theres a plastic plate covering the wire end so I can't see too much but i did notice something. The foot light didn't work. So then I went to the driver side and same thing. Light didn't work. The lights don't work and the radio tuner doesnt (cd does). I wonder if it could be fuse related. Just seems awful coincidental.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Hmmm...that is strange and does seem like too much to be a coincidence. It could be a fuse or wiring issue somewhere. Electrical problems can be a royal pain. I'd try swapping out the fuses first.

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    Well I am extremely confused. I pulled the radio today out of my car and looked under the passenger side glove box to see where the antenna runs up to the windshield. Theres a plastic plate covering the wire end so I can't see too much but i did notice something. The foot light didn't work. So then I went to the driver side and same thing. Light didn't work. The lights don't work and the radio tuner doesnt (cd does). I wonder if it could be fuse related. Just seems awful coincidental.

Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

Ya, the manual doesnt say anything about a radio fuse anywhere. Kinda turning into a pain in the ass.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

There's a radio fuse in my car. I had to pull it out not to long ago to set a new keyless remote to it.

Ya, the manual doesnt say anything about a radio fuse anywhere. Kinda turning into a pain in the ass.

Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    There's a radio fuse in my car. I had to pull it out not to long ago to set a new keyless remote to it.
    Interesting. Ive been searching and even tried finding out from the viper forums and still nothing. Is it under ur dash or the hood on your car?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Obviously it won't be in the same place on your Viper. But it's on the side of the console on the drivers side on my car. I just have to open the door up completely, pull off a velcroed lid and there's an array of fuses there. The relay box is under the hood.

Interesting. Ive been searching and even tried finding out from the viper forums and still nothing. Is it under ur dash or the hood on your car?

Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

Ya I'm aware of that, I have looked everywhere and they buried it somewhere. You would think the Owners manual would have something on it.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

There's really no section in your manual that tells you what each fuse is to and where it's located? Maybe on the Viper, the fuse for the radio is also for something else and they've got it named for that?

Ya I'm aware of that, I have looked everywhere and they buried it somewhere. You would think the Owners manual would have something on it.

Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

There's really no section in your manual that tells you what each fuse is to and where it's located? Maybe on the Viper, the fuse for the radio is also for something else and they've got it named for that?
    It does with the fuse box under the hood, and if thats the only fuse box, then like you said, it could be tied into something else, but there is no indication for the radio anywhere in the manual.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

At this point, all I can suggest is you contact a Dodge dealer and ask them. I know, that would be my last resort too.

It does with the fuse box under the hood, and if thats the only fuse box, then like you said, it could be tied into something else, but there is no indication for the radio anywhere in the manual.

Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

At this point, all I can suggest is you contact a Dodge dealer and ask them. I know, that would be my last resort too.
    LOL I hear ya. I wish it was just called a viper (not a dodge fan). But after testing the antenna and fuses, it's more than likely that the tuner in the head unit is bad. I thought it was just a Genaric dodge radio but I guess the viper radio is amplified to every speaker. The shitty stock radio runs 800 bucks. I guess I'll be listening to CDs and my ups sounding exhaust lol

Thread Information