2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Radar Hardwire Install

OK so I hate using the cigarette lighter to power my Radar, so I bought a hardwire kit.

I did this with my first camaro, 95 V6, and i got it installed, but i fried my radar, then totalled the car before buying another.

I started to do this one the same way, where the unit hangs just to the left of the rear view mirror. wire runs over to the pillow, and down to the dash. Previously i had it hardwired into an ignition wire. it was a pink one that was in a wire bundle that ran up underneath the steering column. Well I looked under there on my SS, and I dont see the pink wire, and the bundle is much more tucked away, plus there's the whole "do not tamper...Airbags may deploy" warning.

So whats another way I can do this?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Use a test light to find a fusable switched hot lead. When you find one put a volt meter on it to make sure you have 12v. Then make sure it does not run to any computer equipment. When all is well, do a proper splice with solder and shrink wrap. Good luck.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I was hoping for a little simpler answer, lol...I know in the Haynes manual it says there's a pink 12v ignition wire, but on my old car, there were 3 or 4 pink wires..on my SS they all looked grey, but like i said, they were tucked away much more.

could I wire it into my stereo somehow?

Theres the 12V constant, thats no good, but maybe the remote wire?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Not saying its the best or safest way but a friend who is an electrician wired his straight to the fuse box. That was prolly 11 years ago. No problems yet on the vehicle.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

thought about that, I just dont know which side is + and -, id hate to run it backwards and fry my radar

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I currently use the fuse panel.

1. Find a ground. 99% of the time, any screw or bolt going into the body is a good spot. Try to use something that isn't a huge bolt and isn't already providing a ground to other devices. This should be the black wire from your device, if you have the same color, we'll need to figure out which ones the + and -.

2. Take the cover off the fuse panel and use the windshield wipers fuse spot, because who really uses the wipers anyways, lol. It's a switched power source, so when you car is off, so is your radar.

Two ways to go from here, the first (step 3) is easy/cheap/jerry rigging way of doing it. If you want a better way, go to step 6.

3. Using a test light, pull the fuse and test each side of blade female blade inserts with the ignition ON. one side will show power and the other side will not, use the side that doesn't. This makes sure your using a fused power source for your radar.

4. Wrap the positive wire from your radar (usually red) around 1 post of the fuse and insert this wrapped side into the wiper slot that doesn't have power with the ignition on.

5. Give it a slight tug to make sure you did a good job. Double check you don't have any fraying wires all over. Your all done from here here unless you want to take a more recommended route.

6. This is what I use, fuse tap found at any autoparts store. Buy Bussmann ATM Fuse Tap BP/HHH at Advance Auto Parts

7. Strip the wire from your device, insert into the red wire off of the fuse tap, crimp, then give it a slight tug to make sure you crimped it good. You can heat the plastic up to make a tighter look or wrap it was electrical tape if your crimped it too hard and exposed the metal.

8. Plug and play and your on your way!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Or you can use the cigarette lighter wire.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

thought about that, but dont the cigarette lighters always have power?

and Kevin, thanks for linking to that fuse tap, ill probaby use that

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    thought about that, but dont the cigarette lighters always have power?
    I think it does.

I'm not positive, I never use it.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I never use it either. Push it in when the key is off or plug something in and see if it works. I know it is fused, so if it is switched you got your link. Good luck.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

true, if i use my hardwire for my radar, i wont need the cig lighter anymore...sweet

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I wire my radars up into the headliner and over to the A pillar. I then run them down the A pillar to the fuse box. I have done this with all my cars. My Z has had a Uniden 9000 in it for 9 years no issues. My 05 Lincoln LS has had a valentine one for 5 years now and no issues. Both are run down the A pillar into the fuse box.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

thats what i plan to do...did you actually remove the pillow to do this? mines a hard top, i dont know if that makes a difference on A pillar removal

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    thats what i plan to do...did you actually remove the pillow to do this? mines a hard top, i dont know if that makes a difference on A pillar removal
    Depends how you want to do it. I used a x-acto knife to put a notch in my headliner on my Z . The notch is up under the roof not below the glass. I would not think you will have to remove the pillow. If you meant A-pillar yes you would have to remove it. Which is much easier in a T-Top car. All you're doing is running the wire up. With the A-pillar removed it will help running it up and over. I did not do notch the Lincoln I just put it up in the headliner. Pulling the A-pillar on the Lincoln was not hard FYI. Just pull the A pillar on the drivers side and see what it will take.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 12-05-2011 at 09:00 PM.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

All 3 of my f-bodies have been hardtops, I did it like that on my 95, but I never could get the pillar off on in, so i just using something flat and tried to shove it under the edge, but it didn't work so well. It stayed in place, but you could see it

Thread Information