Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Radar Detectors

This is a discussion on Radar Detectors within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; So basically if I want every detection to be 100% right... the V1 is the best....

  1. #21
    Mosler MT900 S Secret Formula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,426

    Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

    So basically if I want every detection to be 100% right... the V1 is the best.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland/Champaign
    Posts
    389

    Red
    '97 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Formula View Post
    So basically if I want every detection to be 100% right... the V1 is the best.
    No.....V1 falses too -- every radar falses. 9500i is the only detector that has the potential to false the least...however in order to eliminate falses then, it still must false first...

    V1 is actually worse with falses than the X50, but still (arguably) the better detector.

  3. #23
    Mosler MT900 S Secret Formula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,426

    Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post

    V1 is actually worse with falses than the X50.
    But are the "arrows" waaaaay better than any other detecter, even if it has a lot of falses?

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland/Champaign
    Posts
    389

    Red
    '97 Z28 M6

    IDK if I'd say it has A LOT - but it does have more, based on everything I have seen/heard/etc.

    Arrows would help since most would ignore the rear arrow with maybe just a quick glance or so in the mirror. I don't need arrows though -- I'm overly-cautious and am going to slow down regardless of where the signal is coming from.

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7

    Sports Gold Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

    I owned an Escort 9500i for less than a month. In comparison to a 5 year old Whisper $100 special from Wal-Mart I'd say it's about even performance wise. It seems to me that Escort hurried this product out there, not improving on the performance of the previous model, but offering a few more bells and whistles. If you care about not getting a ticket-which is why I buy a radar detector, buy a V1 you won't regret it.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland/Champaign
    Posts
    389

    Red
    '97 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by metalgoldta View Post
    I owned an Escort 9500i for less than a month. In comparison to a 5 year old Whisper $100 special from Wal-Mart I'd say it's about even performance wise. It seems to me that Escort hurried this product out there, not improving on the performance of the previous model, but offering a few more bells and whistles. If you care about not getting a ticket-which is why I buy a radar detector, buy a V1 you won't regret it.
    I assure you they are not even performance wise. For most driving environments and for most people -- it will be tough to notice a difference. But look at the technology and test results, etc. and it's clear there is a difference.

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7

    Sports Gold Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

    True enough. But as far as performance-I have used both a V1 and the 9500i, there's no comparison. The V1 will give you much more detection range, although the tradeoff is it will false slightly more. This has been proven in tests. On top of all this, the V1 is cheaper.

  8. #28
    Rollo Tomassee AKIRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,887
    I have had an array of detectors before and I finally said fuck it and bought a V1. I didnt want to buy an escort and wonder if I wouldve been better off with a valentine.

    This fucker is my baby. If I have to go somewhere and I leave the windows or t-tops down, I take the valentine with me.

    The arrows are such a nice feature and they work. Once you see it, you know you paid an acceptable price for this lil gadget.

    By the way, the test sites listed, one is sponsored by Bel, the other one is sponsored by Passport.

  9. #29
    Member Jetblak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Willoughby,Ohio
    Age
    35
    Posts
    117

    Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

    ive had the beltronics v995cs for over a year now and no tickets(knock on wood). It has gave some false alarms but for the most part its a great system.
    If you want a really nice one that is just amazing then Escort just came out with one which uses gps to mark any area that you say is a false alarm and it wont go off ever again. If you drive through that area and it goes off its not the false alarm its an actual cop. You can get it off the internet for around $500.00. Im getting one in the next week. Ive used a friends for a week while he was out of town and its simple great and truely works amazing

  10. #30
    Member Jetblak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Willoughby,Ohio
    Age
    35
    Posts
    117

    Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    I have had an array of detectors before and I finally said fuck it and bought a V1. I didnt want to buy an escort and wonder if I wouldve been better off with a valentine.

    This fucker is my baby. If I have to go somewhere and I leave the windows or t-tops down, I take the valentine with me.

    The arrows are such a nice feature and they work. Once you see it, you know you paid an acceptable price for this lil gadget.

    By the way, the test sites listed, one is sponsored by Bel, the other one is sponsored by Passport.
    If i remember right about a 1 1/2 years ago beltronics actually bought escort.

  11. #31
    Rollo Tomassee AKIRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,887
    Yeah. When I wrote my responce, I wanted to just write "Bel" then I had a brain fart...

    Bels are notorious for having the most false signals, so it doesnt surprise me theyd make one that specializes in removing false signals.

    Ive owned 2. One of them I threw out my window.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland/Champaign
    Posts
    389

    Red
    '97 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Yeah. When I wrote my responce, I wanted to just write "Bel" then I had a brain fart...

    Bels are notorious for having the most false signals, so it doesnt surprise me theyd make one that specializes in removing false signals.

    Ive owned 2. One of them I threw out my window.
    The newer Escorts are nothing like the older Bels -- that is one of the primary differences between low end and high end radars. Almost all are decent enough to detect Ka band enough to save you -- but lower end detectors false a LOT more. If you owned a X50, etc. you would realize there is a BIG difference. The X50 is currently the best at avoiding falses with the exception of the 9500i obviously from everything I've read, seen results of, or experienced personally.

    IMO, if you are looking at the top detectors -- falses should not be a major concern. Depending on your driving environment, look for those that excel in laser, instant on, etc. before you worry which one falses less.

  13. #33
    Member Fastcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jersey Boy
    Posts
    316

    Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

    Everybody's going to have a different opinion on this topic, but I have a V1 with the remote module. Any place it falses other detectors that I've owned would false too, so there must be some micrwave source near by. The V1 has saved my ass many times, especially 'cuz I cruise down the NJ Turnpike & GS Parkway at 80+ all the time. If you're worried about the cost, how much more would the tickets & insurance surcharges cost you? Just something to consider... I've never run across a V1 owner who wanted to get rid of the V1 for something else. You have to live with it to appreciate how much better it is.

  14. #34
    Member craig02ta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    35
    Posts
    385

    Blue
    04 Silverado

    i have had the V1 for 3yrs,400$ is a hell of alot of money for it but it is a awsome investment really worth it.it has saved my butt a 100 times,and on the highway it is perfect.great investment

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland/Champaign
    Posts
    389

    Red
    '97 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    I've never run across a V1 owner who wanted to get rid of the V1 for something else. You have to live with it to appreciate how much better it is.
    Like you said -- everyone will have different opinions -- and there have been some users and people who test them that have been driven crazy by V1 falses -- however even with that said, if I could do it over again I would have a V1 and not my X50.

  16. #36
    I Love High-Explosives! TheChad1371's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Slatington, PA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    495

    Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    any radar, is better than none at all....its like goin to a strip joint with no singles...

  17. #37
    Rollo Tomassee AKIRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,887
    Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    Like you said -- everyone will have different opinions -- and there have been some users and people who test them that have been driven crazy by V1 falses -- however even with that said, if I could do it over again I would have a V1 and not my X50.
    Oooh. Wow. Congrats on that statement!

    Other than myself, i hardly see anyone on here that would wish they bought something else.

    Not saying its useless or junk, but to say if the choice were to be made again, thats a rarity around these parts!

  18. #38
    Member Fastcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jersey Boy
    Posts
    316

    Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

    Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Oooh. Wow. Congrats on that statement!

    Other than myself, i hardly see anyone on here that would wish they bought something else.

    Not saying its useless or junk, but to say if the choice were to be made again, thats a rarity around these parts!
    I had no choice... Just to give you an idea of how old and creaky I am, I had one of the original Fuzzbusters when they came out! Worked fine in it's day, but something inside of it went bad with the heat if you left it on the dash. It eventually stopped working so in the trash heap it went! By that time, newer technology was available so I got an original Escort. To me, BMW stands for Break My Window: Escort got stolen, and I live in an good part of Joisey! So, since the Escort worked well I progressed to a Passport. Guess what: different car, different window! Amazing how easy it is to find a nearby rock... Well, on to my first V1. Worked fine, but this time the loss was my own fault: I was cleaning the car & I was going to drive a different car the next day so I took the V1 out and left it on top of the garbage can in the driveway. It was late, so I forgot to put the V1 in the other car. DOH! Garbagemen came the next morning @ 6:30 AM.... I'm not even awake at that time in the morning, let alone having any higher brain functions! By the time I remembered what happened, it was too late. I called the supervisor of the Dept. of Public Works & even offered a $100 finder's fee but Surprise, Surprise! The garbageman on my route said that he never saw it (lying bastard).... So, on to my next and last V1 hopefully, which has been updated once. This V1 never leaves my hands once I'm outside of the car and doesn't stay on the dash so if no one knows I have it, I should be O.K. I now try not to park near any loose rocks. Wouldn't trade it for ANY other detector! Just a bit of trivia: Mike Valentine of Valentine 1 fame used to work for Escort/Passport (Cincinnati Microwave). He then left to start his own company. Guess he had a better idea & took it with him.
    Last edited by Fastcar; 05-07-2007 at 12:15 AM. Reason: added stuff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Radar Detectors
    By ldurham in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 03:43 PM
  2. Radar detectors
    By knightryda01 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-28-2008, 01:10 PM
  3. Radar Detectors
    By Sarge in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-13-2008, 08:35 AM
  4. radar detectors
    By ldanny in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-20-2007, 02:57 PM
  5. Radar Detectors
    By rajiv1998 in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 07:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •