Question on Line Output Converters (loc)????

This is a discussion on Question on Line Output Converters (loc)???? within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; Just finished wiring up my amp and sub. My question is I spliced into the mid woofer for a signal. ...

SOM
    2002 SS

Question on Line Output Converters (loc)????

Just finished wiring up my amp and sub. My question is I spliced into the mid woofer for a signal. Is this a bad thing ? Does the monsoon already have a x-over set ? I didn't want to use wires from the deck only because I was lazy . I read somewhere to use the amp'd signal if there was one on the factory deck. Also how high should I set the converter? It has an adjustment screw I have it on max atm.

Also if anyone knows the mid woofer had a green wire and a green/black stripe. I'm assuming the striped is negative ??

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

i believe the mid bass are x-over-ed. why not just grab the signal right in the hatch at the full range back there?? best bet--i found HU replacement was only problem free way to get great sound--if you're still using part of the monsoon system you can get a harness that incorporates it. then you'd have pre-outs to run to amp(s).

SOM
    2002 SS

TO be honest for me the factory monsoon is WAY better than I had hoped for a daily driver. the system just kicks ass. I figured if I added a 10 in the rear I can really get the lows I want and make it even better.

I didnt realize the rears were full range. they looked tiny so I was thinking they were just highs. They are both amp'd though by the factory monsoon so I'm wondering if I should splice the line converter into the line 'before' the monsoon amp ?

System sounds like shit. Both were used and barely work so I dont know if my amp is bad or wiring is bad or sub is blown. Sub barely vibrates and amp clips off if the gain is increased just 10% from off. It shuts on and off at the slightest bass.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

first prob is havin the loc gain set to max if you're runnin it post-amp. it should be much lower--you're sendin the sub amp a clipped signal to begin with. I would suggest doin what you mentioned--splice in before monsoon. that way when you crank it up, you're not sendin your sub amp a clipped signal. adjust gains reasonably on both sub amp AND loc. if you grab the signal before monsoon, it will be weaker and you will need to set to loc gain relatively high; prolly like 85-90% full. sub gain will depend on how much bass boost you dial in.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

i did this exact same setup with my aftermarket subs, front mid/highs amps with stock cd player when i bought the mustang. I got it to sound ok; but doesn't compare to sendin a pre-out signal from an aftermarket HU. I spent $300 on crutchfield and got pioneer HU with bluetooth, aux in, USB and wire harness that incorporated factory amps (though i have since disabled them..) and factory aux in from center console. installed myself--was worth it merely for the bluetooth--phone calls now come through radio.
    Last edited by 02WS6dream; 05-23-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Thread Information