Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro Vert Z28

question about verts

What can you actually do with verts stereo wise I do like the stock stereo it just doesn't have that great of bass and its really easy to blow any help is much appreciated.

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

How good do you want it to sound?

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro Vert Z28

I want it a lot better but I dont want it to cost a fortune

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

A start will be changing the speakers. If you change the head unit and not the stock speakers, the stockers won't work with your aftermaket head unit. The speakers are crap since they are made out of straight paper. They are not even treated. If you want a better system, you can go with an aftermarket amp for your speakers, as well as a component sub and amp with a sub box (since you have a convertible, it will be wise for you to get a stealth box with the sub, it will fit a 10"). You can actually start building your system and pay less than a grand for a good system (ebay is your friend).

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro Vert Z28

Ive looked at the stealth boxes and the only way I've seen some people make them fit is by taking out the spare tire and I really don't want to do that is there any way I could do this?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

There is a guy here who makes an enclosure that fits a pair of 8's. It mounts in the space between where the top goes and the trunk. Nice solution. I made a box that goes on the left side that takes up a little of the trunk space. I am sure I could build it nicer but it works. With the top down you will lose a lot of the bass though.

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro Vert Z28

Ya I was just looking at that guys enclosure its pretty nice I guess there really is no way to keep it from losing bass with the top down

Silver
    2004 Pontiac GTO/Monaro

Always wondered if there was a way to rig an "under-seat" sub. Probably not enough room there to do it justice, but who knows.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by traumadog View Post
    Always wondered if there was a way to rig an "under-seat" sub. Probably not enough room there to do it justice, but who knows.
    It is really tight under there. I guess if you were short you could space up the seat and make something work.

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th02Z28 View Post
    Ive looked at the stealth boxes and the only way I've seen some people make them fit is by taking out the spare tire and I really don't want to do that is there any way I could do this?
    The stealth box actually fits on the driver side in the cargo area.

Onyx Black, M6
    2001 SS Convertible #4498

Is there an option for the stock speakers (I think the vert only has 4 identical ones) replacement?

This stock system is awful. Will the stock head unit support any good aftermarket speakers?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Turrry View Post
    Is there an option for the stock speakers (I think the vert only has 4 identical ones) replacement?

This stock system is awful. Will the stock head unit support any good aftermarket speakers?
    You can just throw in 4 6.5"/6.75" speakers and be done. Just be carefull of the mounting depth of the rears. If they are too deep you will hit them when the top goes down.

Onyx Black, M6
    2001 SS Convertible #4498

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    You can just throw in 4 6.5"/6.75" speakers and be done. Just be carefull of the mounting depth of the rears. If they are too deep you will hit them when the top goes down.
    thanks for the advice!

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro Vert Z28

so how did we go from subs to speakers? lol

SIlver
    2000 Z28 Camaro convertib

I don't post much here but, this is my current plan. I have a 2000 Z vert. My solution is fairly simple. I put a Alpine X100 Ipod deck in, Humount plate, Infinity 6.5 in the door. A Polk 4 channel 200 watt and a mono Polk 400 in the trunk.

The back speaker solution for a vert is always the rub. So I found me a set of rear seat latches. I'm building a (aprox) 40"W 20"H 5"D cabinet. In the cab goes a pair Infinity 6.5's and a 8" sub. This means the interior stays stock. I used as much of the factory Harness as possible and left the Monsoon amp installed(just pulled the connector and tapped into the speaker wires). So if anyone thinks they can ride back there. The cabinet unlatches the back seat flips up. I'm a Geezer so I'm not concerned about thump, Its more about HiFi for me

The cabinet is almost finished. I haven't decided yet to cover it with black carpet or Tolex. I found Some black Snake skin Tolex for $17.00 a yard. About 2 yards should do it. I found the black carpet for $11.00 a yard. So with good materials the whole cabinet loaded will cost me less than 3bills.

Black
    02 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
    A start will be changing the speakers.
    Mmm.... Actually I think the stock speakers are fine. If you upgrade the head unit, and cross over the stock speakers to 100Hz and above, they should sound just fine. I'm running the stock door speakers in my GMC with my Pioneer head unit, and it sounds top notch.
    I would try popping in a new head unit first, with Front Image Enhancement, or crossover features from front to rear.
    Honestly I think that's the best route from my experiences.

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytransam View Post
    Mmm.... Actually I think the stock speakers are fine. If you upgrade the head unit, and cross over the stock speakers to 100Hz and above, they should sound just fine. I'm running the stock door speakers in my GMC with my Pioneer head unit, and it sounds top notch.
    I would try popping in a new head unit first, with Front Image Enhancement, or crossover features from front to rear.
    Honestly I think that's the best route from my experiences.
    Not really. Those speakers for the most part are straight paper, and won't handle the power the amp puts out.

Black
    02 Trans Am WS6

It's not the power that's the problem, it's the low frequencies and distortion.
    You can actually overdrive a speaker a bit, as long as you have it crossed over. Not nuts overpower, but slightly. Obviously you'll toast the coils if you put too much power in. The lack of control of the cones creates big heat, and then the coils toast. If you have a clean amp or clean source, you can run more power safely since the amp can control the speaker cones more efficiently. More control, less heat, less distortion, better SQ, better efficiency.
    They probably are crappy, since this isn't a new problem. My 96 had blown it's speakers with the stock stereo. Mainly due to the distortion. At the time I had the dealer replace them, which they said there were older revisions and needed to be replaced with the new revision. That was around 1999-2000.

If I remember correctly... the Monsoon was supposedly a 600W system.
    600W / 8 speakers. That's musical peak power. SO only about 75W peak to each speaker. RMS is usually about half or a little less...so Lets say 40W to each speaker.

And BTW...theres only about a 18 guage power wire going to the amp, so there's not much potential for big power. 15A X 14V= ~210 Watts peak X 10% overcurrent for the fuse = 231 watts. It's a Class AB amp, not digital.

Like many amps on the market...somehow somewhere they got 600W musical peak out of the amp, probably at a very high frequency, or very shobby rating system.

Just my .02...right wrong or indifferent.
    Last edited by Trickytransam; 05-22-2009 at 03:30 AM.

SIlver
    2000 Z28 Camaro convertib

Verts

"And BTW...theres only about a 18 guage power wire going to the amp"

There are two 18GA power wires and two 18GA grounds that are used on the monsoon. They run back to a 20amp fuse I believe? I've been using those to power my Blaupunkt 250 watt 8" sub that currently sits on floor behind the passengers seat. Work fines.

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro Vert Z28

hhmm ok nice info im getting I might still replace the stock speakers though still not sure but for now their good.

Thread Information