Black
    1996 Camaro

Problem with keyless entry..

Alright I bought my car without a remote for keyless entry. I posted up and found out i had it, but just didn't have the remote. Posted my vin, and bought this remote on ebay:

GM 16245100-29
    CANADA:218101368
    MODEL/FCCID:A801502T

It worked great for a while after programming it, BUT after a few weeks of programming it, I will walk up to the car, hit unlock, and the drivers door will unlock(twice quickly), but the parking lights will not flash like every other time i unlock it. After this happens, the remote no longer works, not for locking, not for unlocking, not for anything. I have to reprogram it at this point and it lasts however long until it happens again.

Sometimes i will unlock it and it will unlock, but the parking lights won't flash. But it only unlocks once, and it doesn't loose the code, and if i hit unlock again, it will flash the lights and everything works fine.

It always flashes the lights and honks twice when i lock it.

I thought it would be an easy fix, so i replaced the battery, but that didn't do anything.

What the heck is going on?

Black
    1996 Camaro

SPARKNOTES:

Sometimes randomly i will hit unlock on my remote; the car's parking lights don't flash, but the car unlocks twice quickly. After this, the remote doesn't work until i reprogram it.

-not the battery

Don't have a clue - is it a brand new remote? Next time it acts up try "resynchronizing" - press and hold the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 7 seconds, the door locks should cycle and the parking lights should flash. According to my Helms this is sometimes necessary when the battery in the remote is very weak, battery in remote is replaced, or battery in vehicle has been in a low or no charge condition for a period of time. Hope this helps...

Black
    1996 Camaro

i bought the remote used so i guess it could be the remote, but i don't want to spend the money on a brand new one just to find out it wasn't the remote. I will try 'resynchronizing' it, we'll see how that works, Thanks

-troy

Maybe someone will let you borrow one? You can plug the FCCID into this site and it lists compatable remotes: http://autotechs.com/fcc/fccidsearch.htm

Black
    1996 Camaro

Well, I was in my house today, and i pushed the lock button to make sure it was locked, and it didn't work, so i held the buttons like you said, and i saw the lights flash, so we'll see if it keeps the code now, Thanks for the suggestions, and if it acts up i'll try someone else's. Thanks again,

-Troy

chameleon
    98 T/A

i would try the dealership and find out if the remote transmitter code is correct they have several hundred of those codes and every year they are different. if you have a 96 camaro and the remote is for a 2003 camaro it will cancel itself out. after programming

Black
    1996 Camaro

I got someone from another forum to tell me the code for the remote i should get, he works at a dealership and looked it up, so it should be right. I also looked up the FCCID and my year of camaro is listed under compatible vehicles so i think i have the right one.

Black
    1996 Camaro

I'd like to point out that the "resynchronizing" worked...sort of. My remote still forgets the code just as often, it's just a whole lot easier now to reprogram it. Instead of taking out the fuse after getting in with the key, and turning the ignition three times holding down buttons etc.. i just hold down the two for 7 seconds outside of the car and it works again

The problem is still there however, but i thought maybe this information might help you guys out a little bit on diagnosing the problem..i dont' have the money to buy a remote and find out it doesn't work..

Thanks guys for all the help!

-Troy

black
    2002 WS6

almost sounds like the pcm or security system is losing power periodicly. Any other strange problems? flickering lights, hard starts, large stereo?

I have a CB radio in my truck that is on a constant 12 source but will loose the channel settings now and then if it sits unused for a while. Mind you I also have seriuos voltage issues in that truck to. But I would strat with looking at you connection to the realated systems. Any one know where the reciever is for the remotes?

Black
    1996 Camaro

There aren't any other problems that i'm noticing. The car always turns over and starts up, faster than any other car we have. It has the stock Bose stereo in there with an aftermarket HU..not high wattage though

What i don't understand is why most of the time, it will unlock just fine, but the parking lights don't flash like they are supposed to. It absolutely always honks and flashes the light when i hit lock, except when it's already locked, then it just flashes teh lights. But it rarely flashes the lights when i hit unlock..

White and black
    2001 SS Artic white

how did you find out that your car had the remote entry?

Black
    1996 Camaro

A guy that worked for GM looked it up for me on another forum.

White and black
    2001 SS Artic white

do you just need the vin number?

Black
    1996 Camaro

Yeah, just the last 8 digits I think it was.

Guess I'll use this as a bump as well. The problem entirely disappeared through summer, but once it got cold again, it came back. My chassis ground was a bit corroded and rusted, but i cleaned that up really good and the problem isn't any better.

White and black
    2001 SS Artic white

thanks, yeah i have a 99 with a full electronics package that was totaled by a druged up lady running a red light.

but luck shined apon me and now i have a 98 that has nothing so i am hoping that i can get the fob to work on the 98.

did you have all the switches on the door?? the doors on the 98 have no switches just handles to roll the windows up or down

Black
    1996 Camaro

Yeah, I'm full power, seats aside.

Thread Information