Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Powered Subwoofer Tubes... Anybody?

I had one in my last pickup truck. I'm thinking it might be just what I need to complement the stock Monsoon. I know it would be better to rip it all out and replace it all... but that's expensive. The Monsoon sounds good enough unless I've got the tops off and/or the windows down then there's just not enough bass when you turn it up - no thump, no rumble - just highs.

The Audiobahn tubes can use line level inputs drawn from existing speakers. I'd replace the chintzy 4" speakers in the rear with better 4" speakers and just tap that line to input the sub tube. I'd mount the tube on the rear shelf onto a piece of wood which I would slip underneath the carpet then trace the power cable up under the carpet to the battery. I'd get to keep all the space in the very back to hold my tops. My rear glass is tinted, not limo black, but good enough that you'd have to be looking to see the sub.

What do y'all think?

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Pardon my faux-pas. I meant to say speaker-level inputs. Not line-level.

Black
    99 Z28

I'd have to pass. I'm not a fan of them. You'd be better off with a real amp and a real sub in a real customized box, like one that fits in the CD changer area.

That's just MHO, but you asked for it.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Yeah, a thunderform or equivalent in the cd changer hole won't cost you any space and you will be amazed how much thump you can get out of it

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I guess I can answer your question rather than making my own suggestions I guess. . .lol. The rear deck is horrible for subs, don't know why but many people try it and it just doesn't sound good. I had two 12s up there and couldn't get anything decent out of them. They would rattle the hell out of everything, but still had no thump, it's wierd.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

That's much more expensive though. And I have a CD changer in my CD changer spot. I'd be stuck with just the radio if I put a sub there.

Opinions is what I wanted.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

As far as tubes go, I've been impressed with most tubes I've heard. I understand the $$$ factor too. Audiobahn is quality stuff, and if anything is going to sound good on the rear deck audiobahn tubes are your best bet. Just be warned though that most things don't sound very good there. Your best chance will be to make sure that the tube is firing rearward to utilize the hatch space for acoustics rather than side to side. I'd be willing to bet if you face it rearward and it's a good quality tube you might be able to supplement the factory system fairly well.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Yeah, they're too long to point fully rearward. I could position it at a rear-facing angle but not straight back. I'll probably do it after I get a better picture of my cash situation following the holidays. When I do, I'll position it different ways before I screw it in to see if one way hits better than another.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Well that's the beauty of tubes, they are almost entirely self-reliant. That's why i say if anything will sound good up there it will be a tube, they don't rely on the space around them as much as typical sub enclosures, so side to side may be pretty good. Whatever you do, leave an update so we know how it turned out

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Will do but it may be awhile. I'm saving for a house and the sub is lower on the list behind SFCs and a PHR.

Life's short, drive FAST 2kbluws6's Avatar

Blue
    2000 Pontiac WS6

Well when i bought my car it already had a 12" tube in it. i would have to say that it isnt horrible sounding. there is some distorted bass notes but it all depends on what you are listening to. i listen to everything from country to rock to that top 40 stuff. the notes are clear when they hit, but if you get into a heavy bass not commonly found in rap and hip hop it doenst stay clear. But the one 12" tube does sound as loud as 2 kicker comp 10's with 100 watts a piece, but the clarity isnt the same

Red
    1998 Trans Am

u'd mite as well buy a pringles can and stick that in there. never been a big fan of bass tubes

Thread Information