Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

power antenna swap

I want to change the power antenna on my 2000 Trans Am my power antenna still works very well but I think the stock antennas look out dated so how do I change out my stock power antenna without messing anything up?

1998 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by fbodyNATION View Post
    I want to change the power antenna on my 2000 Trans Am my power antenna still works very well but I think the stock antennas look out dated so how do I change out my stock power antenna without messing anything up?
    I tryed to do that once with an attena i got real cheap form some unkown brand, and it would work at least i couldnt get it to. But to take the antenna off there will be a braket and it is easier if you just take the braket and attenna off at the same time, also a plug attatches to the attena as well and a hose to the very bottome that you have to pull out. if i were you i would just use the one you have got till it brakes like the mine did, cause the other ones i looked out were in the hundrads of dollars for the same kind as stock.
    If none of that made any sense to you cause im a crapy writer then i can post a pic up with the parts i was talking about.
    Hope this helped.

99' 30th Ann TA

are you wanting to put in another power antenna or just a standard one?

Pewter Metallic

[QUOTE=ebdboudreaux;2535584]are you wanting to put in another power antenna or just a standard one?[/QUOTE i wanted it to be a little shorter,I heard someone say on LS1tech say that they put a shorty antenna on their T/A

Pewter Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 10erg01 View Post
    I tryed to do that once with an attena i got real cheap form some unkown brand, and it would work at least i couldnt get it to. But to take the antenna off there will be a braket and it is easier if you just take the braket and attenna off at the same time, also a plug attatches to the attena as well and a hose to the very bottome that you have to pull out. if i were you i would just use the one you have got till it brakes like the mine did, cause the other ones i looked out were in the hundrads of dollars for the same kind as stock.
    If none of that made any sense to you cause im a crapy writer then i can post a pic up with the parts i was talking about.
    Hope this helped.
    I understand what you mean if its working don't fool with it LoL!

SamD_Ind

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Why not install an interior amphlied hidden antenna? I have one in my 2000 TA. Mounted it behind the interior light by the hatch. It's hidden, works well, Plus you don't have an ugly antenna on the outside any more.

1998 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by SamD_Ind View Post
    Why not install an interior amphlied hidden antenna? I have one in my 2000 TA. Mounted it behind the interior light by the hatch. It's hidden, works well, Plus you don't have an ugly antenna on the outside any more.
    You should post some pics of that.

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Do you have any pics of that? I'd love to see what it looks like.

Artic White
    2001 Z-28

search bit viper antenna on tech or here. All you need is a Camaro antenna mast. I have had one laying around my garage for years. I installed a T/A power antenna. HAHAHA!

bright red
    1999 trans am

x2 on the hidden antenna

Red
    98 Trans Am

doing the hidden antenna too.

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

If you hide the antenna, is it in the spare tire well. What do you do with the hole in the fender?

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

the power ant. should bolt right up, wiring should already be there, plus you can also put an interupter switch on the remote line and it will only go up or down when you want it to

blue
    1999 TransAm

well, my power antenna is having issues... doesn't go all the way up when stereo on, ..now it doesn't go all the way down when off... hmm... i tried spraying some PB blaster on it, but doesn't seem to have worked yet... i guess the motor driving it is bad?

what should i do?

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by parnelligq View Post
    If you hide the antenna, What do you do with the hole in the fender?
    My thoughts exactly,how did you fill the hole?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    well, my power antenna is having issues... doesn't go all the way up when stereo on, ..now it doesn't go all the way down when off... hmm... i tried spraying some PB blaster on it, but doesn't seem to have worked yet... i guess the motor driving it is bad?

what should i do?
    Wiley it could be the mast teeth going that are broke. If you hear the motor working fine I will look into replacing the antenna mast only. I think I paid like $25 for the mast and it wasnt hard to replace.

i will like to get rid of the OEM antenna and get a short or hidden one.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    My thoughts exactly,how did you fill the hole?
    I will think you will get a rubber plug and put some silicone around it... im sure there has to be a plug that fills that hole.

blue
    1999 TransAm

well i took it out and apart today, ... about 3 sections in the mast were seized up.. i cleaned it up pretty good, took way longer than i would have liked! i was able to free up 2 of the 3 sections, unfortunately there's one section that i couldn't get to slide apart, even w/ all my might! oh well, it will extend farther than before..

anyway, back together and installed, lubed it up real good w/ PB garage door lube. seems to work ok, but don't have much faith it will last long before getting gummed up again..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    well i took it out and apart today, ... about 3 sections in the mast were seized up.. i cleaned it up pretty good, took way longer than i would have liked! i was able to free up 2 of the 3 sections, unfortunately there's one section that i couldn't get to slide apart, even w/ all my might! oh well, it will extend farther than before..

anyway, back together and installed, lubed it up real good w/ PB garage door lube. seems to work ok, but don't have much faith it will last long before getting gummed up again..
    Wiley just buy a new mast. I think i bought mine for like $30. Sounds like your mast is seized up. As long as the motor part work the new mast will fix it.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Wiley just buy a new mast. I think i bought mine for like $30. Sounds like your mast is seized up. As long as the motor part work the new mast will fix it.
    haha, yeah that would've been easier... oh well, ...i guess i'll see how long this lasts. the idea for the hidden antenna is kinda grabbing my interest... well, ..i think i'll try to replace speakers and head unit next - speakers are just about toast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information