JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Is it possible to put6x9's inthe rear stockspeakers?

is it possible to put 6x9's in the rear speaker stock possitions?
    Anyone know if anyone makes a kit for it? i got two rockford fosgate 6x9's and was trying to figure out a way to put it in here without maki9ng a seperate box for it

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Placing a speaker that big in the flimsy plastic panel in back is a bad idea IMO. The panel just doesn't have enough mass to handle all of the vibrations that will be caused by the bass reproduced by the speaker. When's the last time you saw a home stereo speaker cabinet that used an 1/8" thick piece of plastic as it's baffle? A better solution would be to use higher quality 6.5" mid-woofers in the B-pillars or enlarging the hole there for an 8" woofer.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

i think most people use 5x7 speakers instead of the 6x9's. they say they work fine.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by Kages99 View Post
    Have you heard of bass blockers.
    And what would be the pont in that? You use bigger speakers to get lower lows. If you're just going to highpass the speakers what's the point in using larger speakers? I can see going up to a higher quality 4" speaker maybe but definitely not 6x9's

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Well i have 2 8 inch speakers but didnt think it was possible to put em in center possitions

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

For proper imaging in a car audio setup, you want the front speakers to be the main speakers you hear. The rest is just filler for that all around effect. You could easily get them back there, but will it sound good...? You could buy some of those covers that are for 6x9's to direct the sound out and cover the backside of your hatch panel with sound deadening. I don't have any speakers in the hatch now since I went with Infiniy 62.7is in the doors and sail, and very happy with the sound. Your not going to get alot of power to the far rear speakers anyway. I wouldn't cut up the rear hatch panels to make the 6x9's fit, isn't worth it for that spot. if you do decide to do it, make a plate out of wood to mount the 6x9's to from below, that way you can keep it stock looking if you don't like it.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

I didn't say 6x9's, i said 6x8's... I don't know what he's going to use them for, hi's or low's or mid's and i don't really care. You're not going to get the same sound Q out of 4'' as you would out of 6x8' or larger speaker that's a fact jack. Guy want's to put 6x9's in, if he can make it work why not. Good 4 him.... Peace
    Comparing a 6x9 (or 8 for that matter) to a 4" mid is like comparing apples to oranges. Now if you crossover that 6x9 or 8 (as if it even mattered ) to reproduce the same frequencies as the 4" you won't hear much difference IF any. I still stand by what I said. Speakers that large in the hatch are a waste of time and money. Unless of course you're into shitty sound reproduction from having speakers mounted to flimsy plastic panels. Other than my subs I don't uae any rear speakers at all in my setup and I couldn't be happier with the results. Some folks are just convinced that if "some" speakers is good then "more speakers" is even better. I'm here to tell you that it just aint so.

silver
    1998 Z28

you can put 8"s in the sail panels with some modifications. as long as their not too deep.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Look and learn? You crack me up!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Have you heard of bass blockers.
    Yes they are little caps/mechanical x-overs.You soldier them directly to the positive lead of the speaker. They come in different values for "cutting" out different freq. ANY time your running a sub I would install these on any mid or tweet UNLESS they come with there own cross-over network.
    That would be the point WhiteRascal if I have a real sub I'm not trying to get anything lower than 200hz out of any mid so it would be capped to that point.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I've contemplated 4x6s, 5x7s, 6x8s, and 6x9s back there. The space limitation is the depth. The passenger side has plenty of room, but the driver side only has about 3 inches.

Consider that if you want to use the stock speaker covers in the rear you're going to have to undermount the speaker. Therefore you'll have to measure the total height of the speaker as it would mount and ensure clearance. (Most of your higher quality 6x9s have about a 3" mounting depth, which is about 3 1/4" or more undermounted.) You also would need to cut out most of the plastic around the area to allow sound to escape. It would take a lot of work, and the right 6x9, but it would be possible.

It's your car, your system. After a lot of consideration, you may decide on something that would allow more clearance and be easier to install, like a 4x6 or 5x7, and trade someone your 6x9s for them.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Also take your 6x9 grills back there with the cover popped off and look where the bolt holes go. Very tight. Still possible, but very tight.

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Thanx for all the advice.....Im not sure if i really wanna do it now.....just cuz itll cost so much to do....I payed a good chunk of change for these new Rockford Fosgate 6x9's and put em in my wife's car....but she sold the car and i took the speakers out....they were only being used for like 2 weeks too

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

silver
    1998 Z28

i read somewhere that someone put 6x9's in the doors. i guess with the 6.5" mounting plate out of there, you can angle the 6x9's to fit.

Thread Information