Please help me out! [Stock keyless entry]

This is a discussion on Please help me out! [Stock keyless entry] within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; My GM remote has the hardest time remembering the code to the car. It's the cold. I had the same ...

Black
    1996 Camaro

Please help me out! [Stock keyless entry]

My GM remote has the hardest time remembering the code to the car. It's the cold. I had the same problem last winter, and went all summer without a single problem. Come the cold temperatures again, and it's back.

I have to resync my remote literally every time I unlock my car and lock it wherever i went. To unlock the car after it's been sitting a while, it takes at minimum 3 pushes, of which the parking lights flash for just a fraction of a second (the only way i can tell is because i have LEDs) and it sounds like it unlocks, but puts limited power to the locks and doesn't unlock it all the way. (hence the multiple pushes) If it takes 3 pushes to get the driver door unlocked, the remote no longer has lost the code and will no longer work until resync'd (lock/unlock held down for 8 seconds).

It's obviously something electronic related, and dependant on temperature.. the warmer it is, the less likely i have to resync the remote, until you hit about 60, when the problem disappears completely.

-The battery in the car is great, no lost power or hard starts in any conditions.
    -The battery in the remote has been replaced.

tia

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

how do your batt terminals look? Check the fuses, with a voltmeter. whats the chip in the key fob look like? any damage? Sounds like a power is getting sucked somewhere when its colder and the batt need to work harder. When your car is off can you turn you lights on, do you int. lights function the same as in the cold? when you manually lock and unlock you doors when its cold out, do they act diff then if it was warm?...........

Black
    1996 Camaro

The key fob was purchased used because when i bought the car, it had a factory alarm, but no remote. The remote programmed in just fine. I don't think the problem is with the remote, because it's temperature shouldn't change as it is always next to the heat of my leg. The battery terminals have been cleaned before and they are really in great shape, next to no corrosion. Everything seems to function properly and the car always starts right up. I have heard of weird things happening because the stock grounding wires are "inadequate" but i'm not sure that it would cause this problem and I don't have any of the other problems mentioned in context.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

well if you had a grounding problem it would most likely do it all the time. Did you check the fuse box it self , any corrosion where the fuses plug in? SO besides this there are no other electrical problems with the car. When you got the remote where did you get it from? You may ust want to get a brand new remote from Pontiac, its gonna be more $ but it may work better if the one you have now is busted. You dont keep the remote near any magnets or anythig like that do you? The only thing I can think is that there is something drawing power on th circuit board of the remote and its much harder on the battery in the cold. Thus leaking power somewhereand not drawing enough power from the batt. Also have you checked the actual buttons, things shrink when its cold and maybe something is sticking in there, i dunno. Let me know whats up.

Black
    1996 Camaro

As far as I know, there is no corrosion on any of the fuses in the box. The few times I've been in the fuse box, it was very clean and I wouldn't suspect there to be any corrosion on the terminals, but I will go ahead and check it when i have a minute. I'm skeptical that it would be the remote because I don't think the remote sees much of a temperature change since it spends most of it's time in my pocket with my body heat, and when it's not there, it's either in the ignition or on my bedstand. I may go ahead and get another remote though because my unlock and panic buttons are completely worn off now and lock and trunk are on their way out as well. i just wish i had a friend with the same remote that I could try out for a while to see if the remote is indeed the problem.

Black
    98 Trans Am

i would go and have GM check it.. i worked for gm for 4 years and seen it all the time.. Sometimes the computer chip inside just does not work properly...

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

they 1leathalls1,..wre you a mechanic for gm? if so i got a trans mount question for you.

Black
    98 Trans Am

re read the post lol.. Yes i was what can i do for you?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

well i am pretty sure the front trans mount has torn , getting a lot of flex when I get on th gas, how hard would it be fo rme to replace that mount, also any idea what it goes for?

Black
    98 Trans Am

Theres only one trans mount.. and i belive a polyurothane one goes for about 40-50 bucks

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i mean the front torque arm mount

Black
    98 Trans Am

Oh the tq arm mount. Not too bad and i believe its around the same price as above. Prolly can find one from Energy Suspension

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

how hard is that to replace i have never done it

Thread Information