Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

OMG - car wash destroyed my antenna

This is a discussion on OMG - car wash destroyed my antenna within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; Does the AutoZone one carry a lifetime warranty by chance? Can never go wrong with one of those.....

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Does the AutoZone one carry a lifetime warranty by chance? Can never go wrong with one of those..

Pewter
    2002 WS6

I went and looked at the autozone antenna today. It was a universal kit. Needless to say I was not impressed and will be buying the GM replacement part instead of installing that thing into my car.

-Eagle

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    I went and looked at the autozone antenna today. It was a universal kit. Needless to say I was not impressed and will be buying the GM replacement part instead of installing that thing into my car.

-Eagle
    Shoot me a PM, I'll show you where I bought my antenna.

Whatever you do, try to steer clear of the dealer

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Whatever you do, try to steer clear of the dealer
    Could always give Dal or Jason Cromer a call -- I've never been dissatisfied with their price/services for GM parts, and honestly don't know anyone who has been....(I don't know if this forum is familiar with those names...let me know).

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

the last time at a car wash it got mine also....never again will my car go through one

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict8 View Post
    the last time at a car wash it got mine also....never again will my car go through one
    Yea not as convenient for us Camaro owners to walk out and unscrew our antennas... I only use them in the winter when there's salt to get the undercarriage cleaned up - and always leave my antenna up hoping it gets damaged so I have an excuse to convert it to a power antenna......but it's survived fine. Guess sometimes you get lucky, other times you don't..

Pewter
    2002 WS6

I was going to get it from gmpartsdirect.com... nuttin wrong with that, right?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    I was going to get it from gmpartsdirect.com... nuttin wrong with that, right?
    nope - not usually - I always give Jason Cromer a call anyway - 877.726.8295 -- he IS located in FL, but shipping is very reasonable....there are a lot of things he is much cheaper for, and a lot are about the same -- but it's just a phone call and maybe 2 minutes of your time to find out. Or, if you prefer to -- send a question/comment to parts here for the price.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

I feel your pain!! I took my car to Car Spa FIRST DAY I HAD IT, less than 3 hours after buying it and some stupid young woman scratched the hell out of my drivers side window with a diamond ring! Multiple scratches. They didn't pay for any of it either. Needless to say I am NEVER taking my car for someone else to wash again. Which sucks because I don't have a hose hookup at my apartment.. so I just have to use the quarter machine things at car washes.

sped
    I've worked at a car wash for four years, and although it is easy to catch a power antenna up and put it down, it's just irritating how many people pass up all the signs and get in there and not put it down.

Either way, no matter how many signs we put up, we still take responsiblity and reimburse the person for stuff like that, unless there' some stupid detail to the story.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

So how hard is it to replace one of these, I assume its located in the trunk?

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Ya, its behind the spare tire in the passenger rear of the car... right under the fender where it's mounted. I don't think there's much to replacing it. Still working on ordering one... just call me a poor slacker.

-Eagle

Zoinx! Same f-n thing just happened to me....maybe 20 minutes ago. I saw some trailer park dude looking at my car in the rear view when I pulled out. I was like "ain't the first T/A this guys seen, wonder why he's rubber neckin my ride?". Wouldn't you know it....damn toothless bastard.

I need to pop a new one in there. You can get to it from the trunk? I thing I'll wire a switch in to deactivate it. I only listen to CD's anyway.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

I've listened to my CD collection longer than I care to. I need a new antenna.

Yes, its accessible from the spare tire area in the hatch.

-Eagle

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

So...?

While on the antenna topic, how long is it supposed to be fully extended? Reason I ask is, mine only comes up about 24" and makes a grinding noise when its almost finished, pretty loud too, can't imagine thats a good sign, I also pulled it out with my hands while it was coming up to see if it went up any further and it looks like the painter missed the last portion, its black but the closer you get to the end of the last section you can see the metal.
    Any way to service these to make them work better?
    Yeah an inline switch would be nice, IMHO.
    BTW-Not sure if its the antenna or the pioneer avx-p7300dvd radio in my bird but my reception is less than stellar on fm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information