Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Old School Power!!!

Anyone else run true OLD SCHOOL power...?
    Here is a few pics of my collection. The amps of today are NO WHERE near what they used to be!!
    People want to go BestBuy and spend $300 on a 1000 watt amp.
    Shit back in the hay day of the car stereo days if you paid a $1 a watt for clean quality power it was a good deal.
    Class d amps don't sound the same I don't care how efficient they are.

Made in the USA is the only amps you'll ever find in any of my cars!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

The old school stuff is great. I bought 2 MtX 2150x amps off ebay for around $100 total shipped.. over 1,000 watts of true power and sound great. Built like a tank..bought a newer Mtx amp for other car and is crap, Mtx is nothing like the old days. I have a Orion old school amp in my closet, never even really used it, had it hooked up, blew up my sub and the amp quit working. Was my bad, but would like to get that one going again.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
    The old school stuff is great. I bought 2 MtX 2150x amps off ebay for around $100 total shipped.. over 1,000 watts of true power and sound great. Built like a tank..bought a newer Mtx amp for other car and is crap, Mtx is nothing like the old days. I have a Orion old school amp in my closet, never even really used it, had it hooked up, blew up my sub and the amp quit working. Was my bad, but would like to get that one going again.
    I can line you up with some one that can fix for a reasonable price. I really liked the Blue Thunder Series when they broke out in the early-mid 90's.
    Most of the old school quality amps had such a low distortion rate the human ear can't even hear that minimal amount if you have speakers that can handle the power.

Here is a box we just finished for my 1 12" Kove Armageddon it has a single 4ohm voice coil so it will see a TRUE 900 watts at 12volts. The box is 1 1/4" MDF and the port is tuned for Hz so it should pound. The last 3 boxes the woofer was in it blew them apart in a month or so.

[URL=http://www.pimpandhost.com] Here is the Board out of one of my ZUES's. That is what a real power supply looks like. And these are unregulated so that amp that was rated at 12 volts will easily push OVER Watts at 13.8-14 which is what my 250 amp alt is set at.
    Last edited by LS2Tuner; 10-02-2007 at 09:18 AM.

Jiuce it 'till it pings!! 97LTWON's Avatar

Midight blue
    1999 Z28

Nice old school collection bro. That PPI black art series with yellow silk screen is wayyyy rare! PPI custom painted to order those art series amps. I could really talk some old school with you. Those HiFonics mids and tweets are super rare. Hold on too them. I have had two a lot of systems from back in the day. In one car i had just two Hifonics platinum Ulysses series 6 amps.That was a cool 100 watt system. Had a Zapco system with 3 Z220's with the custom red anodized heat sinks from Zapco. That system was soooo clean! Also had the old scool Alphasonic's all class A amps, i think four amps total with that system. But i think the cleanest system i had going was all PPI "M" series with the balanced signal inputs. 2 20150's for the subs,and one 2075 for the mids (6 total) and one 2075 for 4 tweets. Going through a ppi crossover and then through a PAR225 all with balanced cables with the phantom power. That my friend was the most accurate sounding system i have ever constructed. Damn, you just made me want to get on ebay and buy up some more old school equiptment!!!!!!!!!!! I think i will go with PPI "M" series again, only with the balanced phantom power cables!!!!
    Oh, and i cannot forget the system with the 1 HCCA 425 1st gen series with the BDG 400 bridging module. That class A amp was so warm sounding at just 2 ohms. Almost like a tube amp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

You can find some nice stuff on ebay for cheap. One place had some older Orion 2 ohm 6.5 inch speakers that would be perfect for the sailpanel in the Camaro. I almost bought them, but I wasn't sure how much power I really needed and wasn't sure if the stock amp was enough. The same place deals with the old school amp add ons like the power inputs for the orions etc...
    I am 41 this month and been into car audio since the early 80's..I remember everyone making fun of me when I was 17 and had a few 12's and tv in my car lol Even the swap meet amps back then would hold up to abuse. Had some Godfather speakers and at the time they were hot, not sure whatever happened to that company. Had some old punch amps etc.. I really like the MTX 2150x, if you have a good connection and don't turn up the gains to make it clip, it is bulletproof. Small footprint and lots of nice power. The 2300x puts out around 900 watts and is the next one I may get.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by 97LTWON View Post
    Nice old school collection bro. That PPI black art series with yellow silk screen is wayyyy rare! PPI custom painted to order those art series amps. I could really talk some old school with you. Those HiFonics mids and tweets are super rare. Hold on too them. I have had two a lot of systems from back in the day. In one car i had just two Hifonics platinum Ulysses series 6 amps.That was a cool 100 watt system. Had a Zapco system with 3 Z220's with the custom red anodized heat sinks from Zapco. That system was soooo clean! Also had the old scool Alphasonic's all class A amps, i think four amps total with that system. But i think the cleanest system i had going was all PPI "M" series with the balanced signal inputs. 2 20150's for the subs,and one 2075 for the mids (6 total) and one 2075 for 4 tweets. Going through a ppi crossover and then through a PAR225 all with balanced cables with the phantom power. That my friend was the most accurate sounding system i have ever constructed. Damn, you just made me want to get on ebay and buy up some more old school equiptment!!!!!!!!!!! I think i will go with PPI "M" series again, only with the balanced phantom power cables!!!!
    Oh, and i cannot forget the system with the 1 HCCA 425 1st gen series with the BDG 400 bridging module. That class A amp was so warm sounding at just 2 ohms. Almost like a tube amp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Believe it or not I have a mint A600 that matches that A100 but I keep that in the gun safe with other valuable collection..... I also have a few Sedona's that I really like from like the 93 era.
    I had many woofer beds back in the mini truck days and I must say my set-up with 8 8"'s on 2 A1200 was the best. With the HiFonics set-up in second it just wasn't as tight and fast. That had 2 15's on a Colossus @8 ohms and 4 12's on a Zues @4 ohms.
    I also have a few Autoteks that I love.Did have a few huge Earthquakes that Steve made at Zed Audio but got a offerer I could not refuse from a fellow collector so I let them go.
    Lanzar original Opti's did the job for me too but I seemed to have problems with them always getting hot when running bridged.

I've had a lot of new shit and like I said it's SHIT!! NO HEAD ROOM....Have to run @1 ohm to get power and by then it's soooo dirty and draws soooo much current it's pointless. You would be surprised how many deals you can find on Ebay when listed improperly. If I told you what I paid for that mint A100 you would shit.
    I take these kids new stuff tell them to sell it for a 1/3 of what they paid and get them a full old school set-up and they love it. Usually they are back with friends in a week or two wanting to convert also.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Like this Boltar.....$200 for a true CLEAN 700+ watts!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Hifonics-Boltar-...QQcmdZViewItem

That is a killer deal. If I still had SeriesVII stuff I qould buy it for myself.
    If you have a 2@ohm set-up now that you could change the wiring and come up with a 4@ohm load it will bang some subs like NO tomorrow. If you have a NEW style class D that is suposed to be 1200-1500 watts I'll bet money this will hit harder and much cleaner for $200. This things produce amazing power at only 4@ohms bridged. NOT 2 ohms or 1 or even 1/2ohm.
    This amp is from Steve in 91-92 era of HiFonics.
    I've had many of these and they put out 900+ on the bench at 14 volts.

And here is a Zues that will end up going for $300-375 for a real ZUES thata an honest 1000 watt amp at a mere 12.8v.
    These things are awsome at 8 ohms bridged. It's an honest 600 and it's only at 8 ohms distorsion level is so small you couldn't hear it .02%. The headroom in huge on these.http://cgi.ebay.com/Hifonics-Zeus-VI...QQcmdZViewItem

PPI's too......http://cgi.ebay.com/PPI-A600-ART-SER...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PPI-Precision-Po...QQcmdZViewItem

Had a few of these Kenwoods too they were really good also......http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-1023-car...QQcmdZViewItem
    Great 6X9 amp....http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-1023-car...QQcmdZViewItem

My favorite 4 channel ever.....http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-SCHOOL-ROCKF...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockford-Fosgate...QQcmdZViewItem

Midight blue
    1999 Z28

I see that you know a ton about 12 volt. It is cool to rap with someone that knows thier sh$t about 12volt,mainly old school. I am 35 years old and grew up in the 80's when like you said "$1 a watt" was the benchmark. Anything cheaper than that you knew that the product was made overseas somewhere.Although Japan made some bad ass sh$t!!! You are a pleasure to talk to bro,not only about 12volt,but i see you know a ton about nitrous as well. I have a 99 Z that has the basic bolt ons with a 125 shot. Car has 150k miles and i spray the crap out of it!I spend wayyyy tooo much money on filling up the ol' bottle,but it is fun as hell! Thanks for the entertainment (pictures and memories of when the 12volt industry meant something!)

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by 97LTWON View Post
    I see that you know a ton about 12 volt. It is cool to rap with someone that knows thier sh$t about 12volt,mainly old school. I am 35 years old and grew up in the 80's when like you said "$1 a watt" was the benchmark. Anything cheaper than that you knew that the product was made overseas somewhere.Although Japan made some bad ass sh$t!!! You are a pleasure to talk to bro,not only about 12volt,but i see you know a ton about nitrous as well. I have a 99 Z that has the basic bolt ons with a 125 shot. Car has 150k miles and i spray the crap out of it!I spend wayyyy tooo much money on filling up the ol' bottle,but it is fun as hell! Thanks for the entertainment (pictures and memories of when the 12volt industry meant something!)
    No problem for a minute I thought there was NO real audiophiles on here.
    I'm 30 and have been doing stereo installs and playing since I was 14.
    Bottle loves loose motors. The key I have learned on that note though is to use thick oil to help keep from getting oil in the intake charge.
    Oil ='s detonation and detonation='s

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Had to move some stuff out the closet this morning and clicked off a few pics foe the veterans.........

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Oops that motor pis wasn't supposed to be in there....That's a customers 355 with a 144 that I just did a NX alcohol plate on top of the blower with a stand alone fuel system.
    Here is the rest of the pics.....

Midight blue
    1999 Z28

Very nice closet collection of old ZED Audio Gear. I see you have a Ulysses high current amp in that mix. Very cool and very,very rare. The two i had were the generation before that amp you have. I purchased the two back in 97 from a kid i was working with at Titleist Golf for $100 for the pair! He sold them to me to help him buy a Crossfire CFA1000D. He didnt know what he had obviously. I ended up selling them of to a good friend and amp collector of mine along with my Z220's in 2003. I held on to them, but my jealous wife of the time (of all of my 12volt stuff in the closet) was giving me hell about my closet collection,and she was tossing them around like an ass face so i gave them up to someone that would take care of them. Anyways, i ended up getting rid of my ex soon afterAgain, i envy your collection bro. All i have left is whats in my Z, an older eclipse 4 channel for my two sets of kicker R6's from 2000,and a JBL BP600 for my one JBL P1020 sub. I have them going through a kicker KQ5. Front stage sounds pretty damn good. They are not compression drivers up front,but they are pretty smooth and flat. I THINK Its time to change up and back about 8 to 10 years on my equipment.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

You want some clean clear mids and tweets.... Here is your amp as long as you have effiecent speakers. If you have a few pairs to were you can make a 2@ohm stereo load this thing will still put out clean power.
    I have 2 of these and love them.
    You will not be disapointed!!
    Seller has 100% feedback so I would not even think twice you will be able to get this for under $200 and it will blow ANY 4 channel that is $400 today out of the water.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HiFonics-JUNO-se...QQcmdZViewItem

And this is one of my favorite amps ever made...... I will promise you that this amp makes more power than you'll ever need!! I paid $2800 for this amp and it was a good deal at that price back in the day. This is the sickest amp Rockford ever made!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-ORIGINAL-ROC...QQcmdZViewItem
    359 feedback and 99.4% feedback I don't think you would have to worry about this purchase.
    If you want to own one of the best amps ever made here is your chance.

LPM
    2001 WS6

so i am not the only old school audio head i am nearly 45 and remember in the '70's a system meant jensen coaxials or triaxials with a realistic combo eq/40watt power booster

i am putting a system together built around a brand new sony cdx-c90 and using ppi art series a404 for mids and highs and an a600.2 for my stealth box i have those two amps in my possession but am always searching around for old school clean power. especially ebay seller justonemoreamp, he always has killer sound quality amps from back in the day.

keep on rocking

jman

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

LS2Tuner - very cool collection you have there. I remember some of those from my high school days. I have always liked RF myself.

I am about to buy a system for my z/28 (even though I said I never would)- do you think that RF amps are pretty good? Thanks

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Those things go in cars? Jesus, I would have to put helper springs on the back just to support it. Old school everything was metal cased and big + heavy. Now we use lightweight plastic small and compact.

I have one thing from the 80's...a panasonic ghetto blaster boombox. Built like a tank, but it can't compare to my 560 watt sony mini-system.

Silver
    99 Camaro

looks nice.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Old School? Oh Yeah!!

Orion The Beast! true 1000 watt! I have seen these old ass amps go for $1,500 on Ebay! I have this amp hooked to a 1 farad cap that powers a 1,200 watt 10" Orion DVC sub in a stealth box. The amp pushes the sub to a 4" excursion! It shakes!

Last edited by 9t8z28; 10-27-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Black
    99 Z28

I run the black A series PPI amps. Those are some great amps. lots of power, gorgeous sound. Love 'em.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    12" Kove Armageddon it has a single 4ohm voice coil so it will see a TRUE 900 watts at 12volts.
    I have 4 15" kove audio 2 or 4 ohm subs If your interested make me an offer. Dad tryed to build a siren out of them but with the small ar space he was using couldnt ge much over 100db out of them and he had a cheap amp. I had one paired with a kenwood 600 watt amp in my old truck but the amp couldnt do the sub justice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information