black
    1998 Z28

Non monsoon spkr selection

Looking at all these threads it seems everyone has monsoon systems. My 98Z was gov't ordered so it just had an AM/FM radio so I replaced it with a monsoon HU for the cd. But I need to replace the 4 spkrs...What's the best way to go?

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

If all you are getting is power from the headunit, you should get the most efficient ones out there. The headunit doesn't put out much power so some starting model Polks, Alpines or Infinity's should be fine. I added some Infinity reference speakers in my other car up front and some Polk's in the back seat, all running off the headunit. I get nice highs up front and the Polk's give me a little better mids, so the setup sounds really good.

Black
    99 SS

you also prolly have the same system as me, you do have an amp somewhere, you you will need to go with the infititys like the rest of us, the amp is located under the kick panel where the glove box is check there and see if you have an amp first so you dont buy the wrong speakes and then have the door panels off and be fucked like i was

black
    1998 Z28

Thanks guys--I was wondering about the actual spkr connections--would an aftermarket spkr be a clean swap or are there splicing issues?
    Also-is that true what Boner said that there is a seperate amp in a non monsoon car? I wouldn't think so.

RGAllen26
    Quote Originally Posted by camarokiddave
    Thanks guys--I was wondering about the actual spkr connections--would an aftermarket spkr be a clean swap or are there splicing issues?
    Also-is that true what Boner said that there is a seperate amp in a non monsoon car? I wouldn't think so.
    You can go to Best Buy and get the connectors for the aftermarket speakers for about $7.00 a pair. They hook right in to the factory connectors.

RGAllen26
    You can get a pair of connectors at Best Buy that will plug right in to the factory output plug and already has terminals that will plug in to aftermarket speakers. They're about $7.00 a pair.

black
    1998 Z28

Thanks RG---

---but there is not an amp somewhere else, is there?

2002 Z28

I wouldn't think there would be a stock seperate amp in a non monsoon car. The actual speaker connections are unlike any other setup in any car I ever seen. The only replacement speaker that requires no modifications with the Monsoon setup and has the same seperate tweeter and woofer inputs is the Infinity 62.7i or 63.7i(they are also 2ohm, and the factory woofer in the door and sailpanel is 2ohm, so they work perfectly), you don't even have to use the crossover that comes with them. Others have used Alpines and they are 4ohm and require modding the tweeter input to make it work. About any set of components will work, but they are 4ohm and normally will have decreased output and most components like more power than the Monsoon amp puts out. I have been posting a lot about the Infinity speakers, but the only reason is they are the only 2ohm speaker out there that requires zero mods for the Camaro. Many places that sell car audio don't even have a clue to how the Monsoon setup is and people looking at places like crutchfield are finding they list the 62.7i as not fitting and they list another model, when the 62.7i is the perfect replacement in a stock setup.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 02-12-2006 at 01:26 PM.

RGAllen26
    Are you saying that 2ohm speakers are the best set up for a monsoon HU? I recently installed a Monsoon AM/FM CD player in my T/A and when I removed the old speakers in the back they were 10 ohm with the old non-Monsoon HU. I Installed 4 ohm 2ways, cuz I was informed that is what the Monsoon required. Did I screw up?

2002 Z28

The HU weather it be Monsoon or aftermarket only powers the front door tweeters and far rear 4 inch speakers at 4 ohms. The Monsoon amp powers the woofer in the front doors and the subs in the sailpanel at 2 ohms. I've never seen a non monsoon car setup. The Monsoon HU is 4ohms, but like I said it only powers the door tweeters and the little 4inch speaker in the hatch. I would think a sure way to tell if you have a factory amp, is the dual inputs on the front door speakers, since the tweeter and woofer are powered seperate. In a non Monsoon setup there would be no need for a dual input speaker.

RGAllen26
    Thanks for the info Rotwiler. My '94 T/A is a convertible, so I have 6.5s in the rear quarters. I just swapped out the orig. AM/FM cassette for the Monsoon AM/FM CD unit from an '01 model. I was just concerned about the HU not having the proper ohm resistance in the real speakers. I threw in some expendable 6.5s in the rear that had 4ohm impedance. The original rear speakers were 10 ohm, so I guess thats what the non-monsoon unit required. Right now it sounds okay, I'm not gonna win any awards for sound, but it still has the factory appearance.

Thread Information