Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

New stereo setup?

Due to the common problem of front-door speaker blowing on Camaro's....I was thinking of redoing my stereo system. I was thinking of a new headunit that would power new door speakers. I would then have 4 new rear speakers (Back seat and the hatch) powered by a 4-channel amp. Nothing too crazy.

I know I would need to run power to the amp, a ground, a remote wire, and wiring to the 4 speakers. Do I have to run speaker wire from the head unit to the door speakers? I'm not too familiar with the Monsoon stereo setup, but I have heard it's a pain with compatibility, wiring, etc. Will I run into any problems and is this what people commonly do? Thanks!

P.S. Anyone know of a good stereo/electronics website that has good prices?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

The HU is a poor source of power for the speakers. I'd recommend getting a 4 channel amp to run the door and rear speakers. Forget about the hatch area speakers. If you really want a good sounding system forget about rear speakers all together. Instead do what I did and get a good set of components for the doors and a subwoofer or two. If you do it right you'll never miss the rear speakers. Rear seat passengers will thank you for it too. Having a speaker blasting into your shoulder while sitting in back is not what I would call quality listening. Whenever I demo my setup for people they always ask me what speakers I have in back. A lot of times I have to pop off the speaker grills just to prove to them that I don't have any speakers in back. They can't believe how good it sounds without them. IMO the ONLY time you need rear speakers is in a true surround sound setup where the signal to the rears can be delayed.

I would recommend buying your HU from an authorized dealer like Crutchfield or Sound Domain. With all the moving parts inside a HU that can go bad on you it's best to have a manufacturer's warranty to fall back on. You can save money on the rest of the gear. IkeSound.com is a place I've dealt with in the past and had good results. I've even had to make a return to them once and had no hassles at all doing so.
    Last edited by White Rascal; 11-04-2005 at 03:06 AM.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

What are the sizes of the factory speakers? Does anyone have problems mounting good speakers...in the front door panels (I was thinking the magnet could be to big to fit)? Thanks for the replies!

1999 Chevy Camaro

I had some trouble getting my Sony Explodes to fit in the doors. There a little tight on a camaro door and don't line up quite right with the screw holes. So I had to jirry rig it to work. Wanted to use the baffles that came with them, but there wasn't enough room .

Rob

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

infinity kappa 62.7i kick ass

Thread Information