Thread: new speakers

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

new speakers

hey guys i know nothing about speakers and such. i need new ones for my z. how do i find ones that will fit in my car? and any wattage specs or anything? not looking for something amazing just better than stock. dont have room for a sub either and dont want to spend alot cuz i would rather buy performance parts. i have a stock head unit dont know if that matters.

Ray Charles blue

I am interestd in finding this out as well. I would like to swap them out but not spend a lot.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

subscribed. i sure wouldnt mind knowing of some decently priced better then stock speakers

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

for some reason im getting the impression no one looks at this part of the forum. or no one knows anything about speakers.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

this thread hasnt even been up for a whole day yet some people are at work thats why there isnt a response yet!!!! looking up what size they are is pretty easy go to bestbuy.com crutchfield.com...ect to look up the size of your speakers u can also order them from there also... people bring up this subject a lot in this forum if u take 5 minutes im sure u will find everything u need to know.... the only this that your really need to worry about is if u get a speaker that requires a good amount of power u will need a new seperate amp for them if u use factory u will need to match the ohms of the factory speakers(monsoon).... do abit of forum searching you will find everything u need to know!

white
    1998 Trans Am

well i just replaced all speakers and put a new head unit in my TA and only spent about $400.. all shopping was done online.. it takes alittle research, but you can get great speakers for great prices online.. i got a discount on my pioneer DEH-P8300 headunit which is a freaking awesome unit..got my front door speakers for $140 and my replaced the subs in the sail panel with new memphis 6.5s.. got those for $98.. now memphis isnt the top of the line, but they are very good.. currently i have them running off just my headunit and they blast out some good sound.. will be changing that here shortly and adding a small amp for them. there is another member on here that has the same set up as me, he loves it aswell.. it all depends on how much you want to spend.. ebay is a great place to shop.. jsut make sure the seller has a 98 or above rating and is not a personal seller.. what i mean is they have an established store with great ratings.. kicker, alpine, memphis, infinity are all good speakers.. you can also check here.. www.onlinecarstereo.com

have bought some stuff from them in the past.. your front door and sail panel speakers are both 6 1/2 inches... the very rear speakers are something like 4 1/2 i think.. i deleted mine... now most speakers will not be direct replacements, so you will have to make templets to cover the hole and give you something to mount the speaker to. not hard to do..made 4 templets like 30 min.. if you want direct replacements, there are right ups with site names on here.. i read them when making a decision on what to do with mine.. i will help with any questions you may have if i can..

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Do you have the monsoon system?

white
    1998 Trans Am

i had the monsoon system.. but every speaker in the car was shot when i got it.. so i upgraded.. never was really impressed with the monsoon system in the first place... the quality of the speakers blows.. stupid paper cone crap..whoever started that should be beat with live monkey..every vehicle i have ever had that usually the first thing that goes is the crap stock speakers.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

You can do a search for Kee Audio...I've been casually looking for upgrades for the sail panels as well since last summer. Seems like I'm in the same boat as a few others in this thread - mainly a performance guy, but don't want to go without a stereo and if you have to replace anything, you might as well do a gentle upgrade.

That site provides individual replacement speakers or complete packages. I want to be clear that I haven't gotten replacements yet, but will be in April when some of their stock gets replenished. Not any kind of endorsement, but I found it to be a good place to start looking and at least get familiar with what's available.

I am going with the Bazookas from that site based upon the owner's recommendation for a factory upgrade keeping the stock amp and wiring. Direct bolt in replacements. There are some speakers from CDT, I believe, that also are direct bolt-ins, but I was told they are overkill unless you are planning amp upgrades.

I hope that at least gets you pointed in the right direction, I know I found getting my bearings a little daunting at first.
    Nick

2002 Trans Am WS6 - 520rwhp
    D1SC @ 10lbs | FLT Level V - SS3600 - ARH 1 3/4" LTs w/ Catted Y-pipe - Corsa - Koni 4/3's - UMI Adj. LCAs and Brackets - UMI 3 Pt. SFC's - UMI PHB - UMI STB - TTM's (17X9, 17X10.5) - M/T ET Streets

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Hey thanks guys! I hit up crutchfield and between that and the info in this thread I got my stuff picked out! Will update when I buy it!!

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

+1 for kee...

Thread Information