Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New speakers

This is a discussion on New speakers within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by 02WS6dream exactly--we have similar goals when it comes to stereo! What I'm trying to explain is that ...

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    exactly--we have similar goals when it comes to stereo! What I'm trying to explain is that new speakers will distort at the same volume level as your like-new performing stock ones. It isn't the speaker causing the distortion--they are simply reproducing the clipped distorted signal being sent to them by the overdriven stock amp. And I'm not hating on the monsoon amp--it fulfills the needs of plenty of ppl--but listening to nice clear loud music at highway speeds with tops off is out of its league!! You can up a small 50X2 amp for pretty cheap ($100-150); its small, and much more capable than the stock one. Hope this helps! good luck!
    it does help. trying to configure a nice setup here. the more i know the better. couple questions...

1) where is the stock monsoon 500w amp located?

2) would it be possible/would it help to just replace the monsoon amp with a newer, better 500w amp?

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

but this is a common belief. the sound comes from the speaker, so it is natural to conclude the speaker must not be able to 'handle' the power and that I higher rated one won't do that when the radio/amp is cranked all the way up. Truth is almost always the distortion you notice is the result of an underpowered (for the desired volume) amp. Sorry I'm so long winded--but this and electronics in general is a special interest and hobby of mine! Read as much about and tinker with it more than i do the car!

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    it does help. trying to configure a nice setup here. the more i know the better. couple questions...

1) where is the stock monsoon 500w amp located?

2) would it be possible/would it help to just replace the monsoon amp with a newer, better 500w amp?
    Keep in mind that GM's idea of 500 watts and the actual, comparable rating of aftermarket amps is much different. lol. I'll give ya the best advice I can with what you're trying to achieve/budget. I'm sure others will have valuable advice/input/experiences as well..

I think you should begin with the small amp i've mentioned, and I can give specific examples if wanted/given the time to actually look rather than B.S.

I would at the same time purchase an affordable set of components, like the ones you linked above. I would also suggest checking out crutchfield.com for equipment--no taxes, unbeatable prices, and better customer support than i recieved from local shop--purchased stuff from them for the first time last month--very impressed--these guys are good!
    This should set you back around 300 when all said and done--but that's what you would have spent replacing every speaker in the car.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

see how you like that--it will be a drastic improvement in volume and sound quality. You may then find you need more bottom end to balance everything--look into the stealth 10" sub box. Wouldn't have to do it right away, and you may be happy without it. In my current mustang, the stock subs would distort at the levels I play the rest of the system, and I have 'real' subs in the trunk to handle low end duty so I disabled them. did the same thing in the t/a. I know money is an issue; but would be a great conservative, non-intrusive system--1)front door components on 50x2 amp 2)10" stealth sub with same size amp 3)stock HU, back speakers on stock amp 4)disconnect sail subs to eliminate distorting/rattling at high volume. everything--$600 if shopped.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Keep in mind that GM's idea of 500 watts and the actual, comparable rating of aftermarket amps is much different. lol. I'll give ya the best advice I can with what you're trying to achieve/budget. I'm sure others will have valuable advice/input/experiences as well..

I think you should begin with the small amp i've mentioned, and I can give specific examples if wanted/given the time to actually look rather than B.S.

I would at the same time purchase an affordable set of components, like the ones you linked above. I would also suggest checking out crutchfield.com for equipment--no taxes, unbeatable prices, and better customer support than i recieved from local shop--purchased stuff from them for the first time last month--very impressed--these guys are good!
    This should set you back around 300 when all said and done--but that's what you would have spent replacing every speaker in the car.
    well the extent of my install knowledge goes as far as replacing headunits, swapping speakers, and running a sub. ive never done anything with amplifying the door speakers/messing with multi-channel amps. so to be honest im kinda clueless. how do i run that on a factory HU?
    Last edited by mpfranks; 03-03-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

see how you like that--it will be a drastic improvement in volume and sound quality. You may then find you need more bottom end to balance everything--look into the stealth 10" sub box. Wouldn't have to do it right away, and you may be happy without it. In my current mustang, the stock subs would distort at the levels I play the rest of the system, and I have 'real' subs in the trunk to handle low end duty so I disabled them. did the same thing in the t/a. I know money is an issue; but would be a great conservative, non-intrusive system--1)front door components on 50x2 amp 2)10" stealth sub with same size amp 3)stock HU, back speakers on stock amp 4)disconnect sail subs to eliminate distorting/rattling at high volume. everything--$600 if shopped.
    that sounds like a nice setup, but like i said before, i dont wanna go crazy cuz i would rather spend the money under the hood or chassis. if it came down to $600, i could live with the factory monsoon

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

there is a simple adapter made to connect aftermarket amp to factory deck. Since your factory deck doesn't have preamp (RCAs) out to hook to amp, the adapter will attach to the speaker leads BEFORE the monsoon amp (after would give you that same distorted signal we're trying to avoid) and have RCA's at the other end to connect to the aftermarket amp. the one i had before I replaced the HU in in my mustang also turned the amp on/off (since there also isn't a remote wire on your factory HU to connect to) Everything else is exactly the same. The guys at crutchfield I know can get you the exact adapter you'll need and give you specific instructions as to which wires on the back of the stock HU to tap etc--they were awesome at helping me accomplish my complex goals when integrating a new HU in my mustang.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

that sounds like a nice setup, but like i said before, i dont wanna go crazy cuz i would rather spend the money under the hood or chassis. if it came down to $600, i could live with the factory monsoon
    Different strokes for different folks! I still have yet to do ANY performance mods because my priority was stereo and enjoying trips/etc. So I understand that--would love to do other things, but not enough $ to do everything! Its hard to cheaply improve the monsoon since its such an integrated system--that seperate amp really complicates significantly improving without replacing several items..That's why i just replaced Everything in mine.. Hope you're able to find a setup that does what you want for a price you're willing to pay. If I get a chance I'll scope it out more and hit ya back!

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

just for fun..here's how i solved the t-top monsoon dilemma when I had my ws.6..went well over the 600 dollar budget though...

100x2 amp on front components, 50 x 2 amp on full range 6.5 coaxial in sail panels (replaced the monsoon speakers with full range--deleted rear hatch speakers), and 1000W on 2 12" eclipse subs. Loud and clear, any type of music, at any speed--with wind in the hair
    Last edited by 02WS6dream; 03-03-2009 at 12:27 AM.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Different strokes for different folks! I still have yet to do ANY performance mods because my priority was stereo and enjoying trips/etc. So I understand that--would love to do other things, but not enough $ to do everything! Its hard to cheaply improve the monsoon since its such an integrated system--that seperate amp really complicates significantly improving without replacing several items..That's why i just replaced Everything in mine.. Hope you're able to find a setup that does what you want for a price you're willing to pay. If I get a chance I'll scope it out more and hit ya back!
    hey thanks alot for the help

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

glad to share what i can--anytime!

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

thats awesome to hear. which speaker made the biggest difference? since we have TA's i know some of the setups are different than that of the camaro, so i just want to make sure im getting the right stuff. im no stereo newb, but this monsoon setup if def different from anything else. also, how much did u end up spending with all new speakers? thanks again
    i spent $92 on the infinity component set for the front door and $48 for the rear hatch alpine speakers at www.techronics.com. for the subs at keeaudio i paid $119. id say the front door speakers made the biggest difference because of the clarity they have compared to the stock stuff. the subs also made more bass. the alpines in the back dont play as loud as the stock speakers which is actually a good thing cause the system is better balanced and they are much more clear and crisp.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    i spent $92 on the infinity component set for the front door and $48 for the rear hatch alpine speakers at www.techronics.com. for the subs at keeaudio i paid $119. id say the front door speakers made the biggest difference because of the clarity they have compared to the stock stuff. the subs also made more bass. the alpines in the back dont play as loud as the stock speakers which is actually a good thing cause the system is better balanced and they are much more clear and crisp.
    Those choices sound like good value! Would you agree that replacing the rears really isn't all that necessary; especially on a budget? I mean..how often do you sit in the back seat? with decent fronts and balance, you shouldn't hear the rears really--they just 'fill'.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    what about the difference between the infinitys and the pioneers? pretty much same just different brands, preference? i have found the door and the hatch speakers from pioneer on ebay, new for about $140

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Those choices sound like good value! Would you agree that replacing the rears really isn't all that necessary; especially on a budget? I mean..how often do you sit in the back seat? with decent fronts and balance, you shouldn't hear the rears really--they just 'fill'.
    thats kinda true but for the $48 its basically worth it because the alpines are so much clearer and less distorted than the stock speakers.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

what about the difference between the infinitys and the pioneers? pretty much same just different brands, preference? i have found the door and the hatch speakers from pioneer on ebay, new for about $140
    not really sure about the pioneers but reason why i got the infinity's is because i had good luck with them in the past and they provide better quality sound according to many people than any other speaker in its price range. check on crutchfield.com and u will see all the good reviews. they also have high sensitivity so they play loud even on the stock system. only better choice speaker that i know of that is even close to this price range are the polk audio db series components. i have those in my dakota r/t and they make the crappy stock system sound pretty good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information