Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    man_of_steel83

new headunit to factory system

hey guys, i really like the sound of my factory system on my 98 z28, but was thinking of replacing the headunit for a new one for sirius and to hook up my mp3 player to the car, but i was wondering if its possible to keep using the factory amp with the new unit, if so whats at stake ?
    Last edited by man_of_steel83; 01-27-2008 at 01:53 AM.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Man, I'll tell you what. I'm wondering about this too. I'm checking with Crutchfield, but I hate buying from them as they're normally overpriced - but on the up side their customer support is second to NONE and they can tell you whats compatible with the car. I'm currently looking at the Alpine CDA-9887, but all the talk of the $250 software in addition to the unit's $450 tag is kinda alarming and confusing at the same time.

Maybe someone can add to this? Also looked at the 7100 from Eclipse, but dropping $700 on a head unit just seems absurd.

Also need to add the steering wheel control unit so that the HU still functions with all that jazz.

Finally, the freekin monsoon amp setup being inline with this system is confusing too... not sure what needs to be done to retain that system....

Sad part is I really like the sound in the car as it sits STOCK, but I want to integrate my new Sirius Stiletto into the car and thought the wired FM tuner option would be crap...

UGH.

-Eagle
    Last edited by Eagle; 01-28-2008 at 07:01 AM.

^ you find a hu that integrates w steering wheel contols let me know !
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Pewter
    2002 WS6

LOL, will do, but I don't see that happening based on my current research...

Shhh! There's a
    hooker in the trunk

i have a newer (not the most current its like 1 yr old) alpine hu in mine, i had a knowledgable guy install it for me when i had my subs diagnosed for a buzzing problem. i had a module put in where i can use my steering wheels controls too it was ike 50 bucks i think. it works off of infrared i think???? something about it detects the signal bouncing off your body i remember him telling me. he had to drill a tiny hole in the radio trim and theres an eye there. only down side is that in very sunny conditions its hit or miss on working. 2 thumbs up tho on it!

Shhh! There's a
    hooker in the trunk

i have my ipod connected thru the back of the hu, so i dont even touch my ipod when its hooked up. its all controlled thru the hu. and the steering wheel but anyways, i have the factory amp and factory speakers hooked up too, however i do have another amp for my subs and i think my hu?? i dunno, but its possible. i usually have my music pounding and havent had any problems whatsoever for a yr now. someone will probably tell me my shits gonna blow out but it hasnt yet, and if it does, i will deal with it when the times comes lol
    you just need a guy who knows his shit because the fbody system is whacky. something about a different ohm rating that the system runs on. sorry if i just made it more confusing do a search youll see.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

http://www.soundgate.com/ and http://www.pac-audio.com/ both make steering wheel kits, some with IR, some that use hard wiring to eliminate the sunny day condition you mentioned. I think Danger is looking for a HU that has the controls integrated, not one that requires 3rd party stuff.

All this BS makes me wanna just spend $65 with Sirius to buy their car kit and just retain all the Monsoon craziness... cuz its just too much to tackle not to mention the price of doing the stereo right.

man_of_steel83
    I wanted a new HU just to be able to hook up an mp3 player and not have it sound like shit through the fm transmitter. Cause as far as the factory sound, im good, I love the way it sounds. best buy says it cant be done, atleast they wont do it

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

don't know if this helps but.... I have 02 t/a with alpine h/U so running my non-apple mp3 was no problem using interface--no mp3 control through h/u but clear, hard wired input that i installed cosmetically sound at less than 30 dollars. my girlfriend drives hyndai and i bought her mp3 player identical to mine for xmas. she has stock (infinity maybe?) stock stereo. From my very respected car audio guy, i purchased an fm modulator that does not transmit over air. Existing FM antenna plugs into box along with mp3 player via RCA into box and one output from box plugs into stock radio FM antenna input. Box is powered and has switch, which while turning box on and off; effectively switches between radio and MP3. On=MP3 at certain frequency blocking out interference from other frequencies while off = regular radio operation. I powered this box from the ignition switched power lead to the radio which insured that the box was not powered and draining battery while car was off and switch was left on, or in 'MP3 player' mode. If car was off, box was off too. this also cost around 30 dollars. I then did it to her sister's honda when her sister loved the set up in my g/f's car. POINT: you can do this relatively simply with the stock monsoon set up if you wish. Audiovox makes the kit and i will be happy to answer any questions you have. I have basic car electrical knowledge along with many car audio project experiences. If you understand basic auto electrical systems, you can install this kit.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

I have the Alpine 9887 in my car and love it to death. Go on ebay and pick one up for 200-250, thats what i did. There is also a kit you can buy to intergrate the HU to the steering wheel controls, i just havent done it. I bought the cord that connects to the back of the HU and runs to my Ipod, its hidden in the glovebox. Great receiver to me, i highly recommend it. I was also going to run Satellite radio but just never got around to it. Im pretty sure you can get around the 250 in software crap.

man_of_steel83
    yeah i've seen all that stuff you guys are talking about, but what im asking is, nobody here hooked up the factory amp to there aftermarket head unit? thats what im trying to do

Blue/Green Chameleon
    1999 Firebird

I have an aftermarket JVC headunit, AUX input for my MP3, and installed it all myself with factory amp integrated. Just used the wiring harness crutchfield recommended and hooked it up according to the diagram sent with it, still retains factory amp.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Maybe im reading this wrong or not getting it but if you splice into the right wires behind the HU, arent you still going to run off the factory amp? I mean those wires do run to the amp first and then out to the speakers.. It should go like any other HU install.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Yep, if you use a harness kit right behind the HU, then you're still inline with the factory amp.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Yes it will work. You can install an aftermarket Head Unit.

You will use a wiring harness which plugs into the factory connection and has open wires on the other side. Then solder the appropriate wires to the corresponding harness that comes with the head unit.

Now here is where you can run into issues:
    Aftermarket head units have built in amps. You will be sending an amplified signal into your stock amp which is not designed to receive an amplified signal. This MIGHT cause it to shut off a speaker at random, usually at higher volumes. You MAY not notice it. Depends on how attuned you are to your system.

Solution:
    Run wires directly from the aftermarket unit to each speaker. Here's the issue with that and our cars. Stock speakers are 2ohm and aftermarket head units generally run 4ohm. It will still work, but not as effeciently. Your music won't be as clear. So you'll have to replace your stock speakers as well.

Steering wheel controls:
    As stated above, there are kits available to make them work. Some head units are already setup to work with the controls. Some, like Sony, will not work at all. (or so I've been told) You'll have to do research and find what will and will not work.

Conclusion:
    The cheapest thing you can do to get your MP3 player to work with your radio is to buy the FM Transmitter. It's like $20 and the quality is not bad. I have one in mine and it sounds perfect.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

MP3 already sounds like shit anyways so you might as well get the FM transmitter. Sure connecting a ipod to your stereo is convieniant but its nowhere near cd quality IMO.

Shhh! There's a
    hooker in the trunk

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    MP3 already sounds like shit anyways so you might as well get the FM transmitter. Sure connecting a ipod to your stereo is convieniant but its nowhere near cd quality IMO.
    thats probably cuz you have crap mp3 quality??? i dunno.. my ipod hooked straight to the hu sounds perfect!!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmy View Post
    thats probably cuz you have crap mp3 quality??? i dunno.. my ipod hooked straight to the hu sounds perfect!!
    MP3 sound quality is a much lower sound quality compared to CD sound quality. In other words you play a song on your mp3 player (ipod) through your stereo(hooked up direct) and you think "hey that sounds pretty damn good!-perfect!" now buy a cd from a store of that very same song and play it through your cd player on your stereo. The CDs sound quality blows off the MP3(ipod) sound quality. The reason is CD format is better than MP3 format because it takes more space on a file therefore producing more realistic high fidelity sound. This is the reason you can put 1,000 songs (or whatever) on a Ipod. If CD format worked in a Ipod you could probably only fit 200 CD songs on the same Ipod that holds 1,000 MP3 songs.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 02-05-2008 at 09:01 PM.

98 Z28 M6

I had the same question and i found the answer on ls1tech.com if you have an account look it up there is a huge write up on it but this should help.

"Contrary to what some stereo shops will try to tell you, it is easy to replace the Monsoon head unit. Since it is just an ordinary Delco radio, replacement is the same as for any standard GM product. You will need a mounting kit to fit an aftermarket single DIN head unit in the 1.5 DIN opening. There are some 1.5 DIN aftermarket HUs available that would not need a mounting kit but they aren't very common. Although not strictly necessary, you should get a wiring harness adapter kit so that you can connect your aftermarket HU without having to cut the factory wiring harness. Finally, you will need an antenna adapter to fit the small GM antenna plug into the standard Motorola antenna port on your new HU. With these parts it is a simple matter to install your new HU and connect it to the factory wiring. Depending on the head unit you install, you should notice an improvement in sound over stock because of the reduced distortion. The difference won't be dramatic but it will be noticeable and you will be able to use higher volume levels than the stock setup without the sound becoming horribly distorted.

Replacing the factory HU doesn't necessarily mean losing the use of your steering wheel controls. PAC (Pacific Accessories Corp.) makes a series of adapters that allow you to use the steering wheel controls with popular models of aftermarket radios. There are models designed to work with specific brands and a universal model (SWI-X) that will work with most radios that have infrared remote controls."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information