New guy...several questions.

Hey guys... new guy around here. I have a 2002 Trans Am on the way. Not interested in modding it just yet, so I am gonna work on the stereo first. With the new car, I am pretty sure I want to piece a new system together. I will have to probably do the system in stages. I was wondering the order I should go about this? Just start in the front and make my way towards the back of the car? Headunit, front speakers, rear.. so on and so forth....

In my current vehicle I have two 12 inch Rockford Fosgate Punch HE's in a box with a 760W Pioneer GM-X862 amp (found this several years ago in my garage, friend of my dad's had no use for them). I am not that big of an audiophile, are these decent or pieces of crap? Really couldnt find any reviews on the amp as I think it is an older amp. Should I continue to roll with them or replace them as well?

Assuming I keep the 12s, would a t-top box be my best option? Or are 12s really too much for the car?

I could see sinking maybe 1000-1500 into this project, will I be in the ballpark of something with crisp sound with subs that hit nicely? Suggestions are more than welcome. In the meantime, gonna do some research on this....

Thanks in advance!!

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

You may want to consider 10" subs. Since the interrior of our cars are so cramped a pair of 12's and a box big enough for them to work their best in may be a tight fit. A T-top box would use up all your extra space in the back of the car that could be used for mounting an amp (or amps) and a CD changer. Click my sig to take a look at the setup in my '99 T/A. Be sure to take note of how I mounted the speakers in the doors. If you would like a set of baffles like I used and don't feel you can build them yourself just let me know. I've built several sets for members here and over at F-Body Audio.

As for getting started on your new system I would recommend going with a new HU and some 2-way component speakers first. Since the woofers in the doors are 2 ohms your HU may have problems running them. The industry standard for speaker impedance is 4 ohms. Two ohm speakers will draw twice as much current which will most likely be more than your HU can handle. I have yet to see an HU that can power 2 ohm speakers without going into protection mode and shutting down.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Is the amp a piece of trash though? Should that go as well?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

I'm not a big fan of Pioneer myself. Too many bad experiences with their stuff in the past. If the amp works though go ahead and use it.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I actually take off my t-tops, so my set up had to work around this; also, my car is a daily driver. So...I placed my 10" subs on each side of the t-top holders, as shown below.

Also, stay with 4 ohms as a standard for your mid and high speakers.

Thread Information