White
    2001 SS #3504

Thumbs up New Door speakers installed

Like the title states I just installed a new set of Memphis M class 15-MC620 door speakers in my SS. I am very pleased with the sound quality they have. I am running these w/ the factory Monsoon stereo. Just thought I would throw this out there for anyone looking to replace theirs. Two thumbs up IMO. They were easy to bolt in and they have seperate hook ups for the woofer and tweeter. This setup comes with a crossover but with the Mosoon in mine it was not needed. Just my 2 cents......

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Are they 4ohm? I tried to find the specs on them but was hard to find much. I'm happy with the kappa 62.7i's in my doors now, but it may be a option for me to use them in the sailpanels since I am using 62.7i's now in the sails and could put these in for better bass in the sails. For under $75 shipped they look like they could be a good option if they have better bass. I'm using Memphis audio 10's in the hatch and they are great.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 04-03-2008 at 07:21 PM.

White
    2001 SS #3504

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
    Are they 4ohm? I tried to find the specs on them but was hard to find much. I'm happy with the kappa 62.7i's in my doors now, but it may be a option for me to use them in the sailpanels since I am using 62.7i's now in the sails and could put these in for better bass in the sails. For under $75 shipped they look like they could be a good option if they have better bass. I'm using Memphis audio 10's in the hatch and they are great.
    Hmm to be honest I didn't look at the speaker. It doesn't say on the box Either. But I believe they are 4 ohms. because My buddie that runs the shop said if I hook up another set of twwets up front it would make it a 2 ohm load.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by casperss View Post
    Hmm to be honest I didn't look at the speaker. It doesn't say on the box Either. But I believe they are 4 ohms. because My buddie that runs the shop said if I hook up another set of twwets up front it would make it a 2 ohm load.
    Awesome upgrade -- there are quite a few coaxially mounted components for us Camaro owners who wish to maintain a factory appearance. Infinity, Memphis, Elemental Designs, CDT, to name a few (for the hell of it).

Anyways -- your buddy may not know what he's doing.

1) Why would you want another pair of tweeters?

2) This would not effect the impedance of the mids in the doors, just tweeters.

3) The tweeters are actually 4 ohms from the factory anyway -- the mids in the doors are 2 ohms.

---

Bottom line anyway: If speakers are of higher impedance (4 ohms), the sensitivity (efficiency) of the aftermarket speaker is likely better than OEM, and will sound just as loud. More specifically, try to find speakers of 90dB sensitivity (sometimes called efficiency) or better.

Either way, cutting the impedance in half does not halve the volume. It decreases it (all other variables held constant) by 3dB. 3dB is considered a noticeable chance in volume perceived by the human ear. A difference of 10dB is half/or double the volume perceived.

Thread Information