Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

New Aftermarket HU question

I just came back from Best Buy and Circuit City looking for a new HU.

Wow These people really have no idea about anything.One store says they can install a new HU and my monsoon amp and sytem willl still work,the other store says they have to bypass my amp and run the speakers only.

Surely someone here has installed a new HU and made it work.
    I have always installed my own radios,but never with a premium system in place so right now I am a bit puzzled.

I checked the monsoon diagram for the camaro above in the sticky but I am not sure if it works for my TA system.

Thanks

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

search! you would very quickly find that replacing a HU without rewiring anything is as straight forward as any other install you have done.

The Monsoon amp uses speaker level inputs, so no problems at all with simply replacing the Delco unit.

Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

Hey fred thanks for a quick reply.

What and were should I search for? I have googled and yahoo'ed but to no avail.
    I would hook it up with the kit harness from the store but it has only one harness and my car has two harnesess in the dash.
    I you dont mind helping me get started in the right direction I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

ignore the smaller black harness -- there is an adapter that can be used, but will hurt NOTHING without it (99.9% do not use this adapter)

just go about things as you have before, ignoring anything extra -- and you will be fine

as far as searching - I meant search the forums....not sure what resources are available/how often stuff like this is discussed on this forum tho, so that's probably why you didn't have much success

for car audio, the best forum by far (that is f-body specific) is over on LS1Tech.com -- search there, or read over the "stickies" at the top of the forum there -- that's a good way to get a good overview of the Monsoon system

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

and if you haven't bought the new HU yet (or can return it from BB or CC) -- check out SonicElectronix.com (if a didn't know about them)

Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

Thanks fred, very helpfull info.
    I never bought a HU today because I never could get any str8 info from anyone.
    I will check out that site and their equip.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

be thankful they couldn't answer your questions -- you will save a lot purchasing elsewhere -- there is always ebay (but sonic is cheaper most the time then even) and other sites like bluelagoonusa.com, and onlinecarstereo.com (mods -- it's my understanding I can post sites just not links - remove as necessary though..) etc -- crutchfield.com is always good to go for for more info on products, they just charge too much so I don't buy from them.. very recently new models aren't always available on sonicelectronix right away, so search crutchfield for what you like, then look it up on sonic..........this also works the other way around -- sonic has lots of stuff crutchfield doesnt carry anymore, so browse there as well..

oh yea - you mentioned the diagram in the sticky -- it's similar to yours -- with the following exceptions:
    • your 4 tweeters are powered by your HU
    • your subs are DVC 4 ohm and not SVC 2 ohm
    • you have components in the hatch

there's confusion on what is filtered where so you will read mixed things -- but your tweeters are filtered by a passive in-line filter AT the tweeter locations, and the sail panel "subs" are filtered by the Monsoon amps LPF

Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    be thankful they couldn't answer your questions -- you will save a lot purchasing elsewhere -- there is always ebay (but sonic is cheaper most the time then even) and other sites like bluelagoonusa.com, and onlinecarstereo.com (mods -- it's my understanding I can post sites just not links - remove as necessary though..) etc -- crutchfield.com is always good to go for for more info on products, they just charge too much so I don't buy from them.. very recently new models aren't always available on sonicelectronix right away, so search crutchfield for what you like, then look it up on sonic..........this also works the other way around -- sonic has lots of stuff crutchfield doesnt carry anymore, so browse there as well..

oh yea - you mentioned the diagram in the sticky -- it's similar to yours -- with the following exceptions:
    • your 4 tweeters are powered by your HU
    • your subs are DVC 4 ohm and not SVC 2 ohm
    • you have components in the hatch

there's confusion on what is filtered where so you will read mixed things -- but your tweeters are filtered by a passive in-line filter AT the tweeter locations, and the sail panel "subs" are filtered by the Monsoon amps LPF

My only problem looking online is that I cant get a feel for the radio ,and I am too ignorant about sound systems to know what all the specs meen.
    I guess if i can just use the one harness and get good/good enough sound I will be happy for now.I just need something other than road noise right now.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

you will get better sound with almost any HU -- using both harnesses will not improve sound at all

almost all of the distortion in the factory system that is responsible for blowing speakers (that and cheap build quality) is caused by the factory Delco HU and not the Monsoon amp -- you will notice better SQ

if you are unsure about specs, pick some out and post them if you need advice -- or find one at BB, etc. and find it online then

brands I would look at are: Pioneer, Alpine, Eclipse, and Kenwood -- in no particular order (Pioneer is most popular - can't go wrong, OLDER Alpines are nicer than current models but they remain popular)

as far as specs - most all will be decent if you spend over $100 on sonic's website -- the main things to look for are does it play mp3s (usually yes these days for all), pre out voltages are usually not an issue -- I would stay at 3V or above, RMS output per channel is usually between 18 and 22wRMS.....not too dramatic, but the higher the better -- # of pre amp outputs is important depending on future additions to your system............not really a whole lot else -- if you have an ipod, some of the Alpines are good with that (you might have to buy separate equipment to get ipod to work if the HU isn't ready for it)...... the other stuff (like equalizer options) is harder to tell online though, but usually sufficient enough for most people on most HUs

sorry for the jumbled mess of words - but I'm out for the night so hopefully others will see any additional questions you have - I'll check back in the morning

Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

I think you have got me on the right track.

I will go look at them tomm and pick one out then research it a little online and make sure all is well.
    Thanks Again

Thread Information