Erik

Question Need Help with my window

For some unknown reason my left side window does not go up. The left side goes up/down with no problem. about a week ago my left side window started to go up less,and less but now nothing at all. Has this ever happened to ANYONE? IF SO PLEASE HELP.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

the power window motor has probably went bad.

Black
    99 Z28

They do that a lot, just a new motor should fix you up.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Welcome to the world of F-body window motor failure. I have had my car about 8-9 months and my drivers side went out twice already. My passenger will be going before 2 much longer. There a bitch to change.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Most common repair for f-body owners.

You can do it yourself for about fifty bucks a motor. Good luck, ha ha!! Or you can have GM rape you for a crap more! The best inbetween alternative, is to buy the motors and take them to a place like Goodyear for about $150-200 bucks labor to replace and install. I was lucky and have a friend whos nephew, who is a mechanic, and did it for about $100 a door including the motors. After doing it, he was cussing me out all day . Said he would never do it again, lol. But at least I got my windows back.

Rob

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I just replaced my driver's side about a month ago. I got the motor from Advance Auto for $59 total with lifetime warranty. Takes about an hour or two to install depending on your skill and speed.

Black
    99 Z28

Here ya go: THIS PAGE is all you need to know about R&Ring your window motor.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. I've gotta do mine too. effing pieces of ess!!!!!

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Big heavy window and pissy little motor means a lot of motor changes, ,and . We are by those damn things.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by graphicsgod
    Most common repair for f-body owners.

You can do it yourself for about fifty bucks a motor. Good luck, ha ha!! Or you can have GM rape you for a crap more! The best inbetween alternative, is to buy the motors and take them to a place like Goodyear for about $150-200 bucks labor to replace and install. I was lucky and have a friend whos nephew, who is a mechanic, and did it for about $100 a door including the motors. After doing it, he was cussing me out all day . Said he would never do it again, lol. But at least I got my windows back.

Rob
    They're not that bad to replace. I did mine and I not very experienced with do it yourself car repair. All you need is a power drill, a screwdriver and a couple hours to muddle thru it. It's odd that your passenger side went out before the driver side.

Red
    96' Camaro SS M6

Im having the same problem but my friend told me that it was happening to him too and he said he changed the switches only and not the motor and now it works fine.
    Where do you guys get the motors for so cheap. Everywhere i look they want $150 for a new one. 75 for a used one, but the teeth to those might go out any minute.

Red
    1991 Camaro RS

i had the EXACT same thing happen to me about a week ago

i was over at the drag track and it died. then some stupid ass tech said it be ok if i blocked off my window with cardboard because you have to have windows to race. turned out he was wrong
    so fuckin embarrasing.

so i had to take the motor and everything out and rig it so itd stay up

ive found them for around 30 dollars on ebay. im replacing both sides too. so tell me how it goes.

good luck

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroskater1028
    Im having the same problem but my friend told me that it was happening to him too and he said he changed the switches only and not the motor and now it works fine.
    Where do you guys get the motors for so cheap. Everywhere i look they want $150 for a new one. 75 for a used one, but the teeth to those might go out any minute.
    Auto zone has them for about $75 a piece. They're re-furbished, not quite the same as used. Basically they just reuse the metal core. There's a new motor (and I would assume gears as well.) You get a rebate when you turn your old motors in (so someone else can buy re-furbished.) It's not like they're scavenging the dump on their days off and selling them to you. (Ebay people might be doing that though).

Erik
    Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions. I'll let you guys know the details when im threw with this so common problem,and to think i had no idea that this had happened to so many people.THANKS

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Erik
    Hey guy's i finially got my window fixed. I took my z/28 down to East L.A.,and for 75$ they opened the door pannel replaced the internal motor parts and reinstaled it. The whole proccess took the guy about 15 to 20 tweenty minites.They told me that the motor had already bin replaced at least once.

Red
    96' Camaro SS M6

What part in LA, if you could give me the address it would be very appreciated cuz i heard it was a bitch to replace.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    Hey guy's i finially got my window fixed. I took my z/28 down to East L.A.,and for 75$ they opened the door pannel replaced the internal motor parts and reinstaled it. The whole proccess took the guy about 15 to 20 tweenty minites.They told me that the motor had already bin replaced at least once.
    Yeah your car will burn through a motor every 2 to 3 years depending on how often you use the windows. Very, very common Fbody problem. That's an awesome price to have the motor installed. Sounds like they didn't charge for any labor.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroskater1028
    ...cuz i heard it was a bitch to replace.
    The hardest part of the process is drilling the panel in the right places to get to the three rivets that hold the motor in place, then drilling out the rivets. (Which really isn't hard to do.) Once that's done, if you ever have to replace it again, which many have had to do, it cuts the time in half.

NBM
    99 TA

i replaced mine a couple years ago, just followed the walk thru, not sure why people are saying its hard? it was very easy, just be careful not to get fiberglass splinters in your arms, because that part did suck
    good luck

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

FYI everyone doing this fix:

The best motors to buy (and what most are using) are the Siemens Window Lift Motors from AutoZone at $54.99/ea. Same P/N for both sides and they have a Lifetime Warranty.

These motors are much better than the stock motors.

Both my stockers went to hell before my car even hit 30K miles

Thread Information