2000 Camaro z28

Need Help Choosing Sound System!!!

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my stock sound system in my 2000 Camaro z28. I believe it has the 6-speaker Monsoon system currently. I am on a really cheap budget, and I don't know much about stereo's.

My plans are to upgrade my head unit, and get after market speakers. Eventually I would want to get an amp and a 10" sub with the custom box that fits in the back, but for now, just the head unit and speakers.

Heres what I was thinking of getting in 4", 6.5" and 4"x6"

And here's the head unit

I'm doing the work myself, and I wasn't planning on running new wires. My goal is to have decent bass and good quality sound. Will this setup improve my system much? Any input would help! Thanks!
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 07-27-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

you might want to consider a better head unit. That one only has 2.2 volt pre outs. when you eventually get an amp and a sub you will be better off with a head unit that has 4 volt or better pre outs. Many pioneer head units will fall in a similar price range but have higher voltage pre outs.

Where were you planning on installing those "bass inferno" speakers. None of the speakers in your car are 4 inch. You have 6 1/2 inch coaxial speakers in the front, 6 1/2 inch 4 ohm single voice coil woofers in the sail panels by the rear seats and 5 1/4 inch speakers with tweeters in the hatch.

There are many high quality brands that sell coaxial speakers in the 6 1/2 inch range. In my saturn I installed coaxials in all 4 locations. I think i spent like 120 on the whole set of 4 speakers. They sound incredible. I have pioneer premier systems in both my cars.

2000 Camaro z28

First off, thanks for the help! I never took off my door panels to see what size the speakers were, I thought they were 4"s. And the ones all the way in the rear, I was going to cut out the plastic so a 4x6 could fit back there since my system doesn't have the tweeters. As for the 6.5s, I would put them in the sail panels. What speaker set up do you recommend for good bass without the woofer? I couldn't find any reviews on the bass inferno ones, but they claim to have amazing bass.

Bright Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Rockford

I don't think I would make any cuts to the panels to accomodate speakers because it would be too expensive to put it back to stock. I like to Rockford T1652 6.5" speakers for the doors and sail panels. They have a MSRP of 159.00 and can be found on line for as low as 85.00. Killer deal and a great speaker. I like Eclipse CD 5030 because it has a great bluetooth phone with a separate mic. You can also use your Ipod's bluetooth to listen to music. It has its own powerful amp with 5v preamps when you're ready to add amps and sub. Its on amazon for around 289.00

Silver
    2002 Camaro Z28

I actually installed those tonight. They sound great. Just utilize the stock harness so you can remove them with ease. No wire running required.

I dont know about using them for the sails. Those positions are ment to be for subs.

Gold
    1999 camaro z28

actually i thought with the monsoon u have to get everything taking out at once to get other stuff put in thats what the best buy people and other stores said

2000 Camaro z28

I got tired of doing so much research lol. I just bought some cheap speakers off ebay, and the pioneer deh-3200ub head unit and called it even. I got lanzar 6.5 subs for the sails, and pyle speakers in the doors and back. Nothing special, but it's a lot better than the stock system.

Thanks for all the help.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

What a waste of time and money, but to each their own.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rappin_ernie View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my stock sound system in my 2000 Camaro z28. I believe it has the 6-speaker Monsoon system currently. I am on a really cheap budget, and I don't know much about stereo's.

My plans are to upgrade my head unit, and get after market speakers. Eventually I would want to get an amp and a 10" sub with the custom box that fits in the back, but for now, just the head unit and speakers.

Heres what I was thinking of getting in 4", 6.5" and 4"x6"

And here's the head unit

I'm doing the work myself, and I wasn't planning on running new wires. My goal is to have decent bass and good quality sound. Will this setup improve my system much? Any input would help! Thanks!
    We do not allow non sponsor links in threads FYI. I removed the links from your post..

2000 Camaro z28

I actually agree dude. I just bought the car this summer and I was really excited to make it my own. So a side from other things, I just wanted a decent sound system that I can actually hear, but looking back, I should have just put the money into the motor or suspension.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Yeah... my system probably has close to the equivalent of a rear end in it... and i'm still not totally satisfied. but it does sound great! Just not exactly what i want yet.

Impounded
    Memphis M-Class 6.75" Oversized for door and backseat speakers...dont even worry about the two in the hatch. then go to subthump and get the 12" sub box that hides it in the rear cubby and get 12" MTX with a 600 watt kenwood amp hid in the spare tire compartment with the compasitor hid there as well.
    Dynomat the hell out of your hatch compartment. rip everything out first and lay dynomat everywhere!!!!!!!!

2000 Camaro z28

Does the dynamat really make a big difference? I was thinkin about doin that.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

It does, if you don't care about racing and adding weight...do it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

who wants to dynamat my car? i'm too lazy to tear everything out to do that stuff.....

Although i got a nice pat on the back today. Some dude spent 320,000 dollars tricking out his 2010 camaro. he put the same speakers and amps as me I assure you they don't cost anywhere near that. They just happen to be excellent bang for the buck

Impounded
    Dynomat makes a hell of a difference. Keeps the sound in and rattle down. I can always tell wen someone has it or doesnt. But youll have to bolt everything down everoncein a while. And dr. Dashboard or Best buy or some audio install play will do it and charge by the hour----

Thread Information