Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

MP3 Player

This is a discussion on MP3 Player within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by sidonsbones Any of them with a Aux input such as 90% of the Kenwoods will work with ...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by sidonsbones
    Any of them with a Aux input such as 90% of the Kenwoods will work with an external MP3 player. You just need to run a cord and enable the AUX input. It was initially designed for a DVD player to be added, but it works fine with a MP3 player.

The Pioneers (new) have a jack in the face of them that allow you to plug in directly. You just have to have a male to male wire. It's under the lip so you have to look for it.

I have two different brands of the modulators they are talking about, but I only use them in rental cars, and work vehicles without a CD player etc. They are fine for that, but the sound quality isn't too great.
    Good to know.

For the price, every new Headunit over $100 should come with the AUX input for MP3 players. It just makes too much sense to include it, can't imagine it costs the manufacturer much more to add anyway.

Red
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bjoneill98
    Hey .. this is what you need hands down. I bought this IPOD interface about a month ago and it has been working great. I tried the FM modulator and was very disappointed with the loss of sound quality. Basically, if you have the monsoon system with the factory 12 CD changer, this component hooks up directly in the back of the head unit and gives CD quality. It's well worth the money.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aVZ9LkJ...display=XL#Tab
    I just installed mine about a week or two ago and I'm happy with the results. A damaged wire is being replaced by the good folks at crutchfield as we speak but from what I could tell this is one of the better options out there if you wish to keep your stock radio. However I can notice that it isnt quite as good as CD Quality. Its pretty good but doesnt have the clarity of CDs (well take that with a grain of salt, it is coming from a monsoon :P)

I found something kinda cool that I wish I had tried instead of the USASpec ipod converter. Something you might want to look into are bluetooth Ipod converters. If you plan on getting an aftermarket radio and it has bluetooth you should consider the Bluna Ipod adapter. From what I gather, bluetooth converter sound quality should be just as good as wired converters (cant attest to this though).

The Naviplay is another bluetooth solution but it looks like you'll need a way to convert a headphone jack to the monsoon. I suppose if I find one of these for really cheap I could hook it up to my USASpec unit seeing as how it has rca inputs. Wont be able to control the ipod through the stereo but then again you wont have the hassle of a wire.

Heres some pics of my Ipod/USASpec install.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

damn!!! Ipod bluetooth?? I heard rumors that the next generation will be bluetooth...

battery life will suck then...

which means that if you want to hook the ipod up in your car that you'll need a charging cable... and at that point, why not just use the $50 ipod interface/charger for the car??

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Will the USA Spec work with the monsoon with the indash cd player and the cd/aux button? This is on a 99 Z and I keep getting conflicting info.

Thanks

Red
    2002 Trans Am

If the monsoon for the z is similar to the monsoon in the ta (heard they were slightly diff, not sure) then the cd/aux button is what you use to switch over to the ipod. kinda like how its used now to switch between your in dash cd and the cds in the disc changer in the back. If your car didnt come with a cd changer then look on the back of the radio and see if it has the aux plug for the changer. If it does, I dont see why it wouldnt work.

You'll lose the cd changer by using the usa spec but the ipod should be better anyways. the confusing thing to me is that the usa spec has a plug that the cd changer plugs into and at first i had this plugged in. The cd's in the changer loaded up right away and the ipod was playing on top of that music. I was forced to just leave it unplugged because the monsoon doesnt have a pause button, unless I'm retarded and have glanced over it for the past few years. I guess you could just leave the cd changer empty so you always have the option to run which ever one you wanted but I'm considering getting a stealth box so I can use my ttop holders again so I just left mine unplugged.

*edit* One thing you might consider though is that the plug on the usa spec unit isnt the greatest when it comes to quality. My first one broke, the casing just split apart im guessing due to the heat and vibrations of where I had it mounted. It got replaced under warranty but still, a bit of the hastle.
    Last edited by dementia; 06-22-2006 at 10:42 PM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

how on earth do you know what song you're going to be playing with that ipod interface???

with mine, I see the names on the screen and can navigate... does this interface for the stock radio allow you to control the ipod via the ipod itself?

Red
    2002 Trans Am

Yea theres 2 modes you can set it to. One of the modes lets you use the ipod to pick an artist or genre or whatever using the actual ipod controls. The 2nd mode uses the playlists as if they were mix cd's in a cd changer. Both modes let you use radio/steering wheel controls to change tracks, power on/off, and fast forward/rewind and such.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I kinda like having my ipod stored in the locked glovebox and viewing the info on my headunit... but navigation is horrible... actually, navigation is downright horrible on the ipod itself. Why can't you just have all your albums in folders... I can't stand when I go to 'Album' mode and it doesn't show the artists... then song mode is the same way... big pain to find anything...

there should be a search where you spell out part of the name and you get results on the fly... like searching in itunes...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information