Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

Monsoon Volume problem

When I first touch the volume control knob and turn it counterclockwise in my 2002 WS6, for some reason the volume goes up at first (slightly), and then down like it is supposed to??- EXTREMELY WIERD. Any help would be appreciated.

J.R.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Once again the POS Monsoon system proves how un-reliable it is. Next thing you know the lights will start to fail, or your display will go haywire or it will refuse to play CDs or etc. etc. It's either time to replace it or go with a much higher quality after-market HU.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

When I still had my Monsoon HU it had a feature that made the volume go up when you accelerated and went down when you slowed up. Maybe that's what your talking about...

red
    2002 Trans Am WS6

either that or just get one off the for sale listings, sorry, I like the steering wheel controls better than having em there and not being able to use it, you can pic one up for bout 50 bucks

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

Monsoon problem

Mike

I know what feature you are talking about as far as the acceleration and braking. I had that same feature on my 98 Z28 (I forget what that is called), but that's no what Im talking about. Thanks for the help anyway.
    My steering wheel controls work fine as far as turning the volume up and down, its just the damn volume-knob on the deck that's acting funny.

J.R.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    I had that same feature on my 98 Z28 (I forget what that is called), but that's no what Im talking about. Thanks for the help anyway.
    My steering wheel controls work fine as far as turning the volume up and down, its just the damn volume-knob on the deck that's acting funny.
    That would be the SCV (Speed Controlled Volume) also known by another name but it slips my mind at the moment.

If the radio just used an analog volume pot it would be an easy DIY fix. Since it's a digital encoder it's not as easy to fix. It may be the actual volume control or it could be the logic circuitry that goes along with it that has gone bad.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    When I first touch the volume control knob and turn it counterclockwise in my 2002 WS6, for some reason the volume goes up at first (slightly), and then down like it is supposed to??- EXTREMELY WIERD. Any help would be appreciated.

J.R.
    i have the same problem, so ur not the only one, i just got my 02 wS6 and when i go to turn it down it turns up suddendly and goes down as it should, i was just about to ask about that, maybe its just a fluke or something..

there might be moisture inside the HU, if you are comfortable taking the unit apart and spraying down the HU with a good contact cleaner near the controls it may fix your problem while spinning the nob both places

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Ws6 Love View Post
    i have the same problem, so ur not the only one, i just got my 02 wS6 and when i go to turn it down it turns up suddendly and goes down as it should, i was just about to ask about that, maybe its just a fluke or something..
    Nope, not a fluke my 2000 TA does that, too.

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Mine too, son of a #@^%$@!!!!

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

Monsoon volume prob

Sounds like alot of people have this problem, lucky for me I purchased a extended 5 year warranty, instead of the standard 3 year warranty, so I will be taking it in to the dealer for a free-fix.

J,.R

Mine too! Its only annoying when some bitch next to me touches my dial and tries to turn the sound down. Boy does that backfire on them!

For the record, mine is real bad! I just use the steering controls. Hey, my sterring control lights have gone off...how the FUCK do you replace those lights??
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal View Post
    That would be the SCV (Speed Controlled Volume) also known by another name but it slips my mind at the moment.

If the radio just used an analog volume pot it would be an easy DIY fix. Since it's a digital encoder it's not as easy to fix. It may be the actual volume control or it could be the logic circuitry that goes along with it that has gone bad.
    my thoughts exactly

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Search, there is a great how-to thread, probably in the stereo section archive. Worked for me.

Blue/Yellow/White
    95 T/A 383

The system in my '95 actually does the same thing you people are speaking of, at random times. Also it refuses to play CD's with both sides of the speakers, it will only play CD's with one side (right side speakers) and it will play the radio with both.

The solution? Buy a new system, lol. Mine is old as hell so I guess this shit is to be expected.

RED
    2001 PONTIAC TA RAM AIR

my 2001 ws6 also has the same problem. i just lower or increae the volume from the steering wheel instead of the knob.

forest green
    1994 Firehawk

monsoon

does it do the same when you use the steering wheel controls also. If not the volume knob is a variable resistor. Once it's turned if it has anytype of contamination like dust it will do that. take it out and get a can of compressed air, do not blow in it because the moisture will come out of your mouth. so get the can and blow into it. that should help. if not take off your volume know and try to see if there is some dirt stuck in it.

Sebring Silver
    1998 Z28

I had the same problem w/ my wife's stereo in her grand am. I removed the potentiometer and measured the resistance and it was fine at one spot, but as soon as you turned it down it went to zero. I replaced it w/ a new knob out of a donor head unit and that fixed it. Definitely clean it out, but if that doesn't work you may have to replace the knob or just use the steering wheel controls from now on.

Thread Information