Monsoon Understanding

This is a discussion on Monsoon Understanding within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; I bought my car with all this jacked up wiring for the aftermaket speakers in the doors and side panels. ...

Monterey Maroon Metallic
    2002 Z28

Monsoon Understanding

I bought my car with all this jacked up wiring for the aftermaket speakers in the doors and side panels. Am I supposed to have tweeters somewhere? My hatch speakers won't even play, and I have tested them so I know they work. My side panel speakers only have low frequencies coming out of them. I have pulled the car apart to trace down all the wiring but I can't find any wires cut or broken. can someone please point me in the direction that i need to go in fixing my problem.... Many thanks, TJ

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

The front door speakers have a seperate tweeter mounted coaxially I think. The rears usually have low only and the hatch should be full range.

Monterey Maroon Metallic
    2002 Z28

do you know what might keep the hatch speakers from working? i read somewhere on the net that you need to buy a certain type of speaker to replace the stock ones and that they wont work properly if the replacement speakers arent wired right???

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

ok...the front door have full range seperates--61/2 drivers with seperate tweeters just above. The 'sails' by the back seats have 61/2 'woofers'--they only play low frequencies so that is working correctly. The hatch speakers are also seperates; midrange and tweeter, playing full range like the front. If everything is working but the rears, it is possible the previous owner had an aftermarket amp on them and did not reconnect them to the factory amp before selling. Look for leads back there that have been cut. This is odd however; that would be the last set of speakers i amped. When i did mine, i didn't even use the hatch speakers. had 2 12s, co-ax's in the sails, and compontents in the front doors. if you just want to restore stock sound and everthing else if playing properly, my suggestion is to double check the speaker leads from the monsoon amp to the hatch speakers; assuming they work fine when powered/tested.

Monterey Maroon Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    ok...the front door have full range seperates--61/2 drivers with seperate tweeters just above. The 'sails' by the back seats have 61/2 'woofers'--they only play low frequencies so that is working correctly. The hatch speakers are also seperates; midrange and tweeter, playing full range like the front. If everything is working but the rears, it is possible the previous owner had an aftermarket amp on them and did not reconnect them to the factory amp before selling. Look for leads back there that have been cut. This is odd however; that would be the last set of speakers i amped. When i did mine, i didn't even use the hatch speakers. had 2 12s, co-ax's in the sails, and compontents in the front doors. if you just want to restore stock sound and everthing else if playing properly, my suggestion is to double check the speaker leads from the monsoon amp to the hatch speakers; assuming they work fine when powered/tested.
    i took it back apart yesterday to be sure that i had all the wires intact there are no tweets in the sails just the 4" , i do however have an extra set of wires in the doors. the car had subs in it when i bought it but i installed them and the sail speakers werent working then. part of the deal of me buying the car was to put the alpine head unit, subs and amp in his other car. i'm just trying to get everything working until i can afford to put a set of subs back in the car....thanks, TJ

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Quote Originally Posted by nvusone View Post
    i took it back apart yesterday to be sure that i had all the wires intact there are no tweets in the sails just the 4" , i do however have an extra set of wires in the doors. the car had subs in it when i bought it but i installed them and the sail speakers werent working then. part of the deal of me buying the car was to put the alpine head unit, subs and amp in his other car. i'm just trying to get everything working until i can afford to put a set of subs back in the car....thanks, TJ
    ok..to clear confusion... the sails should be 61/2's. They are the speakers rights by the back seats--you can touch them right beside you while sitting in the back seat--they shouldn't have tweeters--they are the stock monsoon 'subs'. they only play low frequency bass. If you know the person you bought it from, you need to talk to them about what they modified. I pity the person that bought mine--i didn't use 1 piece of stock wiring/speaker. When i took my stuff out to trade i left a pair of spair aftermarket coaxials (that were originally seperates stock) in the doors (so also an extra set of wires that would have gone to tweeters) and one tweeter playing back in the hatch. So, I could help that person a lot in getting everything to play right, but will be pretty difficult for them to figure out. Find out what the person did to your car. Or start from scratch with your own system

Thread Information