Red1992V6Rs

Monsoon in Thirdgen

What do I need to put a Monsoon in a 92 Camaro? I know Monsoon's don't have the BEST reputation, but I am looking for a stock look. I am going to replace my stock speakers but do i need Monsoon Speakers? My car is also a 92, which means I wont need a different harness right? Any information would be great.

Black
    99 Z28

Not worth it, someone just had a post about this a few days ago. Seriously, there's absolutely no point in putting that much work into it. You can keep your stock look by using a stock radio and some better amps and speakers in the car.

Red1992V6Rs
    Yes, I know that keeping the stock radio/cassette and adding better speakers/amps would be better, but I would really like a CD player being that where I am going to college has no good radio stations. And I don't feel like buying cassettes for $10 when I can burn CDs. I have heard that the swap isnt that hard, I would just like it to work the first time.

Black
    99 Z28

You can put pretty much any 1.5 DIN GM deck (not absolutely any, but most) into your car. The wiring harness is about the same, should plug right up.

If you're wanting to put the entire monsoon system in, that would be kind of a joke.

Red1992V6Rs
    Yea, I am def. not going to get the Monsoon speakers because it seems that they crap out on just about everybody.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

The reason the Monsoon speakers are blowing all the time is because of all the distortion produced by the HU and amp combination. The HU clips it's output at moderate output levels. That distorted signal then gets sent to the amp which has speaker level inputs. Then the amp adds it's own distortion on top of that. That's why it is no wonder that the factory speakers are blowing all the time. There are 2 things you can do to reduce the risk of this happening. First is to ease up on the volume control. I hooked my factory HU to my O-scope and played a calibrated test disc thru it. At only 23 clicks of the volume control the output began to clip. The higher I turned up the HU the worse the clipping got. The second thing you can do is to back off the bass controls of the EQ.

For me, high quality sound reproduction is FAR more important than how the HU in the dash looks. Thats why I always recommend upgrading to an all after-market setup. And since I'm using a custom trim panel (thanks Mike) I don't have any real issue with the way the HU looks.

The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

In yo' hood up to no good

1 of 122 Blk A4 WS6 Verts
    1999 T/A WS6 Vert A4

Ok, try to follow me! lol...

Be sure to use a Chevy Delco Radio to keep the same backlight color, Ponitac used red backlight so you don't want a radio from a Firebird. GM offered an optional CD player in the later Thirdgen Camaro. The issue you have is owning a 92 Camaro, you have the yellow gauge lettering. Consider one from 90, 91 or 92 when the years when yellow lettering was used. Also consider the Fourth Gen 1993 Camaro which carried over the yellow lettering (they went back to white lettering in 94). It's tough to find a CD player with yellow lettering but they are around if you look. Check your local junk yards, Ebay, www.car-parts.com or the classifieds on the Thirdgen sites.

Moo cow f**k milk Demon_Speeding's Avatar

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Red1992V6Rs
    thanks for all the information guys. I did find out that 1993 was the only year for the yellow faced lettering, but in all honesty the lettering isnt the biggest thing on my mind, its just that it seems as if every HU out there seems to be all different colors with a million different options/modes. All i need is a plain, stock looking cd player.

Moo cow f**k milk Demon_Speeding's Avatar

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

IMO a late model Delco would be your best bet...like the Monsoon, but it doesn't have to be Monsoon. If I'm not mistaken since the amp is external then there is little to no difference in the head units. If I'm right on this you might be able to save a little coin getting a "standard" style HU.

Thread Information