Bright Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Monsoon system w/ aftermarket head unit?

I have a '98 Camaro with the factory Monsoon system and 12-disk changer. The changer is broken and the factory radio looks shitty (missing a button, half of it doesn't light up, etc) so I want to replace it with an Alpine or Pioneer or whatever. Something basic that can play mp3 cd's.

I did a search, and read a bunch of stuff on here, but I don't know anything about sound systems so most of it is jibberish to me. The stock stereo setup sounds good enough for me, and at this time I can't afford to upgrade all my speakers. If I replace only the head unit and not the speakers, will it make the speakers sound like shit?

My Grand Prix I used to have had a Bose system where some of the speakers produces a bass-only signal and some of them are powered by the amp and some of them are powered by the head unit, etc.....which seems similar to the Monsoon setup in an f-body. The factory setup sounded great, but I replaced the stock radio with an aftermarket unit and it made the speakers sound horrible. I tried to figure out what the problem was but it was all confusing to me.

Cliff notes...I have a stock Monsoon system. If I replace the factory head unit with an aftermarket one, will it sound worse? Thanks in advance

SIlver
    2000 Z28 Camaro convertib

This is my first post. But I will try to reply. I just replaced my factory Mosoon Head unit. I replaced it with an Alpine IDA X100. This is an IPOD interface head unit (No CD player). I connected it to the monsoon amp using a cable I got from Crutchfield. I soldered and heatshrunk all my connections. The whole job took about 2 hours? its very easy.

Too my surprise the Monsoon system (Amp and Speakers) came alive. I was very impressed with how much difference it made just replacing the head unit.

Eventually, I will replace the factory Monsoon speakers. I pulled a door panel to take a look at one. I was shocked. I was amazed at how good they could sound for what the are (Crap). I have a convertible Z28 So my mission is to get the best sounding well balanced system I can. Im a Geezer so I don't need a pair of 10's and 1000 watts. Just a way to get four decent sounding drivers and a alternate solution to the sail panels speakers. I may do a back seat delete.

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

If you change the head unit, changing the speakers it a MUST! Mostly because the level of resistance. Most car stock systems uses an 8ohm load, while aftermarket uses the more efficient 4ohm load. So your aftermarket stereo is not really built to drive those 8ohms stock speakers. So when you change them, make sure you change the speakers as well.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

You will be fine changing it. Half of the speakers run off the monsoon amp and the others run off the headunit. Just use an adaptor harness. You will also need one for the antenna.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
    If you change the head unit, changing the speakers it a MUST! Mostly because the level of resistance. Most car stock systems uses an 8ohm load, while aftermarket uses the more efficient 4ohm load. So your aftermarket stereo is not really built to drive those 8ohms stock speakers. So when you change them, make sure you change the speakers as well.
    The monsoon speakers are rated at 2 ohm and are very efficient, I just replaced mine with infinity 62.7i they sound great

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

As stated, no need to replace speakers if you are happy with them. If there is a harness available from crutchfield, as stated above, install should be simple and sound good. I just replaced a head unit with a harness from crutchfield and it was capable of integrating all the features of the stock radio--factory amps, subs, even variable speed volume... I ended up using none of that; but was impressed with the harness.

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

can you still use the wheel controls with that set up? I kinda like the monsoon. Can we upgrade with a modern monsoon?

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

yes adapters are available to retain the steering wheel controls

Sport Gold Metallic
    98 z28...sold

Quote Originally Posted by skew View Post
    This is my first post. But I will try to reply. I just replaced my factory Mosoon Head unit. I replaced it with an Alpine IDA X100. This is an IPOD interface head unit (No CD player). I connected it to the monsoon amp using a cable I got from Crutchfield. I soldered and heatshrunk all my connections. The whole job took about 2 hours? its very easy.

Too my surprise the Monsoon system (Amp and Speakers) came alive. I was very impressed with how much difference it made just replacing the head unit.

Eventually, I will replace the factory Monsoon speakers. I pulled a door panel to take a look at one. I was shocked. I was amazed at how good they could sound for what the are (Crap). I have a convertible Z28 So my mission is to get the best sounding well balanced system I can. Im a Geezer so I don't need a pair of 10's and 1000 watts. Just a way to get four decent sounding drivers and a alternate solution to the sail panels speakers. I may do a back seat delete.
    Hey man, what is this cable your talking about that you got from crutchfield to be able to use the factory system. I was at the site but only found what seemed to be the regular harness kit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_103000/...s.html?tp=2977

SIlver
    2000 Z28 Camaro convertib

Yes its just a stock GM harness interface cable. The Mosoon is just a factory radio with four speaker outs. That in turn goes to the Monsoon amp witch does a mix of amping and Xover functions. Why GM used this style of amp function is beyond me.

I have since ordered an Alpine 4 channel amp and Infinity speakers. I have not yet figured out what to do with the rear channels. I do have some thoughts on making the fold down back seat into pair of bucket backs with some type of sub mounted in the center. ala 65 impala two door back seat. My son who did custom work in the past for a national shop. Says Im nuts as the cost would be very prohibitive.

I have concluded that in a vert the sails are about as useless as you can get. The problem being that putting speakers in the trunk. is a waste with the top down as there is 20lbs of canvas insulation and glass blocking 95% of any sound that could be achieved.

Thread Information