Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Question monsoon speaker replacement question

got my car in june and already have a blown speaker. What is a really good replacement speaker for the doors on a 02 ss?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

I used Infinity 62.7i 's for the door replacements on a 99 Z28 and I was very satisifed with the results. One of the few replacement speakers that was both the correct size AND same impedence.

Here is a link to a good thread about 'em:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29204

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

do they just plug in and how much are they?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    do they just plug in and how much are they?
    On eBay, they go for less than $100 (including the shipping costs). One example below:

250039532274 (copy that number, go to eBay and search it as an item #)

You will have to splice on the OEM wires, with the supplied terminals from Infinity. You will NOT use the aftermarket crossovers that come with the speakers. The OEM system already has this and all you will need to do is splice on the wires to the new speakers (the aftermarket crossovers are pretty big so it's a good thing).

The tweeters adjust, and I set mine at the highest level and aimed them for best sound.

I'm not sure about your year model, but on a '99 do NOT take the speaker grills off the door panels. They are "melted" on from the factory and you can easily damage them. It doesn't help to take them off because the entire door panel has to be removed to do the install. Trust me.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

thanks yea I know how to get in the door and everything, but I think I'll try to find a set on ebay. I saw some that were similar to factory ones and they guaranteed they won't blow on the factory head unit.

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

anything other than Monsoon.

blue
    99 SS RAGTOP M6

Door Speaker

I replaced the speakers in my SS vert because one was blown. If you want the good one for $20 plus shipping, it's yours. You can use PAYPAL to pay for it. Contact me at: atroche@cox.net

Pewter
    '02 WS6

I keep hearing stuff about the Infinity 62.7i 's. I just blew out my driver side back seat speaker (sail panel speaker I think), and I just wanted to clarify some stuff. I thought they were 6" not 6 1/2"? Also, I want to compare a whole lot of speakers, so I think what I'm looking for is a 6 1/2" 2-way midrange speaker? Do they have to be 4 ohm or what? I just want to get sound close to the monsoon, but better. Also, how deep can they be and what wattage (rms or max or both) are the factory speakers? If anyone has some info, a list of speakers, or a site that has some good options, that would be awesome. I saw the factory speaker costs $43, so I don't wanna spend much more than that per speaker. Any help is greatly appreciated, cuz while my speaker's out, it sounds like CRAP!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I have also replaced the door speakers with the Infinity 62.7i , they couldn't be easier to install as they bolt right in. I replaced the driver's side last January and waited on the passenger one until recently when that one blew out also. I'm thinking they will have the same life span , when one side blows the other will follow shortly after so buying the guys "extra" speaker would probably be a waste. I don't drive as much as some people so I expect the average speaker would probably have about a month or two before it blows like the other side. The Infinty's have an excellent sound , as pointed out you can tune the tweeter by rotating it and can point it to fire in whatever direction you desire. The highs almost sparkle and the midrange seems to be an improvement over the stock speaker.
    I realize there are better stereos out there, but I thought I would relate a story here. My friend is a pro musician with a home recording studio. Before he got his big dollar flat response studio speakers, we used to take his just recorded CD's out to the Monsoon and sit out front with it cranked so he could hear it. His idea- as he had heard the Monsoon before. I hear alot of people poo-pooing the Monsoon, but it depends on what sort of tunes you listen to, for rock music-it ain't bad.

Black
    2005 GTO

Shop around I think I got a pair for like $50-60 shipped some sites wanted double for the same speaker some wanted 80-90 just shop around. There great speakers for the price IMO.

Has anyone ever added a small amp to these speakers? I run two 8's in my sailpanel and the bass from those tend to over power my infinitys up front. Even when I have the bass turned down I really have to turn the volume up to hear the infinity's.

Pewter
    '02 WS6

$60 for a pair of those 6 1/2" infinity speakers? Where did you get them?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Without having to look it up again I believe the best price I found was more like around $100 pair.

*Stephanie*

Pewter
    2000 Camaro

I had to replace both of the door speakers aswell. It seems they were easy to blow. :\

Black
    2005 GTO

My apologize fellas I was confused I have the Alpine SPS-170A and I got those for $60. The whole point is shop around I just did a quick search on those Infinitys and the price was $87-$192 shipped thats a big gap all for the same speaker.

Pewter
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    My apologize fellas I was confused I have the Alpine SPS-170A and I got those for $60. The whole point is shop around I just did a quick search on those Infinitys and the price was $87-$192 shipped thats a big gap all for the same speaker.
    Hey, I looked around for those speakers and couldn't find anywhere with that good'a prices. Where did you find the ones for $87 shipped? Really appreciate it.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

will the infinitys fit behind the speaker grills?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

They bolt right in place of the stock ones and no fit problems w/ the door panels or grills.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

ah cool. I had the car for 6 months and my passanger door speaker blew. I have an ipod FM transmitor that gets powered by the cigarette lighter. it's pretty awesome, but the frequency is low so you gotta turn up the stereo just to hear it. I think that's what did it. think it would happen as easy to the infinitys?

Pewter
    '02 WS6

Probably not as easy. Did you change to radio and it blasted real loud? Gotta be careful with that kinda stuff no matter what speakers you got. I've had that problem between FM and CDs a couple times. I know that somtimes if the music gets too loud, the stereo will automatically turn down the volume...kinda pisses me off, but once I get those Infinities I'm thinkin I should be able to turn it up to my liking.
    But to answer your question, it should be harder to bust the Infinities, cuz they should be made with some better quality (tougher) materials.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I'm be putting some MB Quart Reference Series speakers in my doors soon. My passenger side door one is blown.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Thread Information