Black
    2000 Z28

Thumbs up Monsoon replacement speakers

I want to replace my sail and rear speakers. I already replaced the fronts with a pair of Alpines. I had to do some trick rewiring to get them to work correctly but they sound great. Now I need some suggestions as to what to replace my other ones with.
    Thanks.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Did you replace the monsoon hu with a aftermarket one? If so, you could do the same type of setup in the sail panel and not use the rear 4 inch speakers and use the wires for the tweeters. I upgraded the far rear 4 inch speakers to Pioneer 4 inch and can't really hear them any more than stock. Also, the rear is just open under it and there isn't anything to enclose the 4 inch to get any lower freq. The 2 ohm Infinity kappa 62.7i(2 way) and 63.7i(3 way) are a good replacement too since the
    monsoon amp puts out 2ohm and people have claimed great results, with the added benefit of no modification to them, just wire like stock and use the crossover for the tweeters. I did read somewhere that the sail panel mids are freeair and I haven't removed the grill to see what can be done to enclose behind the mid to get better mid bass, so I may be wrong. I did hear from others the Alpines are a good choice too for the fronts, lots have put them in and had great results since they are so efficient. I even seen where someone used a dremel and added a 8 inch subwoofer, but to me it would just be underpowered without a new amp and would rattle too much. I have some crappy 4 ohm power acoustic 6 1/2's and I may just cut the tweeter wires and hook them up in the sail panel to see if they sound any better than stock, can't lose anything since I am not using them for anything else.

Black
    2000 Z28

No, I still have the stock HU and would like to keep it that way so as to remain stock (for looks). I have read that some head units will work with the steering wheel controls so that's an option but not for now.

For your sail panels get these, http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=&pid=32&cur=USD make sure to get the Eu-700 dual voice coil 4ohm speakers. wire them up just like factory and when you replace the head unit they will sound much better

2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    For your sail panels get these, http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=&pid=32&cur=USD make sure to get the Eu-700 dual voice coil 4ohm speakers. wire them up just like factory and when you replace the head unit they will sound much better
    Man, I was just at Elemental Designs and bought some eDead, great company and product. For some reason I didn't see the $50 6.5's dvc or I would have ordered them. Nice find, have you heard any in our cars yet? I already bought the Infinity 62.7i's for the fronts and should be here Wed.

Yea they sound really good over the stock speakers, but I just trial fit them with the stock HU and amp, I'm trying to decide which amp to replace the monsoon one with before I put them back in and will get more bass out of them. If you recall the other forum I talked about the system I'm a stickler for matching rms watts and ohms all around. If you want to get a passive crossover for them I wouldn't worry about underpowering them at all with the stock system since when it clips and sends DV voltage down the line it would stop at the crossover and not make it to the speaker, those can be found at cardomain

2002 Z28

Thats good to hear, I asked around yesterday and someone said they think a guy tried them and they didn't fit good and caused alot of rattling. I couldn't figure out how they couldn't fit since they are 3.5 inches deep and in the same forum I seen a guy fit a JL audio 8w3 in the space(that is pushing it), but it did work and if anything the 8 should cause tons of rattle. Some sound deadening and that should cure that. I thought the eDead from ED was 17 lbs for 20 square feet, but it arrived Monday and was 7 lbs. Which is much better. Trying to keep car light.
    Back to the original post:
    The elemental designs EU-700 dvc at $100 for 2
    The Infinity 62.7i(is 2ohm) and about $90 shipped off ebay, just dont use the tweeter or crossover. Both seem like good options for the sail panel speaker.
    With the ED's, it is a good mid to add a amp later and most likely would not need to upgrade if you added a amp.
    The Infinity 6.5's are 2 ohm so would work great too off the stock amp and rms handling is 1/2 of the ED's,
    so if your going to use the stock amp and really have no plans of future amp upgrades then they would probably be a great choice. Both cost about equal.
    I don't plan on any upgrades to the stock amp, I added my aftermarket HU and will change out all the Monsoon speakers, but will just run them forever off the stock amp or until it goes out. With the MTX amp and 2 memphis 10's the stereo sounds great now. A little better highs and I'll be happy.

yea eDead worked great in the camaro when I replaced the bose system and got more thump and had to get rid of rattle, also saved weight/price over dynamat

2002 Z28

Nice to hear about the eDead, going to put it in today. Only doing the back half of the car and is kinda cold out so going to use a hairdryer. I'm not even doing it for the sound system as much as the damn gear whine and exhaust after the LT headers.

I did it back there too and the biggest improvement was in the wheel wells when I'd go over pebbles that would kick up around in there

Bright Red
    '99 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    will the Eu-700 even fit in the sail panel location. The specs say it has a 6" mount dia. While I measured the factory to be 4".

Quote Originally Posted by amstall
    will the Eu-700 even fit in the sail panel location. The specs say it has a 6" mount dia. While I measured the factory to be 4".
    Not sure what you're measuring, but the factory mount diameter is exactly 6" I've fit them in there no problem

Bright Red
    '99 T/A

apparently i don't know either....i'll just take your word for it and go with it.

Silver
    '99 Trans Am

Why would I get the 4 ohm ED when our amp is 2 ohm? Wouldn't it make more sense to get the 2 ohm ED?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsbane
    Why would I get the 4 ohm ED when our amp is 2 ohm? Wouldn't it make more sense to get the 2 ohm ED?
    Because Dual Voice coil 4ohm means the resistance is split and makes it run at 2ohm, its how the factory speakers are also

Silver
    '99 Trans Am

ahh...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I wonder how much vibration you would get if you had all-aftermarket amplifiers, and ran the eu-700s in the sails..... I despise rattles...

what's this crossover that protects the 6.5 subs that can found at cardomain? what frequencies does it allow?

Thread Information