Monsoon replacement for 99 Z28

This is a discussion on Monsoon replacement for 99 Z28 within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; Okay, I know there are better systems out there, but I want to stay stock for head unit. I'l trying ...

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Monsoon replacement for 99 Z28

Okay, I know there are better systems out there, but I want to stay stock for head unit. I'l trying to find a replacement Monsoon for my 99 Z28. it still works, but the back lighting for the controls is about 2/3 gone and the CD has load errors from time to time. Looking for a good OEM Monsoon to replace it. I like the equalizer features of the Pontiac version, but that looks like it is the wrong color with backlighting. The theft code deal..... is it plug and play IF the replacement unit is uncoded, or does that have to do with the removal of the original one? Not sure how that works.

BTW, lots of Camaro Monsoons on eBay for <$100, but I would entertain purchasing a VERY GOOD condition unit from my LSX community if someone is so inclined. The anti-theft issue has to be explained to me first, but I am all for another Camaro Monsoon (Pontiac version is fine, if it fits right and backlighting is correct). Paypal awaits.

Thanks for any assistance!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Okay, I know there are better systems out there, but I want to stay stock for head unit. I'l trying to find a replacement Monsoon for my 99 Z28. it still works, but the back lighting for the controls is about 2/3 gone and the CD has load errors from time to time. Looking for a good OEM Monsoon to replace it. I like the equalizer features of the Pontiac version, but that looks like it is the wrong color with backlighting. The theft code deal..... is it plug and play IF the replacement unit is uncoded, or does that have to do with the removal of the original one? Not sure how that works.

BTW, lots of Camaro Monsoons on eBay for <$100, but I would entertain purchasing a VERY GOOD condition unit from my LSX community if someone is so inclined. The anti-theft issue has to be explained to me first, but I am all for another Camaro Monsoon (Pontiac version is fine, if it fits right and backlighting is correct). Paypal awaits.

Thanks for any assistance!
    you can always go after market and get a graphic EQ separate... i love the ability to control and shap the sound...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

dude.... i just tossed my stock pontiac monsoon in the trash like a few days ago, it was just taking up space in my garage. I got a pioneer premier and never looked back! especially with the mount I got from HUmount.com it says Firehawk and matches the color of the interior perfectly. and forget the 7 band EQ that the monsoon has. I now have 16 band EQ's on both the right and left channels independantly! it made the stock speakers actually sound GOOD! Makes me want to buy good speakers so badly now. I was worried about the look of an aftermarket HU in my bird but with a good install it almost seems factory anyway. If i can i'll post some pics later.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    dude.... i just tossed my stock pontiac monsoon in the trash like a few days ago, it was just taking up space in my garage. I got a pioneer premier and never looked back! especially with the mount I got from HUmount.com it says Firehawk and matches the color of the interior perfectly. and forget the 7 band EQ that the monsoon has. I now have 16 band EQ's on both the right and left channels independantly! it made the stock speakers actually sound GOOD! Makes me want to buy good speakers so badly now. I was worried about the look of an aftermarket HU in my bird but with a good install it almost seems factory anyway. If i can i'll post some pics later.

My timing sucks! Happy for ya though. I actually have Infinity 62.7i's (or something like that) and they really helped sound quality. The OEM system is okay with me, but I still like the Pontiac version for the 7-band over the Camaro's bass and treble knobs. Actually, I think the backlighting color is better since it goes with the odometer (the Camaro Monsoon has green backlighting).

Look forward to seeing the pics of you install.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Okay... I got the HU delivered (at a steal) and put in. Not exactly an exact fit, but fifteen minutes with a hack saw and dremel tool fixed that. Otherwise, an easy swap.

My instrument panels have white backs and I decided to take a couple of photos to show what it's like in low light. Sorry they ain't the best, but it was 0623 in the morning and I was hurrying.

Anyway, this is what a Pontiac Monsoon HU looks like in a Camaro. Being my Z28 is Hugger Orange w/ White stripes, I kinda like it. I LOVE the EQ as it adds a lot of sculpting that bass and treble knobs and the pre-loaded EQ settings on the Chevy version don't do.

Last edited by jad628; 09-16-2009 at 05:18 PM.

Thread Information