Thread: Monsoon Removal

Black
    2000 ws6 Trans am

Monsoon Removal

Hello everyone. I am trying to remove my factory HU in order to install an inline ipod module. The problem is, the HU will only come out about two thirds and then stops. Got my hand up behind and the main wiring harness is not long enough to allow the HU to be pulled out and disconnected. I tugged on the harness a bit and it wont move. Has anyone had this problem? And if so, what was the remedy. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

That would most likely be your antenna coaxial line. It is very short. You will need to reach up and behind it from under the passenger foot well to disconnect it. This is all if I remember correctly. I tore the whole factory stereo out a number of years back. There is an alingment pin, but it isn't fastened to anything, it just slides into a hole.

Black
    2000 ws6 Trans am

ok guys, got it. The two harnesses coming from the back of the HU are taped together about 6 inches behind the HU. Where that Y in the cable meets, it was stuck on the middle back of the plastic box that the HU sits into. Squeezed my hand up there and moved both harnesses to the same side, then it came out. There is enough wire to easily disconnect the HU. The Ipod thing works good, even though I use a Blackberry Thanks az gt eater

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Yep, what az gt eater said. The antenna wire is stupid short. Gotta get on you back and scratch up your hand a lil to get to it from the passenger side floor.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I guess im just lucky...mine comes right out if you can, shine a flash in behind the headunit and make sure no wires are wrapped around anything in the dash as well.

Black
    2000 ws6 Trans am

OK guys, got her out. The two wiring harnesses coming out of the back of the HU are taped together, and that was hooked on the back of the plastic box that the HU sits in. Squeezed my hand up there and moved the wires over and the HU popped out. Installed the IPOD thing and all is well. Thanks for the replies. Parry

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Mine came out wo issue's, but on several other installs I have had the wires or antenna cable get in the way. Some cars are just dicks. LOL

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I used a pair of long nose pliers to get mine out. Worked great.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thread Information