Thread: monsoon hu

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

monsoon hu

I have a 01ss and the front speakers have just went south and i want a new hu, whats involved in rewiring it? can i keep the steering controls? and wheres the amp located at? i was also told by a buddy i would need an amp bypass for a new hu
    thanks
    chris

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Any aftermarket stereo will work, no modifications needed. A dash kit, a typical gm harness you can get about anywhere, antenna adaptor and a pac swi-x, to retain steering wheel controls. Is a very simple install. The cover around the hvac and stereo just pops off, no screws. Remove the couple screws holding the stereo in, disconnect it and your ready. Wire the typical harness to the appropriate wires on the aftermarket HU and plug it in, put the antenna adaptor and your set. Just the addition of a Kenwood HU to my car made it sound much better. No amp bypass is needed, the Monsoon amp takes the high level signals and converts them on it's own. I would get a HU that has control over the freq of the front and back, you can remove the lower bass that way and the speakers distort less and sound better. I have the fronts playing upper mid and higher, the back seat subs playing my mids and use my 2 10's for the deep bass. Remember when you replace the front speakers that are blown that they run at 2 ohm and there are 2 sets of connections. 1 set is for the tweeter and other the 6.5, the tweeter works off the power from the HU stock or aftermarket, don't connect the tweeter without a crossover or you will blow it. The Woofer works off the Monsoon amp at 2ohm, not many choices in 2 ohm 6.5's, but Infinity makes a reasonably priced Kappa series 2ohm 6.5 #62.7' or 3 way 63.7i with seperate inputs for both, you just use the crossover supplied to run the tweeter and let the Monsoon amp run the Mid since it is already crossed over at the amp. I just started putting some in the other day and hurt my foot walking away from the car, but install was simple and will finally hear them prob Thursday.

The Pac swi-x is about $45, works great, hardest part is finding a place to put the LED to send signals to the HU. There are models made that just plug into the mini jack on the back of the HU, check out the site and you can figure out which one you need for the HU you want and to make sure it is compatible.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 12-07-2005 at 07:18 PM.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

From what I've seen recently the PAC SWI-X goes for around $60 to $70

The POS Monsoon amp is located in front of the spare tire above the rear wheel. It is mounted on a plastic panel and is on the fender side of that panel.

Thread Information