Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Monsoon help plz

This is a discussion on Monsoon help plz within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by MadSeason Sounds like you need a new face for your monsoon HU, return it to the seller ...

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    Sounds like you need a new face for your monsoon HU, return it to the seller or get it fixed. Did your car originally come with the monsoon? It's a camaro correct?
    Front speakers:
    2 ohm woofers

0.6 inch, 4 ohm Dome Tweeters positioned adjacent to the midbass drivers.
    Rear speakers:
    4 inch extended-range speakers in the rear hatch area.
    Sail panel subwoofers:
    6 inch, 2 ohm subwoofers are mounted in the sail panels (rear seating area).
    Whitebird you never quit repeating what I say do you, I also was just mearly asking him if thats the HU he purchased. I'm well aware its the pontiac model, thats just the replacement face i have laying around

White
    2000 Trans Am

Whitebird you never quit repeating what I say do you, I also was just mearly asking him if thats the HU he purchased. I'm well aware its the pontiac model, thats just the replacement face i have laying around
    Repeating you? I was correcting you, you fool!

You ask "Camaro, right?" and then offer a Firebird faceplate that isn't interchangeable and ask him if it looks like his. Of course it doesn't look like his - a screen name of Fin02-Z28 should make that obvious. The mid-range speakers are 6.5S (6.5 inch oversize - 6.75 inch will fit) NOT 6 inch as you said. You also mention door speakers with separate tweeters although the Camaro has coaxial door speakers - only the Firebird has separate tweeters.

I wrote this very slowly because I know you can't read very fast...

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Fin02-Z28
    Thanks for your reply, Yes its a Z28 2002 equipped originally with the Monsoon system, HU with inbuilt CD player, Amplifier behind the spare tire and a 12 disk CD player on the other side. I am not sure what you meant with EQ:s?

How much do you want for a new face?

Still about the 2:nd pair of speakers (Sail Panel speakers) that doesnt work. Do you think it is because they are 4 ohms and should be 2 ohms? Or is there something wrong with my Amplifier that it wont send the right signal to the Sail Panel speakers?

I opened the cover for the Front speaker in the door and saw that there are Pioneers mounted there as well. Are the Pioneer speakers original or aftermarket?
    Have you popped the cover off the sail speakers and watched what they do when the stereo is on? They only produce low range base, so you may not hear them if you're just listening for them. If the speakers are moving when the stereo is on, they're working, they're just not that loud.

1994 POS

look up adjacent in the dictionary, he bought the unit.. it didnt come with his car, was seeing if he got the pontiac version so STFU. Sail panel speakers are 6" and i did not say the size of the front, but those are 6.5S. I'm sure he can measure them either way since he's looked in there to see they're pioneer anyway

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thank you guys! Sorry for causing yet another heated, but yet entartaining discussion. You never seem to run out of ideas how to insult eachother:-)

Anyway, The speakers installed Pioneer , in doors (1:st pair) and sailpanel area (2:nd pair), and Delco original in the Hatch area (3:rd Pair).

The HU I bought is a original Z28, Cabriolet. Works fine except for the Power button and a dark display. Madseason, I guess you don't have a spare then?

Like you said Willdog, the sailpanel (backseat area, 2:nd pair) speakers move but they just give a low rumbling sound, sounding like they are blown (even if they are not). You cant here any music, drums or vocals. They actually worsens the whole sound picture so I have disconnected them. Again, could this terrible sound be because they are 4 ohms instead of the 2 ohm I understand should be factory default?

I have tried the speakers from the hatch (3:rd pair) and they are not blown, because they play great in the hatch area, but in the sailpanel they play just as awful.

1994 POS

if you clock is the only thing not lighting up you can take the face off and replace the bulb thats behind it. I'd tinker with the powerswitch while you have it off also. get some contact cleaner in there and it might be a simple fix unless it is broken and just jammed in

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28

Not sure what you mean with light. The clock is part of the LCD which is solderd to the plate with some 40 points. Looks like the LCD display need to be changed, which is more expensive than a new HU.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

If someone hooked up the Pioneer 2 ways in the sail panel and didn't remove the tweeter or bypass it, you may be hearing the blown tweeter buzzing since the Monsoon only sends low feq to the 6.5's and would easily blow the tweeters and possibly blow the speaker. Even being 4ohm a mid should sound ok, may be a little less bass or more depending on the brand and efficiency. There is no way you should hear highs at all if it is connected like the factory is, since there ar no highs to the sail panel speakers. I would look over the front ones too, whoever put them in may have just hooked the tweeter wires to the Pioneers up front and may not even be using the Monsoon amp to power them since the tweeter inputs are not crossed over and play full freq. That is the reason many people go with the Alpine 4 ohm, since they are easily modded to work with the factory amp and tweeters are easier than most to still keep the crossover. I just took my front door speakers out today to put in Infinity 62.7i's, and they hook up exactly like stock and are 2 ohm, so is a simple install. I haven't listened to them yet due to I went to get a screwdriver stepped in a hole(now I think I tore a ligament in foot or muscle) and just returned from the ER, so will be a few days or more before I can test it out. Sucks, been wanting to do this for a couple years.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Do you under stand any part of Ohm's Law? Guess not, you're only 17. There are no line level outputs in the harnesses for aftermarket head units to goto the amp and they are not compatiable with the the speakers in the system since they're 2ohm. The only thing an after market head unit will run properly with a harness is the front tweeters and rear fill speakers in the trunk in a monsoon system. The amp won't work right at all and you will have no woofers in the system unless you redneck it and want them to blow often due to mismatched impedance. In a Bose System the speaker crossovers are within the Headunit and will not funtion properly at all without replacing the whole system.
    Pretty cocky there. Maybe he's referring to the Trans Am variant? Every single speaker in my 2000 WS6 has an overall load of 4 ohms.

Door woofer - 4
    door tweeter - 4
    sail sub - 2+2 = 4
    hatch woofer = 4
    hatch tweeter = 4

I don't understand the misconception that it's "hard" to work with the monsoon system. You can get great sound by simply buying an aftermarket headunit, and using the $10 wiring harness... or you can do it yourself.

Most high-end shops will actually by-pass the speaker-level input for the monsoon, and use the RCA output from the headunit instead... works great, no headunit amp distortion...

You can replace ANY speaker in the car with aftermarket... they are standard, run-of-the-mill 4-ohm speakers. even if you get a single-coil subwoofer @ 2ohms, you can still wire it properly. You can put in ANY 4 ohm replacement speaker up front, (as long as it fits,)...

What's the big deal? People don't seem to know much about the Monsoon... either that, or their obsession with aftermarket goodness makes them try as hard as possible to get others to convert...

Madseason, you may know *some* of what you're talking about... but damn, you sure come off like an arrogant ass... and about 80% of what you say is wrong, or contradicting...

maybe you could check out this page here? they also have detailed information on the Camaro Monsoon as well.

--w.houston-f-body.org/tech/monsoon/

and if you already knew this information then... wow, you have a strange way of explaining it... (wrongly)

1994 POS

First of all www.houston-f-body.org/tech/monsoon/ has the wrong information up there for the Firebird. They don't even list the information for a vert. The schematics drawn up are also incorrect and poorly drawn. Here are some pictures of the speakers in your WS6 Monsoon System

Midwoofer's 4ohm Dual Voice Coil.. That means it runs at a 2ohm load

Front Woofers, Single Coil, Run at 2ohm load

Proof that their website is wrong.

You can replace ANY speaker in the car with aftermarket... they are standard, run-of-the-mill 4-ohm speakers. even if you get a single-coil subwoofer @ 2ohms, you can still wire it properly. You can put in ANY 4 ohm replacement speaker up front, (as long as it fits,)...
    no you can not use any speaker you want to replace them as long as they fit, and they will not function properly. You need a speaker with two inputs, one for the tweeter and one for the woofer. You also can run 4ohm but it will be at 1/2 the power and much quieter than running 2ohm. Thus making you turn up that volume on your stock or aftermarket HU causing the speakers to blow in time much sooner than their life expectancy. It's people like you saying this and then we get users comming back wondering why they're not getting any bass or highs from their speakers. Do your homework before you go running your mouth.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Funny... I've read that in many places... I wondered why the Camaro would be 2-ohm, and the Firebird 4-ohm

that aside, there still really wouldn't be a problem using an aftermarket headunit with the monsoon... buy the harness, splice yourself, or use the RCA-method.

still think you're being a bit arrogant in this thread... why not tone it down? Maybe you have a personal problem with one of the other posters?

so anyway, the main woofer is 2-ohm... so what impedance is the tweeter that is separately-run off of the headunit itself?

1994 POS

Everything that runs off the headunit isn't pictured above and is all 4ohm. An aftermarket Head unit will work much better but can be a pain if you want to use your 12 disc and steering wheel controls.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

is it like this?

Headunit
    - door tweeter - 4 ohm
    - rear tweeter - 4 ohm

Amp
    - door woofer - 2 ohm
    - rear woofer - 2 ohm
    - sub woofer - 2 + 2 ohm

?

some people are telling me the headunit also powers the rear speakers, and that the amp only powers the front door speakers, and the subs...

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

The Camaro for sure runs the 4inch rear coaxil off the Headunit. Madseason would be better to answer the T/A's far rear speakers setup. I just looked back at what he posted and he said the fronts woofers are 2ohm the back seat subs are 4+4=2ohm and the rest run off the headunit at 4ohms.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 01-26-2006 at 03:25 PM.

dayoungone
    Jeez! all i wanted to know if it was good or not. I like my friends fosgate system ^_^

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    is it like this?

Headunit
    - door tweeter - 4 ohm
    - rear tweeter - 4 ohm
    - rear 4" mid - 4ohm

Amp
    - door woofer - 2 ohm
    - sail panel woofer - 2 ohm (via 4ohm dual voice coil)
    i corrected you

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by dayoungone
    Jeez! all i wanted to know if it was good or not. I like my friends fosgate system ^_^
    don't get these guys started!!I've had plenty of people comment on how good my monsoon sounds for a factory stereo-I love it.It took me four years to blow a door speaker-thats alot of abuse from me cranking it up-lol.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

if you are referring to the fosgate system that appears in the Nisan Titan... or any comparable 'Fosgate' system... then you have low expectations. My boss has the fosgate and he says that my monsoon sounds better.

oh, and earlier you mentioned the EU-700, MadSeason... just so you know, those won't fit without extensive modification, and you may/maynot be able to keep stock speaker covers afterwards. This was a dream of mine from the first moment I heard of these being released, but everyone on the eD boards says it won't work.

Maybe you have tried this?? I would buy them in a heartbeat, along with the 6500s, and some cdt 4"s and yank the stock monsoon completely.

1994 POS

The only Eu-700 I have tested is the 4ohm dual voice coil and it works fine in the sail panels, I didn't have to change anything around to make it fit. I do not know how well the 2ohm single voice coils fit up front if they fit at all. One other person also tried this but had to make a baffel in the sail panels for it to work, I didn't need the clearence but they did. -Mad

Black
    98 Trans Am

The only Eu-700 I have tested is the 4ohm dual voice coil and it works fine in the sail panels, I didn't have to change anything around to make it fit. I do not know how well the 2ohm single voice coils fit up front if they fit at all. One other person also tried this but had to make a baffel in the sail panels for it to work, I didn't need the clearence but they did. -Mad
    Soooo...is this Eu-700 4ohm dual vc a good replacement for the factory sub or what? If so, is it a direct fit?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information