Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    dayoungone

Monsoon help plz

I have never heard of the monsoon car audio system. Is it anygood? Anyone got any links. Also what models do they come one thanks guys.

Black
    99 Z28

monsoon is the factory system that is in either camaro or firebird or TA. It's not that great, not horrible.

dayoungone

Oh

DOH i shouldve known

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

its fucking horrible..the door speakers blow out ever other week and sound like shit. the stock system in my old ford focus sounded better. not to mention if you want to change the speakers from non-mooson type..its really annoying.

Black
    2004 Z06

Almost all factory stereo systems are fairely crappy.
    The Monsoon sounds prety good for a "Factory High Performance" stereo and wasn't meant to play loud like you would with aftermarket systems capable of infinite decibals.
    The monsoon was GM's cheap answer to having a nice stereo for its high perf cars like camaro & corvette and obviously were more concerend with the cars perfromance than its stereo performance.
    The Monsoon CD head unit is the true culprit for shitty sound and you can expect it to start skipping cd's & dysfunctioning fairely quickly.
    Its always recommended to change head units and if you have steering wheel controls you will need to have a sensor installed to use the aftermarket head unit on the controls.
    Its always recommended to swap out the whole system for aftermarket.
    You keep the stock monsoon system in case you want to sell the car as prospective prefer to have the OEM stereo to keep the integrity of the camaro.
    Last edited by eddierox; 09-26-2005 at 03:05 PM.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
    its fucking horrible..the door speakers blow out ever other week and sound like shit. the stock system in my old ford focus sounded better. not to mention if you want to change the speakers from non-mooson type..its really annoying.
    whao...sucks to be you, mine kicks ass. the woofers blew and i replaced them with 2x10's and an amp =)

Pewter
    02' Z28 Vert

Monsoon System

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    whao...sucks to be you, mine kicks ass. the woofers blew and i replaced them with 2x10's and an amp =)
    My door speakers blew on my Monsoon system too. I replaced them with some Infinity speakers And the 12" sub and amp are in the trunk. Oops not much room for the boot for the vert.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

When my woofers blew I just replaced them straight out with some Alpine Type R's. There's not as much bass because the originals are DVC but it sounds OK. I'll probably get a new amp to replace the factory amp to get more power to them. I'll see how that goes.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
    My driver's door speaker is blown. So, I guess I'll have to get another stock speaker, or get rid of the Monsoon system all together. I don't feel like replacing the whole system right now, so I guess I'll get another stock speaker. But I know it's gonna blow sooner or later, too.

sparkymarktx
    I gotta agree - the Monsoon system is horrible. Well, let me clarify - I mean to say that it's NOT RELIABLE. It sounds/plays great while it's working. I've had two T/A's (1995 and 2000) and I've had the CD player quit working FIVE TIMES. On the 1995 T/A, the CD player went out twice while it was under warranty, so I had it replaced with new ones both times, and then it went out again when the warranty was expired. When some fool rearended my 1995 T/A and totalled it, I got a new 2000 T/A WS6. The CD player went out once when it was under warranty, was replaced with a new one, and then it went out again when the warranty had expired. So now I'm driving around listening to the radio... Can't afford to fix the CD player - it's estimated (at the Chevy dealership) at around $250 to fix it. The speakers, on the other hand, have NEVER given me any trouble. Go figure. I hear that's unusual.

See signature.

wow i enjoyed my monsoon system on the way back with my car, way better than my thirdgen stock system! it sounds darn good i think its 500 watts also thats more than enough for me.
    Pontiac Firebird's: 91 Formula 350, 01 Trans Am WS6, Suzuki's: 09 SX4 Crossover, GSX-R's: 06 600 & 07 1K.
    F-Quick Garage & Car Domain

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

My monsoon sounds good except the volume control on the deck is starting to crap out. It only works half the time. Luckily the volume control on the steering wheel works fine.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by MdFormula350
    wow i enjoyed my monsoon system on the way back with my car, way better than my thirdgen stock system! it sounds darn good i think its 500 watts also thats more than enough for me.
    ...waaaay better than 3rd gen system. Not the best, obviously, but a big improvement. Well, except maybe for those darn door speakers. My driver's door speaker is blown.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by supermando
    My monsoon sounds good except the volume control on the deck is starting to crap out. It only works half the time. Luckily the volume control on the steering wheel works fine.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

my CD player on my monsoon quit working which sucks because I actually like the factory system, guess my kenwood is going in

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I like the monsoon...sounds better than any vehicle i've owned

Black
    98 Trans Am

In 98, I dont know about later models, the Monsoon also came in the Hummer.

Black/Gold....Now Sold...
    10th Anny. Firehawk #001

I'm still using the stock Monsoon head unit, in order to maintain the stock appearance of the car. But, I went with Eclipse speakers all around, and a JL Audio 300 Watt x 4 amp, with a JL Audio 10" subwoofer in a custom molded box in the hollow in the driver side rear quarter. Doesn't sound too bad, and I can turn it up without the weak-ass "subs" provided with the Monsoon system puking their guts out.

Mudvayne
    Why don't you guys with cd player problems just get an aftermarket hu

Quote Originally Posted by Mudvayne
    Why don't you guys with cd player problems just get an aftermarket hu
    simple

1. Stock Appearence
    2. Use of steering controlls without pricey adaptors
    3. If you have monsoon or bose, you'd have to rewire everything in your car and replace speakers, also ditch the amp in most cases
    4. 12 Disc cd changer won't work without additional adaptors or harnesses
    5. made in the USA

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information