Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Monsoon amp question....again....[zboner stay out]

since zboner stole my other thread, and i'm sure he'll fuck up this one too:

does the monsoon amp send the same signal to the front mids as it does to the sail panels? for clarification is it:

2 rights and 2 lefts or
    FR, FL
    RR, RL

also do the sails get a lower frequency than the fronts?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

I doubt that anyone here can answer these questions for you. And since GM and Monsoon are so reluctant to give out any info regarding the stereo (I wrote to them both before several years ago and asked) you'll probably never know unless you do your own testing with a test disc using calibrated test signals.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

They all get individual signals

Now, I am extremely picky and pretty much every little thing bothers me, so next time could you put right on the right and left on the left? Thanks Wait, I did it too, put left on the left and right on the right, there

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    They all get individual signals

Now, I am extremely picky and pretty much every little thing bothers me, so next time could you put right on the right and left on the left? Thanks Wait, I did it too, put left on the left and right on the right, there
    thanks for your "input" LOL, i'm being punny, oh and sorry about putting right on the left and not right on the right of left b/c that's just not right. I think this right/left thing should be left alone now, that is if your done:

ing

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

You show me every day why your woman keeps calling me every night

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    You show me every day why your woman keeps calling me every night

Powned

Mystic Teal Metallic 79U
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Heres your answer...the 6.5's in the doors are 2ohm and are full range. The tweeters in the doors above the 6.5's are 4ohm and run off the headunit as well as the tweeters all the way in the back. Both sets of tweeters have passive crossovers. The sail panels 6.5's are 4 ohm bass only that is dictated by the amps internal crossover. The factory amp is located right where the other guy said it is but it is facing away from you. You won't see it. If you reach up in there you can feel it. Its a black box about 8 x 10 x 2 with a big bunch of wires going into it on one side. It will say Delco electronics if you take it out and look at the front. If you are getting sound out of your stock Monsoon system using the stock Monsoon HU then you ARE using the stock POS amp and thats where it is located. I have a VERY informative link for Monsoon car audio but I can't post it. I'll PM you with it.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Dead
    Heres your answer...the 6.5's in the doors are 2ohm and are full range. The tweeters in the doors above the 6.5's are 4ohm and run off the headunit as well as the tweeters all the way in the back. Both sets of tweeters have passive crossovers. The sail panels 6.5's are 4 ohm bass only that is dictated by the amps internal crossover. The factory amp is located right where the other guy said it is but it is facing away from you. You won't see it. If you reach up in there you can feel it. Its a black box about 8 x 10 x 2 with a big bunch of wires going into it on one side. It will say Delco electronics if you take it out and look at the front. If you are getting sound out of your stock Monsoon system using the stock Monsoon HU then you ARE using the stock POS amp and thats where it is located. I have a VERY informative link for Monsoon car audio but I can't post it. I'll PM you with it.
    now that's what i'm talkin' about!!! thanks a lot man. Once you get 10 posts you can put a link up.

z_driver, STFU

slapfool....who let you out of your cage?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

You know you love me and she does too.
    Question: why does everyone hate the monsoon amp, and really the entire system in general?
    I got a good pioneer (nowJVC) HU and cut all the lows from the factory speakers, they sound incredible when you only use them for highs, I unplugged the gay factory subs and put a thunderform in the rear. I get compliments from anyone that isn't running quad 15s and kappa perfect highs all the way around. Once you kill the lows to the factory speakers it sound grrrrrrrrEAT. I'm gonna eat some frosted flakes now

Mystic Teal Metallic 79U
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Most of my complaints about the factory Monsoon is with the volume. Over time..I had 120,000 when I took mine out...the sound really starts to deteriorate to say the least due to the speakers being paper cone with foam surrounds (typical factory) along with the amp distorting after about 17 watts. The speakers DO however have a nice sized magnet and voice coils. I would dare say that if you were to recone the factory speaker with something better and use rubber/santoprene type surround...you'd prolly have a very nice speaker. The flip side of that is the tweeters. They suck. The factory crossovers in the doors are the worst. They can make the factory tweets crackle at high volume. Alot of people don't even know these crossovers exist. They are covered in black foam and taped up so you can't see them but they are there. If you must use the factory amp...get components of decent quality, ditch the factory hook up for the tweeters and hook them to the component crossover, leave the midbass in the sails cause your prolly not gonna hear em anyway unless their blown...then replacement is a must cause they will annoy you, amp and stealth enclosure in the rear should round out the system. One ten with the right amp will put a smile on your face and should you get bored with that you can always get the passenger side one from subthump with another sub. This set up sounds pretty good for a budget system using stock amp. Oh...just disconnect the rear 4in. speakers and tweeters...that was about a joke that GM marketing used to say "we have 10 speakers". Those are about useless. Good luck with your system.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

I like the stock system. My car was 5 years old when the stock "subs" blew out. I replaced them with 2 x 10's but that got old and I missed not being able to store my t's. Now i'm gonna drop a set of ElementalDesign eu700's in teh sails. Originally i was gonna move the full-ranger's from the sails to the front doors, but i questioned if it was worth it since the amp had a crossover. i needed the info from this post to concur: no the front speakers aren't effected by the amp's crossover.

z_driver, tell us the truth: you want fruity pebbles.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Only your fruity pebbles

I guess we have to realize when speaking of the tweeters that I didn't have them. T/As have the seperate tweeets up front and Zs don't. My current Z was a B4C and only had a 4 speaker system, my far rear panels in the hatch are solid and where your factory subs are I have full range speakers from the factory, I really love it

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

I i had a blast re-wiring zboner's z28 last weekend-we put my 2x10's in it

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The factory service manual wiring diagram and component location views don't show a crossover in the doors. I didn't see one either when I was installing my new door speakers (I didn't really look either but just saw the wiring looking like the component location illustration). Could somebody else post the Monsoon website-maybe it would clarify this for me?Thanx!

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

The tweeter crossovers are just a series connected capacitor glued to the back of the tweeter. Any other crossover would be an active crossover inside the amplifier.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Walking-Dead

1998 Pontiac Trans Am
    Mystic Teal Metallic 79U

" Most of my complaints about the factory Monsoon is with the volume. Over time..I had 120,000 when I took mine out...the sound really starts to deteriorate to say the least due to the speakers being paper cone with foam surrounds (typical factory) along with the amp distorting after about 17 watts. The speakers DO however have a nice sized magnet and voice coils. I would dare say that if you were to recone the factory speaker with something better and use rubber/santoprene type surround...you'd prolly have a very nice speaker. The flip side of that is the tweeters. They suck. The factory crossovers in the doors are the worst. They can make the factory tweets crackle at high volume. Alot of people don't even know these crossovers exist. They are covered in black foam and taped up so you can't see them but they are there." -------- I remember a connector for the speaker that clips to the speaker enclosure thingy inside the door that was wrapped in a black foam tape.There is 4 wires going into this and 4 wires coming out-no crossover circuitry.
    Last edited by 02z28ls1; 02-17-2006 at 11:52 AM.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

That wasn't the case with my '99 Trans Am. The only crossover was the cap on the tweet. There was no crossover wrapped in tape anywhere inside my doors. The wires from the HU and POS Monsoon amp come thru the rubber boot into the door and went directly to the speakers.

Crossovers don't cause tweeters to crackile. Sending a badly distorted signal to them does though.

Mystic Teal Metallic 79U
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Well I guess if you guys say it isn't there then I didn't find it and it doesn't exist. It was a figment of my imagination. As far as the passive crossover not causing the tweeter to crackle...when a crossover is not doing its job of filtering low and midrange sound frequency it does in fact make a tweeter pop which is a distorted frequency to the tweeter CAUSED BY a bad crossover cap. So the crossover can apparently cause a tweeter to crackle. As soon as I replaced the factory passive crossover (which doesn't exist of course) with an aftermarket marcap 4.7uf 70V cap inline on the positive side it sounded fine. I just went into the garage and pulled out the make believe factory crossover. It is 2 inches from the factory plug in and has a blue plastic connector that has a clip on it. A black and red wire are connected to it. They lead away from the blue connector and into the crossover...it is not taped as stated before (SORRY) it is in fact glued to the foam around it. Two wires leave the crossover and are red and black also. If you'd like pics of the non-existant crossover I can email them but they might not show up as I apparently am making all this up. This was only in the doors. The factory rear tweeter have the cap right on them. I guess they changed them from 98 to something different in 99 and up cars. What's even funnier about LS1.com is I had another guy arguing that the factory amp didn't exist on the monsoon either...LOL!!! This site sure has changed.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

First off-you will notice how Z-Boner was asked not to participate in this thread,there is a reason for that! (sorry bone-lol).Second point,I am looking in a 98 service manual.Third point-I have a Chevrolet.Fourth point(gasp) there is 4 wires going into my door,and four wires connected to the speaker.There is a connector with 4 wires going into it,with a clip on it,and 4 wires coming out of it.And that's it-nothing else in there.If there's a difference in the Pontiacs it isn't spelled out in the service manual like all the other differences are.Did you buy your car new -and was that the factory speakers?I'm just asking here ,don't rip my head off (again).

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I thought only women tended to overlook me, I'll say it again, pontiacs have seperate tweeters, camaros don't, they will have differing wiring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information