Black
    2000 WS6

Monsoon 6 X 9 Rear Speaker

Will a 6x9 rear Monsoon speaker from a Grand Am GT work in my 2000 WS6? I bought the WS6 this weekend and seller told me speaker was blown. The speaker from the GT is being sold on E Bay for $45.

Black
    '02 TA WS6

Idk about an 2000 for sure, but my 02' WS6 doesn't have 6x9's. It looks like it when you pop the hatch but under that grill is a tiny 1.5 inch speaker.
    The first thing I did when I bought mine (because it had a couple of blown speakers) was completely overhaul the stereo system, with all JL Audio.
    If you try to replace the blown speakers with anything other than monsoon your screwed.
    6.5 (c2-650) components in the front doors, 6.5 (c2-650x)co-axials behind the seats, I had a box built to sit right behind the back seat that holds a set of (true) 6x9s (c2-690tx)and a 12x3v3 sub, and a couple amps: 300/4v2 & 250/1v2 (pushing the sub).
    I did almost all the work myself only cost me around 1500 shopping online for good deals.

Black
    2000 WS6

It's the speaker next to the backseat on the side panel.

Black
    '02 TA WS6

Ohh thats a 6.5 coaxial.

Monsoon's wiring isn't compatible with other speakers, so hince you won't be able to hook a aftermarket speaker up to monsoon's amp.

Black
    2000 WS6

OK thanks.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

The speakers in the backseat sailpanels are not coaxial. They are dual voice coil "sub"woofers and are notorious for blowing. Check out Kee Audio they sale complete speaker replacement packages for Camaros and Firebirds.
    2000 T/A-DMH Cutout, SLP Cold Air kit, FTRA/SLP Upgrade, SLP Bilstein, LT1 Eibach ProKit, Kuhmo PA31 Tires ,SLP Fan Switch, UMI Double Adj PHB w/ Roto-Joints, UMI LCARB, Strano 35/22mm Sway Bars , Magnecor KV85 Wires, Hurst Shifter, Lou's Short Stick.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I wouldn't waste your money on a used stock speaker from a different vehicle. If the sail speakers are blown, check out the kee or elemtal speakers. There's a sticky at the top of this section on replacing the sail speakers.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by CORYSTA View Post
    Ohh thats a 6.5 coaxial.

Monsoon's wiring isn't compatible with other speakers, so hince you won't be able to hook a aftermarket speaker up to monsoon's amp.

As I stated before the Sail panel speakers are Dual Voice Coil Sub-woofers and you can use the factory wiring:

" Replacing the speakers

Replacing the factory speakers is mostly a matter of finding suitable speakers that fit and sound the way you like. Much has been said about the different impedance levels of the factory speakers and most aftermarket speakers but this is not a critical factor. Replacing factory 2-ohm speakers with aftermarket 4-ohm ones would normally cause a noticeable reduction in the volume because of cutting the output power in half. Cutting the power in half does not result in half the volume... it results in a 3dB drop in volume which is noticeable but not a huge difference. That assumes that the speakers have the same sensitivity (efficiency). If the replacement speaker is at least 3dB more sensitive than the original speaker then there will be no loss of volume. The factory speakers are notoriously inefficient so almost any aftermarket replacement, regardless of rated impedance, is going to sound better.

However, there are some things to watch out for when shopping for replacement speakers - the sail panel subs get only low-filtered signal from the amp so putting coaxial speakers there will require some rewiring if you want to get anything out of the tweeters. This is usually done by disconnecting the hatch speakers and pulling those wires forward to the sail panels. Also, the door speakers are wired as components so you either have to buy component replacements or get coaxial speakers that can be modified to separate the wiring of the tweeters from the mids (or you can just install coax speakers and ignore the extra channel up front)."

And the Kee Audio package I'd get would be:

4th Generation Firebird and Camaro Standard Replacement Speaker System
    Firebird
    1.) CDT CL-61CV 6.5" Component Speaker System (doors)
    2.) Bazooka 6.5" DVC Subwoofers (sailpanels)
    3.) JVC 4" CSV426 coaxials (hatch)

You can also get PAC-Audio accessories to interface an aftermarket amp or your smartphone or iphone to the factory system.
    Last edited by BadTA00; 07-18-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Thread Information