Monsoon

This is a discussion on Monsoon within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; I just bought a 2000 Camaro Coupe. Its my first Camaro and first attempt to install new speakers....ever I want ...

catmacman

Monsoon

I just bought a 2000 Camaro Coupe. Its my first Camaro and first attempt to install new speakers....ever I want to replace all 6 speakers, but I only bought 4 for now. They are Pioneer TS-G671M. I pulled off the driverside door panel and removed the old speaker. How do I install the new one? There are too many wire. I need a step by step instruction. Can anybody help me?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Don't replace the hatch speakers -- not really worth it -- if you must, they are 4" round.

The rear sail speakers are woofers -- so full range speakers there will only reproduce lower frequencies and will not produce as much bass as factory. Look into eu700s in the stick above this as a better replacement there, or any midbass driver (CDT M6 is nice).

The door speakers are coaxially mounted components -- use ONLY one pair (the woofer wires pair) to connect to your new coax. It will be getting less power but that's all you can do with the speakers you have right now. In the future, you could run new wires from an aftermarket HU to the doors. The only other alternative you can to right now is modify the speakers so that you can power the woofer/tweeter separately with the existing stock wires.

catmacman
    I have no idea how to change these speakers. I have 2 red wires and 2 black ones in the driverside door. The new speaker only has two connections. How do I know which set is the woofer pair???

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by catmacman View Post
    I have no idea how to change these speakers. I have 2 red wires and 2 black ones in the driverside door. The new speaker only has two connections. How do I know which set is the woofer pair???
    Try both pairs on the new speakers (just don't seal it up in the door and all -- run it gently while its out of the door. In Camaros, the woofer wires receive a full signal, while the tweeter wires do not -- so it the midrange on the new speaker is working with whatever pair of wires you have chosen, you know you have the woofer pair of wires. Try both pairs to be sure.

Always have the battery disconnected unless you are testing the equipment.

silver with black top
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    Don't replace the hatch speakers -- not really worth it -- if you must, they are 4" round.

The rear sail speakers are woofers -- so full range speakers there will only reproduce lower frequencies and will not produce as much bass as factory. Look into eu700s in the stick above this as a better replacement there, or any midbass driver (CDT M6 is nice).

The door speakers are coaxially mounted components -- use ONLY one pair (the woofer wires pair) to connect to your new coax. It will be getting less power but that's all you can do with the speakers you have right now. In the future, you could run new wires from an aftermarket HU to the doors. The only other alternative you can to right now is modify the speakers so that you can power the woofer/tweeter separately with the existing stock wires.
    Great info.

HOTRODZ28

Thread Information