Pewter
    2002 WS6 Convertible

Manual remote start?

I bought a Viper alarm/remote start system. I have seen manual trans vehicles with remote start in them before but I want to make sure it is safe and all before I go and do it.
    All I need to do is splice into the neutral safety switch and put the remote starter in there. My question is, will the computer allow it to start and not engage the trans until its all running under key control not under remote control?

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

are you asking if the computer can disengage the trans until you put the key in? no. If you put a remote start on a manual car, you disable the clutch safety switch to allow the car to be started without the clutch pedal being pressed. problem is, that means if you leave it in gear and remote start it its going to lurch into whatever's in front of or behind it... not to mention you then have to leave it in neutral and trust your e-brake alone to keep it put when its parked. I had a remote start on my last two car (including t/a) but now i bought a manual and decided its not worth all that risk. actually know a guy with a white formula who let his friend drive it, friend left it in gear when he parked it as you normally would, and owner remote started next morning--put it through his garage door. new door and new hood.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

the car doesn't know the difference between running via remote start or by key

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

The trans is engaged mechanically- the computer has no interaction with the engagement of the trans, so "no", there is no way for it to work like that. Also, since you would have to bypass/disable the neutral safety switch it may be illegal to install on your vehicle in your state.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I have an older Viper alarm system with remote start on my w-body and I love it. It was nice (cars a project now) on cold winter mornings when it was -30* to just look out the window and start her up.. But as the others said there's no way for it to take it self out of gear..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

would it be possible to wire it up to a transmission gear selector, so if the transmission was not in neutral it would not be able to start with the remote.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    would it be possible to wire it up to a transmission gear selector, so if the transmission was not in neutral it would not be able to start with the remote.
    Not sure but I imagine the pro's do it that way but can't see why you could'nt wire it to work that way it would be safer that's for sure..

white

I've heard of special kits that will not let your car start if it is not in neutral. In the case of my first car going into my garage within the first month i had it because I tried to pop the trunk and hit 2 buttons on accident, I will never want anything to do with remote start again. I also don't live where the whether gets below negatives.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

My wife's van has it- real nice to have with all the snow and ice we've been having lately. What sucks is that it doesn't automatically turn the heater/defrost on. We've had mornings in the teens and afternoons in the 40's so she comes home from work with the heat off and then has to run out in the morning to turn the heat on so that she can warm the car up. Needless to say, I have little sympathy...

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    The trans is engaged mechanically- the computer has no interaction with the engagement of the trans, so "no", there is no way for it to work like that. Also, since you would have to bypass/disable the neutral safety switch it may be illegal to install on your vehicle in your state.
    I'm 99% it's illegal in everystate. Too many dumb people out there who can't remember not to leave their car in neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    Transmission gear selector would be extremely difficult and expensive. It would much simpler to make the alarm unit recognize what gear it's in, or even what gear it isn't in. It would work as a double safety switch.

Quote Originally Posted by tmemastr View Post
    I bought a Viper alarm/remote start system. I have seen manual trans vehicles with remote start in them before but I want to make sure it is safe and all before I go and do it.
    All I need to do is splice into the neutral safety switch and put the remote starter in there. My question is, will the computer allow it to start and not engage the trans until its all running under key control not under remote control?
    It will start like the key does. Basic alarms are simple electronics. Almost all work excatly the same as turning the key yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    My wife's van has it- real nice to have with all the snow and ice we've been having lately. What sucks is that it doesn't automatically turn the heater/defrost on. We've had mornings in the teens and afternoons in the 40's so she comes home from work with the heat off and then has to run out in the morning to turn the heat on so that she can warm the car up. Needless to say, I have little sympathy...
    My winter beater turns all of that on.
    Last edited by KMdef9; 02-03-2010 at 02:52 PM.

WHITE
    2000 CAMARO

I've been looking into a remote start myself after I saw my brothers. Except his is manual and left it in gear one time and he had to chase his car down..lol. Luckely no one or property got hurt/damaged.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ZR28YELLOWJACKET View Post
    I've been looking into a remote start myself after I saw my brothers. Except his is manual and left it in gear one time and he had to chase his car down..lol. Luckely no one or property got hurt/damaged.
    If you have a manual, it's simply part of the benefits. If your vehicle is well kept up, it should warm up fast enough. Buts that's IMO.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

the remote start was nice--and also had a nice 'wow' factor I've thought a lil about ways to make it safely work; but none have seemed to me effective enough to me to justify doing it. Since a manual car doesn't lock out by knowing if its in neutral or in gear; but by switch on mechanical clutch pedal, you'd have to find a way to effectively switch the gear shift in a way that it was always in one position when car was in neutral and in the opposite position when in gear. A mercury switch could work, mounted on shift lever, would only be activated when lever wasn't straight up in neutral--or when the car was parked on an incline unfortunately. I've also thought about those magnet switches used for securing doors with building security systems. One side mounted on lever, and 2 mounted along the top and bottom of shift gates. Only allow car to start when neither switch is activated. Keep in mind thought, that even when this problem is solved and your car will never start in gear, you now have to park your car in neutral and rely soley on your parking break anytime you plan to remote start it...I don't know if that's a justified risk...

Pewter
    2002 WS6 Convertible

Thats awesome guys. Thats exactly what I was thinking, the car will start and engage unless physically in neutral. I was hoping that the computer could sense that it was in gear and not start or something but oh well. The idea about the switches on the shifter sound like good workable ideas, maybe I will look into that but youre right, I would then have to rely on my parking brake 24/7 and not sure I want to do that.
    Oh well I will continue hooking up my alarm and keep the remote start wires disconnected until I find a solution that I am satisfied with.
    Please let me know if anyone has anymore ideas/solutions/experience with shifter switches.
    Thanks for the great replies.

Thread Information