Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Making the plunge to a Double DIN

This is a discussion on Making the plunge to a Double DIN within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; Nice Job Thanks for sharing Bon...

Black
    2003 Z06 Corvette

Nice Job Thanks for sharing

Bon

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    Here are a couple of pics with the bezel installed:

This is with the radio on. The radio tilts out slightly at the bottom when the radio is on. The nice thing about the Kenwood is you can set the angle to which you want it to tilt. I also like the custom background image feature.

Click for full size

And, of course, radio off in which the radio sits flush.

Click for full size

The one bad thing is that the divider between the radio and a/c controls covers some of the icons on the a/c controls. Poor guy with the vent blowing on him had his head lobbed off.
    Small sacrifice for a great looking piece.

Very nice work bro.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

wow. looks just like the one I paid for :P but good job man. dont think it could look any better than how you did it

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

very nice, really great work

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That turned out really well. Nice job!

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

nice job bro, i like how u put that background of the Hawk in the Head Unit thats awesome

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Seeklogo.com has a number of .eps logo files (Pontiac, TA, etc) for free. I think you can use Irfanview to convert it to another format, but I do graphic and web work so I have Illustrator to edit them natively. That's where I got the logo files to create the background.

I'm (Hurst) Equipped... davebowtie's Avatar

Onyx Black
    '02 Camaro SS(replica) M6

That whole thing came out really sweet! Excellent work!

Black
    2002 Camaro

Thanks for a very thorough way to insert a double din sterio in the car. With this information, it will not be any problem when I shall bring a new sterio in my Camaro. You have solved many problems. Thanks a lot.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

From my understanding, the Camaro's bezel is much more complicated- so I had it easy! Thanks for all the compliments- it wasn't all that difficult and I hope it helps. I have to admit, the time and materials considered, less than $150 is easily worth paying for someone else to do it. $20 in paint and primer, $30 in bondo and finishing glaze, Dremel and cut-off wheel, etc not to mention time invested.

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

From my understanding, the Camaro's bezel is much more complicated- so I had it easy! Thanks for all the compliments- it wasn't all that difficult and I hope it helps. I have to admit, the time and materials considered, less than $150 is easily worth paying for someone else to do it. $20 in paint and primer, $30 in bondo and finishing glaze, Dremel and cut-off wheel, etc not to mention time invested.
    YEA but the satisfaction of knowing YOU were the one who did it is always better in my book

Black
    2000 WS6

I just did mine over Christmas. I absolutley love the set up. I used plexi-glass and expoxy to fill in the sides. Then bondo, sand and paint. I really was way out of my pay grade on this, but I believe mine come out almost perfect. Good Job

Black
    1999,Camaro z28

hi im just about to put a computer in my camaro with 7 inch touch screen when i finish i will post some pic that will take some time all the stuff that i want to do . its beautiful GPS HD RADIO BACK UP CAMERA INTERNET PHONE OBD 2 WITH SOFTWARE Centrafuse on my windows xp pro and then summer time detaling on out side ,gonna paint the hole car put some work on my babe take care

flyinpastu
    Quote Originally Posted by Armani Camaro View Post
    hi im just about to put a computer in my camaro with 7 inch touch screen when i finish i will post some pic that will take some time all the stuff that i want to do . its beautiful GPS HD RADIO BACK UP CAMERA INTERNET PHONE OBD 2 WITH SOFTWARE Centrafuse on my windows xp pro and then summer time detaling on out side ,gonna paint the hole car put some work on my babe take care

where in ny are you from

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Installed radio today- I'm using a Kenwood DDX714- I do not claim to be an expert, just a schmuck with too little money to pay someone else to do it and just enough tools to do it myself- do this at your own risk! I'll post the template tomorrow when I get to work and can scan the image.

Step 1.
    Click for full size
    Remove radio. You'll need to cut out the plastic tray, but that is real easy with a Dremel and a cut-off wheel.

Click for full size
    The removed tray and my sexy hand.

Step 2.
    Click for full size
    Bend this bracket out of the way. I pushed it down and this is what I zip tied my PAC unit to that makes the steering wheel controls work with the Kenwood.

Step 3.
    Click for full size
    I made a template of the opening so I could make the brackets.

Step 4.
    Click for full size
    Cut strip of 22g steel and used the template to form the rounded ends.

Step 5.
    Click for full size
    Using the template and my drill press I drilled out the appropriate holes for the screws, the nipples sticking out from the dash, and the hols for the clips from the bezel. Since the tray and bracket were removed, the only thing holding the radio steady is this bracket. I figured a bigger bracket that the clips also held in would help in stabilizing and hopfully reduce the risk of a cd skipping.

Click for full size
    I then cut the strip in half and cleaned up the rough edges with a grinder.

Step 6.
    Click for full size
    I then bent the ends (using a bench vice, a hammer and a piece of 2x4- not the most professional method but it worked), measuring in about 1.25" in from the end of the bracket.

Step 7.
    Click for full size
    I then made templates for the sides of the radio, drilled the appropriate holes, cut off the excess length from the brackets, cleaned everything up and painted them satin black.

Next up: Bezel, installing more secure bolts (may not stop a thief but it sure will slow them down and tick them off!), adding on components to the radio, and then it's off to amps and speakers.
    These photos arent showing up - maybe due to being 3 years later. Can you repost the pics with your instructions or does anyone have these photos anymore?
    Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information