Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A.M. band line noise

This is a discussion on A.M. band line noise within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; This is an interesting thread because I assumed all Camaros had lousy AM reception. Mine is no different, it acts ...

White
    2001 Z28

This is an interesting thread because I assumed all Camaros had lousy AM reception. Mine is no different, it acts exactly like the original authors and I also have an aftermarket setup. If you ever find a culprit, please post a follow up.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Well, at least they didn't leave you amp-less when they took out the other subs and amp.

And, now you know where the amp is and what it looks like
    Yes I do. Thanks. I worked for Toyota for a long time, and thier amps aren't encapsulated like that, theyre just the metal casing type. I thought that my amp was some sort of resonance chamber or something. Well, looks like the next step is taking the dash apart.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

As far as finding this short goes, after I check the underdash, I'm going to need to check the wiring in the front bumper/reinforcement area (the parts that were replaced from when my car got hit). How hard is it to remove the bumper cover/fascia, and re-install re-align?

White
    2001 Z28

FYI - Just bought a crossover for a competing manufacturer (to help with tasks for which the camaro is ill-suited) and the AM signal is crystal clear. It's wonderful; why can't GM do this?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Thewilldog View Post
    FYI - Just bought a crossover for a competing manufacturer (to help with tasks for which the camaro is ill-suited) and the AM signal is crystal clear. It's wonderful; why can't GM do this?
    Do you have more info? I'm not sure what you mean by a "crossover". Can you send alink for the data???

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Do you have more info? I'm not sure what you mean by a "crossover". Can you send alink for the data???
    Hey, I meant that I'd recently purchased a crossover style vehicle from a competing manufacturer, a CUV. The stock radio in the new car has perfect AM reception along the same daily driving route as my Camaro which has terrible AM reception. I'm just lamenting that the radio in the competition is far superior to the Camaro (and most GM vehicles I've experienced thus far.)

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    I know you put electrical tape on it. But it would be the first thing I would look for now.
    Okay, I finally got under the dash during Thanksgiving (only time I had free). I tracked that last wire to a wiring cluster under and slightly to the left of the steering column. It was attached to a pink wire by means of a "donut connector", a metal donut shaped ring straight into the wire itself. I was told by my neighbor who is an industrial electricitian that the donut is to prevent a certain amount of amps (I think he said Amps) to spike through the system. Well the wires off but the donut connector is still there, as I didn't feel confident enough to screw with it. Recpetion is still the same.

I'm still wodnering about the connection I have been the ignition and the reception. When the engine is off, the reception is better. When I fire it up, especially if I rev it up, it gets incrimentally worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information