Thread: LED swap

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

LED swap

hey guys i want to do leds in my tail lights,not a bulb replace but rather open the tail light housing and place a led per honey comb.can anyone offer info for this like will i need something so my cruise control will still work,because i know there is a feed level coming from the light to allow the cruise to work. i also know people have just done a bulb swap over to led and there cruise would not work after words

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    hey guys i want to do leds in my tail lights,not a bulb replace but rather open the tail light housing and place a led per honey comb.can anyone offer info for this like will i need something so my cruise control will still work,because i know there is a feed level coming from the light to allow the cruise to work. i also know people have just done a bulb swap over to led and there cruise would not work after words
    Those people did something wrong. I have LED's in my tails and have no issues.

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

do you have pictures of this and how hard was it to do thanks

White
    1998 Trans Am

Not sure how many less you would need to to the taillights that way but the bulbs have nothing to do.with the cruise control since I have front and real led buds and all I had to do was change to an electronic flasher so they would flash properly without using resistor s
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

it was most likley you got replacment bulbs with buils in resistors,what im trying to do is take high intensity led strips and place them against the inside of the lens, so there is one led per honeycomb.i haven't actualy counted but there has to be something like 35-45 honeycombs on the tail light. i am trying to go for like a Cadillac looking tail light,i plan to also look into some kind of sequental flash to them.(kinda like some grand national aftermarket led taillights) i just need to know what kind of resistors i need an how i can get the sequental flash.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

it was most likley you got replacment bulbs with buils in resistors,what im trying to do is take high intensity led strips and place them against the inside of the lens, so there is one led per honeycomb.i haven't actualy counted but there has to be something like 35-45 honeycombs on the tail light. i am trying to go for like a Cadillac looking tail light,i plan to also look into some kind of sequental flash to them.(kinda like some grand national aftermarket led taillights) i just need to know what kind of resistors i need an how i can get the sequental flash.
    Yes, resistors in mine, but still could never cause a problem with cruise control.

I wouldn't lay HI LED's directly on, as they produce some heat.

Some people have sequeantial tail lights on here, I can't remember the link. There for a regular setup, but I'm sure you'll be able to appy them to this idea.

This would be pretty cool if you can pull it off.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

The the sequential light that I see on our cars just take the three bulbs in the back and flash inside to outside I'm looking for an entire led tail light. So far I can't seem to find anywhere that I can get the appropriate stuff to get the job done. I have a old tail light that I had to replace because the reflective material inside went to sh!t due to condensation getting into it. I'm going to open it up an use it as my giney pig,whenever I finally get a day off.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Not sure how many less you would need to to the taillights that way but the bulbs have nothing to do.with the cruise control since I have front and real led buds and all I had to do was change to an electronic flasher so they would flash properly without using resistor s
    Sorry to hijack the OPs thread but I was wonderiong what kind of electronic flasher to buy since I have this same problem. Thanks!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

The the sequential light that I see on our cars just take the three bulbs in the back and flash inside to outside I'm looking for an entire led tail light. So far I can't seem to find anywhere that I can get the appropriate stuff to get the job done. I have a old tail light that I had to replace because the reflective material inside went to sh!t due to condensation getting into it. I'm going to open it up an use it as my giney pig,whenever I finally get a day off.
    So you want each individual column of LED's to turn on and off in sequence?

I was suggesting that product b/c I know it's out there, but you'd have to divide the LED's into 3 or 4 sections.

I'm not sure if they make something that will allow that many sequences, maybe a series of flasher/sequencers in a row inoreder to achieve that. But outside of wiring up your own breadboard with a microprocessor and writing the software yourself, I'm not sure how to do it.

Another thing to keep in mind with LED's, they go on to off. They don't fade in and fade out like incandescents. So, it may not have the same look as other vehicles.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukQhRsNE8Jg[/ame]

this is what i am trying to accomplish only for our cars

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

this is what i am trying to accomplish only for our cars
    Pretty sweet!

Some time, money and effort into those.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

I think that's a cool idea. You would have to split the lens and housing right? I saw a friend do a 12 volt neon system inside his challenger lights. Looks ultra sweet, sort of like some of the new BMW's.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

ya i would have to split it open. i was thinking of putting it in the oven to melt the glue, i had a buddy do that to his cobalt head lights to paint them black

Thread Information