Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

LED cluster bulbs

This is a discussion on LED cluster bulbs within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; have any of you guys ever changed the stock bulbs in your 4th generation camaro/firebird clusters to bright LED bulbs? ...

  1. #1
    **Te@M fBoDy** fbodyNATION's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Woodlands,Texas...N.O.
    Posts
    1,016

    Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    LED cluster bulbs

    have any of you guys ever changed the stock bulbs in your 4th generation camaro/firebird clusters to bright LED bulbs? im thinking about changing mine but i wanted to see what kind of results you guys got,post pics if you like

  2. #2
    BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    855

    TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

    Im also interested in this...

  3. #3
    The Silver Bullet LS1_ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Brush Colorado
    Posts
    323

    Silver
    1999 Trans Am

    I did the blue leds i ended up with alot of problems as you can see in the pic but i fixed it. Its actually brighter in real life.

  4. #4
    **Te@M fBoDy** fbodyNATION's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Woodlands,Texas...N.O.
    Posts
    1,016

    Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by LS1_ws6 View Post
    I did the blue leds i ended up with alot of problems as you can see in the pic but i fixed it. Its actually brighter in real life.
    Click for full size
    nice,i want to keep the stock color,but get the LEDs for a brighter look,but i have a couple of questions for ya,where did you order your LEDs from? what kind of problems did you have? are the LED cluster bulbs 194s like the stock bulbs? and are they plug and play like the stock bulbs

  5. #5
    Member tpilews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    918

    Black
    '98 Z28



    If you're not going to change color, I'd keep the bulbs the way they are. Or just replace them with new ones.

  6. #6
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    I am interested in this also, I'd like to change mine to a green color.

  7. #7
    Member tpilews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    918

    Black
    '98 Z28

    From what I remember about this, it can only be done with a camaro. The Trans Ams gauge cluster has it's red color impregnated with the plastic. On the Camaros, the red color is a add on paint that can be sanded off. I know this to be true for 1998. I'm not sure about the other years. When I did mine on my TA back in the day, I had to get a Camaro gauge cluster.

  8. #8
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    From what I remember about this, it can only be done with a camaro. The Trans Ams gauge cluster has it's red color impregnated with the plastic. On the Camaros, the red color is a add on paint that can be sanded off. I know this to be true for 1998. I'm not sure about the other years. When I did mine on my TA back in the day, I had to get a Camaro gauge cluster.
    Well that sucks, oh well I am going to get a custom cluster from 6LE at some point so ill have them make it light up green.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Age
    54
    Posts
    464

    BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    From what I remember about this, it can only be done with a camaro. The Trans Ams gauge cluster has it's red color impregnated with the plastic. On the Camaros, the red color is a add on paint that can be sanded off. I know this to be true for 1998. I'm not sure about the other years. When I did mine on my TA back in the day, I had to get a Camaro gauge cluster.
    Not sure what Camaro you're looking at, but Camaros don't have a red color. That stock red color you're referring to is a Pontiac thing. Stock Camaro color is white.

  10. #10
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    I haven't seen a camaro with red in the cluster either
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 05-06-2011 at 12:39 PM.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Age
    54
    Posts
    464

    BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I haven't seen a camaro with red in the cluster either
    What he said:
    "On the Camaros, the red color is a add on paint that can be sanded off".

    So, he got a Camaro cluster so he could sand off the red? Call me confused because there is no red, sandable or otherwise, on a Camaro cluster.

  12. #12
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    What he said:
    "On the Camaros, the red color is a add on paint that can be sanded off".

    So, he got a Camaro cluster so he could sand off the red? Call me confused because there is no red, sandable or otherwise, on a Camaro cluster.
    Maybe on the 98s that's the way it was. At least, that's what he said. I don't have a camaro so I have no clue.

  13. #13
    The Silver Bullet LS1_ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Brush Colorado
    Posts
    323

    Silver
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by fbodyNATION View Post
    nice,i want to keep the stock color,but get the LEDs for a brighter look,but i have a couple of questions for ya,where did you order your LEDs from? what kind of problems did you have? are the LED cluster bulbs 194s like the stock bulbs? and are they plug and play like the stock bulbs
    I got these at superbrightleds. my problems were the needles would be in a completly different place then they are suppose to be(it turned the car on speedo read 120mph). the bulb is the 6 Radially Mounted High Power SMD LED, 360 degree beam

    select wled-xhp6
    and they are plug and play.
    Last edited by LS1_ws6; 05-06-2011 at 09:19 PM.

  14. #14
    Member 10erg01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Columbia, Mo
    Posts
    112
    1998 Firebird Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by LS1_ws6 View Post
    I got these at superbrightleds. my problems were the needles would be in a completly different place then they are suppose to be(it turned the car on speedo read 120mph). the bulb is the 6 Radially Mounted High Power SMD LED, 360 degree beam

    select wled-xhp6
    and they are plug and play.
    Did you have to get a camaro gauge cluster? or did you do something different?

  15. #15
    The Silver Bullet LS1_ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Brush Colorado
    Posts
    323

    Silver
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 10erg01 View Post
    Did you have to get a camaro gauge cluster? or did you do something different?
    Nope its still the stock trans am one.

  16. #16
    Member 98CamaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New Jersey.
    Posts
    219

    Navy Blue
    98-Camaro SS.

    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Maybe on the 98s that's the way it was. At least, that's what he said. I don't have a camaro so I have no clue.
    Nope, 98's Camaro's (cluster lights) are not red either.

  17. #17
    **Te@M fBoDy** fbodyNATION's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Woodlands,Texas...N.O.
    Posts
    1,016

    Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by LS1_ws6 View Post
    Nope its still the stock trans am one.
    so your cluster is fine now?

  18. #18
    Member Sas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Loveland/Ft. Collins, CO
    Age
    38
    Posts
    359

    Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

    Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    From what I remember about this, it can only be done with a camaro. The Trans Ams gauge cluster has it's red color impregnated with the plastic. On the Camaros, the red color is a add on paint that can be sanded off. I know this to be true for 1998. I'm not sure about the other years. When I did mine on my TA back in the day, I had to get a Camaro gauge cluster.
    I did it on my Firebird, and it was a pain, but the red can be removed from the back of the cluster, with some time and care.

  19. #19
    The Silver Bullet LS1_ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Brush Colorado
    Posts
    323

    Silver
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by fbodyNATION View Post
    so your cluster is fine now?
    yep everything works fine now

  20. #20
    Member tpilews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    918

    Black
    '98 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Sas View Post
    I did it on my Firebird, and it was a pain, but the red can be removed from the back of the cluster, with some time and care.
    Well, then it must have been a firebirds then. I cant remember, that was quite a few years ago. All I remember was buying a second gauge cluster and standing off red from the back. The biggest pain was getting the needles set back perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Dash / Instrument Cluster Bulbs
    By 01SsRacing in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 02:05 PM
  2. Headlight bulbs?
    By bad4ss in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2010, 03:31 PM
  3. Bulbs to LED's?? NOOB HERE
    By GOR1LA in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 10:07 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 11:31 AM
  5. looking for 2 amber light bulbs. the DRL bulbs..
    By djvaly in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 11:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •